Sunderland 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 16/01/11 - post match reaction from page 41

Dave

The Football Association is poised to launch an investigation after a young Sunderland fan invaded the pitch and attacked the Newcastle United goalkeeper, Steve Harper, in the 1-1 draw at the Stadium of Light today.

It is the second time in a week that a player has been attacked by a supporter, after a man was charged for assaulting Stevenage's Scott Laird following their shock FA Cup victory over Newcastle.

The Sunderland manager, Steve Bruce, condemned the incident on an afternoon in which rival supporters ripped seats out of their stanchions and hurled them at each other after the final whistle. Northumbria Police said there had been 24 arrests before, during and after the game,, which was attended by a crowd of 47,864, for offences including drunk and disorderly, disorderly conduct and invading the playing area.

Bruce, who as a neighbour of Harper in Northumberland regularly meets the goalkeeper when they are out walking their Boxer dogs, was appalled by the events which unfolded after Asamoah Gyan's goal – struck in the fourth minute of stoppage time – levelled Kevin Nolan's opener. "The kid's in police custody," Bruce said, before expressing relief that Howard Webb, the referee, had combined with horrified spectators in helping the police to identify and arrest the culprit. "I hope he's banned for a long, long time. I saw Steve Harper on the floor and I didn't know what had happened. We never want to see scenes like that; I don't know what was going through the kid's mind. It was ridiculous.

"When I saw the kid – and he really is just a kid – I can't understand society today. I would like to say well done to the Sunderland fans who gave him up."

Alan Pardew, Newcastle's manager – who once again reiterated that his key striker Andy Carroll, absent here due to a thigh injury, is "definitely not" for sale – suggested the youth had merely become overexcited. "When I first saw it I thought it looked an uglier incident than it really was," Pardew said. "I don't think there was anything malicious about it, there wasn't a punch thrown or anything."

Even so the FA will await Webb's referee's report with interest and will almost certainly launch an inquiry into today's events on Wearside before potentially imposing sanctions on Sunderland.

The match commander, temporary Chief Superintendent Steve Neill, said: "The crowd was mainly good natured. However, there were still some troublemakers who were determined to spoil things for the genuine fans."

Fucking loved today despite that late goal. Obviously disappointed with that, but I really thought they were going to have a glorious revenge rape. Also I was on the border with the mackems so I wound them up no end, laughing at them gloating at a 1-1 home draw. So sweet seeing someone dragged away or aiming coins at you as 5-1 gestures turn to hurt.

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/108070979.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6206EE6524B252BE62742E48751487FF978DD717761328E03

:celb:

He's got a white hand.

He's got a weft one too :)

It cant be underestimated how big a deal this was. A fan running on the pitch and assaulting a player deserves heavy sanctions.

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/108070979.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6206EE6524B252BE62742E48751487FF978DD717761328E03

:celb:

He's got a white hand.

He's got a weft one too :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Football Association is poised to launch an investigation after a young Sunderland fan invaded the pitch and attacked the Newcastle United goalkeeper, Steve Harper, in the 1-1 draw at the Stadium of Light today.

It is the second time in a week that a player has been attacked by a supporter, after a man was charged for assaulting Stevenage's Scott Laird following their shock FA Cup victory over Newcastle.

The Sunderland manager, Steve Bruce, condemned the incident on an afternoon in which rival supporters ripped seats out of their stanchions and hurled them at each other after the final whistle. Northumbria Police said there had been 24 arrests before, during and after the game,, which was attended by a crowd of 47,864, for offences including drunk and disorderly, disorderly conduct and invading the playing area.

Bruce, who as a neighbour of Harper in Northumberland regularly meets the goalkeeper when they are out walking their Boxer dogs, was appalled by the events which unfolded after Asamoah Gyan's goal – struck in the fourth minute of stoppage time – levelled Kevin Nolan's opener. "The kid's in police custody," Bruce said, before expressing relief that Howard Webb, the referee, had combined with horrified spectators in helping the police to identify and arrest the culprit. "I hope he's banned for a long, long time. I saw Steve Harper on the floor and I didn't know what had happened. We never want to see scenes like that; I don't know what was going through the kid's mind. It was ridiculous.

"When I saw the kid – and he really is just a kid – I can't understand society today. I would like to say well done to the Sunderland fans who gave him up."

Alan Pardew, Newcastle's manager – who once again reiterated that his key striker Andy Carroll, absent here due to a thigh injury, is "definitely not" for sale – suggested the youth had merely become overexcited. "When I first saw it I thought it looked an uglier incident than it really was," Pardew said. "I don't think there was anything malicious about it, there wasn't a punch thrown or anything."

Even so the FA will await Webb's referee's report with interest and will almost certainly launch an inquiry into today's events on Wearside before potentially imposing sanctions on Sunderland.

The match commander, temporary Chief Superintendent Steve Neill, said: "The crowd was mainly good natured. However, there were still some troublemakers who were determined to spoil things for the genuine fans."

Aye...

Bruce, who as a neighbour of Harper in Northumberland regularly meets the goalkeeper when they are out walking their Boxer dogs, was appalled by the events which unfolded after Asamoah Gyan's goal struck in the fourth minute of stoppage time levelled Kevin Nolan's opener. "The kid's in police custody," Bruce said, before expressing relief that Howard Webb, the referee, had combined with horrified spectators in helping the police to identify and arrest the culprit. "I hope he's banned for a long, long time. I saw Steve Harper on the floor and I didn't know what had happened. We never want to see scenes like that; I don't know what was going through the kid's mind. It was ridiculous.

"When I saw the kid and he really is just a kid I can't understand society today. I would like to say well done to the Sunderland fans who gave him up."

Alan Pardew, Newcastle's manager who once again reiterated that his key striker Andy Carroll, absent here due to a thigh injury, is "definitely not" for sale suggested the youth had merely become overexcited. "When I first saw it I thought it looked an uglier incident than it really was," Pardew said. "I don't think there was anything malicious about it, there wasn't a punch thrown or anything."

From what was said and written prior to the match it seemed a hell of a lot of Sunderland fans were intent on causing trouble and violence.

It was not a small minority by any means.

It cant be underestimated how big a deal this was. A fan running on the pitch and assaulting a player deserves heavy sanctions.

Especially considering how frequently it happens at the Stadium of Light. Certainly not an isolated incident.

I may be losing my grasp on football but after seeing about 5 or 6 of their games this season can someone please explain the Jordan Henderson hype to me ?  What is it he does ?

Is it speed, getting past defenders, goal scoring, passing - I'm trying to see what it is he does to get talked about so much, but I just seem to be missing the point ??

been saying this for a while in regards to the rest of their team aswell. very good performances V chelsea and spurs and dull and workmanlike otherwise when i've seen them. right now they are clinging on to the hope that they finish as high as they are now. it'll be interesting to see if they do.

I may be losing my grasp on football but after seeing about 5 or 6 of their games this season can someone please explain the Jordan Henderson hype to me ?  What is it he does ?

Is it speed, getting past defenders, goal scoring, passing - I'm trying to see what it is he does to get talked about so much, but I just seem to be missing the point ??

been saying this for a while in regards to the rest of their team aswell. very good performances V chelsea and spurs and dull and workmanlike otherwise when i've seen them. right now they are clinging on to the hope that they finish as high as they are now. it'll be interesting to see if they do.

I confidently predict a slide for them now- part of thier recent form was wanting to put things right after the 5-1-- that motivation is lost now- they will be thoroughly demorilised. I expect some disharmony and want aways as well. could be very interesting.