Sunderland 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 16/01/11 - post match reaction from page 41

Dave

I think what makes the whole thing worse for me is we'll have to see the smug look on Bruce's face on MOTD2 tonight whilst telling us how he's put together a hard working set of lads that keep on fighting till the end for their magnificent fans.

Just remember that he'll be saying this through gritted teeth because his team only just managed to scrape a draw against their newly promoted local rivals.

Guest Geordiesned

Sorry if posted already but just home and a tad pissed...

Steve Bruce praised the Sunderland fans who handed over to police the pitch invader who confronted Newcastle's goalkeeper, Steve Harper, during this afternoon's derby.

The supporter ran from behind the goal and appeared to push the 35-year-old to the ground in the immediate aftermath of Asamoah Gyan's injury-time equaliser as the Black Cats snatched a 1-1 draw at the Stadium of Light.

There were ugly scenes after the final whistle too as rivals fans hurled seats at each other, and the Football Association were tonight awaiting referee Howard Webb's report.

Webb was quick to spot the earlier incident and make sure stewards and police knew who the alleged offender was, and Bruce was quick to condemn the intruder's actions.

The Sunderland manager said: "All I saw was Steve Harper on the floor. I didn't know what had happened at the time. I would like say a 'well done' to the Sunderland fans who gave the kid up – and he is a kid, that's what I can't understand either, the age of the lad. But the Sunderland fans gave him up, and rightly so. He's in police custody as we speak.

"The one thing we are up here, we love the football and the passion and all the rest of it, but you don't need to see any scenes like that. I hope they ban the kid for a long, long time because he deserves it. When I saw the age of him, I just really can't understand society today. What goes through his mind when we have just scored with a minute to go?

"Why the hell he has got to come on to the pitch and confront Steve Harper baffles me. When you see the age of this young kid, it is quite remarkable how has got that in his mind, to run on to the pitch. Why don't you just celebrate with 50-odd thousand like everybody else did? Unfortunately, it is a sad indictment of where we are with the youth of today. He's a kid. It's ridiculous."

The Newcastle manager, Alan Pardew, also voiced his disapproval, but was happy that Harper had not suffered any injury in the incident.

He said: "When you get a last-minute goal in a derby match, there is going to be an over-reaction from everybody, perhaps, you could argue. "That particular fan, that shouldn't happen, as we know. He got over-exuberant. I think he pushed him [Harper] in the back. I don't think there was anything malicious about it.

"I don't really want to harp on about the incident towards the end of the game. When you get a last-minute goal like that, passions are running high and people have to control themselves. That is, of course, out of our control, but the two sets of players conducted themselves well, and that's what we will take from the game.

"Harps said he barged him in the back. When I first saw it, I thought it was an uglier incident, if I am honest. I didn't look a good incident, but I don't think it was that bad in terms of hurting Harps or anything. No punch or anything like that was thrown."

Northumbria Police confirmed there had been 24 arrests before, during and after the game, which was attended by a crowd of 47,864, for offences including drunk and disorderly, disorderly conduct and going into the playing area.

The match commander, temporary Chief Superintendent Steve Neill, said: "The crowd was mainly good natured and the overwhelming majority wanted nothing more than to enjoy the action on the pitch in an atmosphere free from violence and disorder.

"However, there were still some troublemakers who were determined to spoil things for the genuine fans. We had anticipated the potential for disorder and had the resources in place to deal with it swiftly and firmly.

"The policing operation went well and I would like to commend the actions and professionalism of all the officers involved who managed to diffuse a number of difficult situations. I would also like to thank the stewards for their assistance."

hmmm, can you put a magpies head under its wing like you can a dove? If so then it'd be easy to sneak one in, but looking at the picture it doesn't look like it's had its wings clipped cruelly. I don't think that story adds up.

Bat's "see" with sound so a noisey football match would disorientate it, explaining why it kept flying into the roof.

Thought the 5mins ET was probably fair, 5 subs n all... We let ourselves down, not the ref.

I'm loving reading all the SMB posts; and they call US deluded. haha. Pity they seem to have closed the thread about dropping a knife, would've enjoyed seeing what their reaction was to one of their own fans taking a weapon into the ground.

Nolan: 'One of the most despicable individuals playing in the top flight'

:mackems:

at least one of them had the good sense to point out he wouldn't even be one of the most despicable individuals in our team,

seriously other than the fact he's playing for us where does the hatred come from out of all the players in the prem nolan wouldn't be high on the despicable list

Nolan: 'One of the most despicable individuals playing in the top flight'

:mackems:

at least one of them had the good sense to point out he wouldn't even be one of the most despicable individuals in our team,

seriously other than the fact he's playing for us where does the hatred come from out of all the players in the prem nolan wouldn't be high on the despicable list

Cos he always scores against them ergo in Mackem land he's a despicable individual.

Awesome day, brilliant other than the obvious disappointment of the goal. However we bossed them on the pitch and in the stands and any talk of "revenge"'was made to look very silly indeed. Proud of our boys on the pitch and off it today. The shite can have their moment of the goal but when that fades they'll know that we pissed on them over both games with two great performances and some unreal support.

Nolan's goal was an amazing moment. Absolute carnage.

According to SMB today the two games this season were one offs.

dosen't add up.

???

It's funny really, I've looked on quite a number of opposition fans' forums after we've beaten them (particularly away from SJP) and every single one of them has included people saying we're actually really shit and they made us look better than we are. Hmm.

dosen't add up.

???

It's funny really, I've looked on quite a number of opposition fans' forums after we've beaten them (particularly away from SJP) and every single one of them has included people saying we're actually really shit and they made us look better than we are. Hmm.

I know - we shitted ourselves all the way to the championship last season. :lol:

but Dave - i was ridiculing the logic of 2 one offs. :lol:

Awesome day, brilliant other than the obvious disappointment of the goal. However we bossed them on the pitch and in the stands and any talk of "revenge"'was made to look very silly indeed. Proud of our boys on the pitch and off it today. The shite can have their moment of the goal but when that fades they'll know that we pissed on them over both games with two great performances and some unreal support.

:thup:

dosen't add up.

???

I know - we shitted ourselves all the way to the championship last season. :lol:

Every fucking week. Aren't we lucky that everyone did their best to help us! Must have thought we deserved to be back in the Premier League. :)

dosen't add up.

???

Every fucking week. Aren't we lucky that everyone did their best to help us! Must have thought we deserved to be back in the Premier League. :)

and we deserve to stay up this season.

Nice, nice people :)

I said to my mate, you simply can't buy moments like it. It was such a buzz, people flying everywhere, random hugs all round.

Awesome day, brilliant other than the obvious disappointment of the goal. However we bossed them on the pitch and in the stands and any talk of "revenge"'was made to look very silly indeed. Proud of our boys on the pitch and off it today. The s**** can have their moment of the goal but when that fades they'll know that we pissed on them over both games with two great performances and some unreal support.

:thup:

Our supporters did look and sound top quality.

I said to my mate, you simply can't buy moments like it. It was such a buzz, people flying everywhere, random hugs all round.

Aye it was similar to when Dabizas scored, fantastic

Guest Geordiesned

I actually feel very happy tonight. We've ventured into enemy territory where the inbred fuckers were supposed to get "revenge". Instead all they got was a lucky point And rightful distaine for the actions of their scum fans.

They can stick "FTM" on their Facebook and Twitter statuses, their flags they remove by half time and on their Newcastle obsessed tattoos just to show how much they want to be Geordies but they never will be.

They will always be our poor neighbours and will always envy us. And the inbreds on RTG will no doubt be frothing at the mouth (if they can read) at this. If you are resting this you Mackem counts... Hahahahahahahahahshahahahaha :-)

Theres no doubt that Steve Bruce would have walked over broken glass to get the Newcastle job and privately he concedes that coming back to the NE to manage Sunderland was a very inferior consolation prize.

I'm glad he went there, he's a man of little professional integrity and will never be able to manage a big club.

SAFC and Bruce go very well together.