Sunderland 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 16/01/11 - post match reaction from page 41

Dave

Just how insulting to almost every other team is Jonathan Pearce when he keeps saying "...in a game of this importance"? What a t***.

Was thinking the same. Why should the decision to send Rafael off be any different to if it was in a match between Wigan and Wolves for example.

because they're important and the rest of us are mere plebs before man u the crap invincible's and spurs with their imaginary title bid

Just watching the interview with Williamson on .cock. Man, he's quiet.

My mate kept telling me he was  :hom:

That was until he walked round the pitch with his bairns last season.  :laugh:

Your av man, ffs. :lol:

its fuckin creepy like.

its fuckin creepy like.

KILL IT WITH FIRE

Just how amateurish is .cock. :lol:

The aspect ratio is screwed on every video and why the hell did they carry on with the interviews when both Williamson and Shola were being drowned out by the background noise?

Guest neesy111

positives:

smith out.

one point closer to survival.

bragging rights for another eight months or so.

Smith put in his best shift for quite a long time today tbh.

As derbies go, this wasn't too bad - not much great football but plenty of action to keep you watching.

Cannot see how anyone can blame Harper for their equalizer - the shot was struck low down(and the player should have been closed down anyway, bad marking in defence), and Harper could not punch it up or it might have gone in anyway. They were incredibly lucky that the rebound struck Gyan(he knew nowt about it)and looped in.

Coloccini was excellent - the bedrock on which all their attacks floundered.His reading of the game was first class. Enrique also gave a massive performance and nobody could say that the foreign players didn't appreciate the importance of this match to the supporters. All the defenders put in a great stint but Simpson was shaky at times. Harper was his usual steady self and I still reckon he is currently our best keeper.

The M/F did better than expected without Tiote, but that may have been because the Mackems had Clattermole missing and we won more ball. The problems are , as we know, up front - toothless without Carroll but I thought Best got more into the game as it went on. Shola missed a sitter early on and that could have been costly although he partly made up for it with his header from which Nolan scored. After the goal we could have taken them apart if we had any decent strikers as we created more chances but when it didn't happen they gained enough self belief to have a final crack at us and the goal was the result, partly of our carelessness at the back for once.

Over the 2 games, we have been the better side - no doubt about it. Having said that, if we had Gyan in our side we would probably have won this easily due to his pace up front which we lack.

A well-deserved point which will p--- them off no end although it could and should have been 3.

Now we will sweat on injuries for next week.....

Guest toonlass

For some reason a bloke behind me today kept calling Simpson "smith". I couldn't see any guide dog when I looked back at him, but it puzzled me how he could get them confused especially after Smith was substituted.

Stupid substitution from Pardue again. 1-0 in front and you take off a player who can probably keep the ball and waste more time than a substitution would waste and replace him with someone who hasn't kicked a ball for us.  Did well to get the team into a winning position but stupid decision I feel cost us the win.

Agree - should have left Gosling until next week.

its fuckin creepy like.

I can't stop staring at it.  What/Who is it??

Stupid substitution from Pardue again. 1-0 in front and you take off a player who can probably keep the ball and waste more time than a substitution would waste and replace him with someone who hasn't kicked a ball for us.  Did well to get the team into a winning position but stupid decision I feel cost us the win.

Agree - should have left Gosling until next week.

Ya Jonas would be useful to waste time in the last few minutes as he can play keep ball and frustrates the Mackem, but I think he took a hefty knock and Pardew was trying to waste time by making the sub, just unfortunate that it didn't work out. On that note, I hope people don't give Gosling a hard time for that, if he feels that he let us down and cost us the two points against them, then his confidence might suffer and that is the last thing we want when he can potentially solve our Smith & Guthrie problem.

when was the last time we lost or draw by conceeding at the last minute?

Second last game in the Championship against Ipswich, shola scored a pen on 84 to put us 2-1 up and Walters scored four minutes into injury time.

in the interests of two sides to every story i dont think we created an awful lot like. still deserved to win on overall play but i cant remember us having that many more chances to score than them.

The goal

Shola's glaring miss at the start

Shola under little pressure headed over from a corner

Colo had one cleared off the line

And towards the end there were at least three opportunities to kill the game off, Best had a great chance and dragged it wide, Enrique bursting through etc

yes. but they had at least two clear chances i can remember with bent going through and gyan made at least one mazy run into the box with the ball at his feet, plus a header over the bar from a corner not too dis-similar to shola's iirc. there wasnt much in it in terms of chances created.

Guest johnson293

Just watched the MOTD2 highlights.  :rolleyes:

Another commentator mentions the apparently 'injured' magpie on the pitch - how could they tell it was injured??

A quick mention of the Harper incident, followed by major arse kissing for Sunderland fans giving up the offending fan - yet no mention or footage of those same fans invading the pitch again, or the after match trouble.

However, on the sports bulletin on Daybreak this morning, they said 'the FA are deciding whether to investigate the crowd trouble'.