Are we safe now? YES WE ARE!

oldtype

And the more dire things look, the more I trust our players to dig in. I'm almost tempted to say a loss would be better than a draw against Wolves. Depends on which team scores the last minute equaliser, I guess...

I've noticed some people seem to think the team spirit has died out but is there any evidence of this?  Stoke was terrible, fair enough, but we didn't lose the spirit after Bolton (A) or West Brom (A), both terrible games as well.

Looking at the last eight games, we've came from 4-0 down against the 2nd placed team, drew 1-1 with Champions League quarter-finalsts Spurs, became only the fourth team to win at St. Andrews and drew with ten men against 7th place Bolton. 

We had a bad result against Stoke but it seems to be the only reference point for our recent form for some people.

Frankly, I think the Stoke defeat has sent some people into a downward spiral and they've assumed everything is in some sort of irreparable state. There's quite a difference between a disappointing end to a season that looked like being rather impressive, and going down.

Lose = you're going down, win = why were you worried? And yes, judging by a fair few posts on here, it really does seem to be that simple.

Lose = you're going down, win = why were you worried? And yes, judging by a fair few posts on here, it really does seem to be that simple.

It's the same with players too. Harper was a pretty decent keeper after he kept us in the Everton game a couple of weeks ago. A poor performance against Stoke and he's suddenly the shittest keeper ever.

The rapid nature of our recent decline has left me feeling fairly queasy. I'm looking forward to the point (which i'm still confident will come) where we can nervously laugh off the thought of another relegation. I thought that was going to be Birmingham but the form has tailed off quite stupendously since then. We've still got three of the teams below us to come to SJP. Obviously, it all rests on those matches.

Wolves is a big game.

just realised that for no team is the 'Pld' column greater than 'Pts'. everybody has averaged 1 point per match, minimum. that is mental. has there ever been a season where the bottom team finished on 30+ points?

just realised that for no team is the 'Pld' column greater than 'Pts'. everybody has averaged 1 point per match, minimum. that is mental. has there ever been a season where the bottom team finished on 30+ points?

Nottingham Forest finished bottom with 34 points in 96/97.

The home games are ridiculously key to the rest of our season.

Out of the four we've got left, three are very very winnable. Maximum 9 out of 9 points and we're safe.

Shame we've been terrible at home up til now like :(

Not convinced 42 points will necessarily be enough to stay up.

We would be incredibly unlucky to go down on 42. Has it ever happened?

Once, West Ham. I think 7 points will be enough which will take us to 43 points.

Guest Brazilianbob

No we wouldn't be unlucky!  We would go down for the same reason as last time, which was we didn't have the players capable of winning enough points to guarantee safety in the EPL!

And even if we somehow do end up fighting a survival battle, I fancy our chances more in a home game against WBA with the likes of Barton, Nolan, Best and Tiote in the form that they are in this season, than I do away at Villa with Owen and Martins.

Very humbly written and a good article - can't say I agree about four points all but guaranteeing safety.

I'm very concerned about our next two games as we are both Tiote-less and Jose-less and do not share his optimism. Wolves are playing very, very well.

Newcastle are magnificent at playing badly on their day, too and I struggle to think of another team that plays quite as poorly as us when they play poorly. I worry but hope for the best.

Guest toonarmymia

Once, West Ham. I think 7 points will be enough which will take us to 43 points.

2002/3 season, West Ham went down on 42 points (bolton 17th place on 44, mackems bottom on 19 points)

Guest ykmkmdd

West Ham went down with 42, but a -17 goal difference we're unlikely to match.

Based on the current bottom clubs being 2 points up on games played, I'm thinking 40 will be enough to stay up, especially if backed with a decent GD.