Are we safe now? YES WE ARE!

oldtype

And even if we somehow do end up fighting a survival battle, I fancy our chances more in a home game against WBA with the likes of Barton, Nolan, Best and Tiote in the form that they are in this season, than I do away at Villa with Owen and Martins.

True but chances are West Brom will need the points too. Not that I expect it to come to that, we should be alreet before that.

Our run in makes it a real dog fight, probably one the league hasnt seen in years. I mean when was the last time a club had to play almost all their relegation rivals at the final stage of the season? I dont think we will go down, but it will certainly make our season interesting again after it looked like we would just be seeing it out comfortably.

Very humbly written and a good article - can't say I agree about four points all but guaranteeing safety.

I'm very concerned about our next two games as we are both Tiote-less and Jose-less and do not share his optimism. Wolves are playing very, very well.

Newcastle are magnificent at playing badly on their day, too and I struggle to think of another team that plays quite as poorly as us when they play poorly. I worry but hope for the best.

That's the key for me. I would rather be without crucial players against the likes of Man U than relegation rivals. Stoke are shit but we got turned over 4-0 because without certain players we are shit. Wolves isn't a guaranteed win by a long shot with no strikers up front.

• 2 weeks later...

Good article here -

http://www.fansonline.net/newcastleunited/article.php?id=718

The away games we have left are difficult, Villa and Blackpool, you just do not know which team are going to turn up.

Liverpool and Chelsea away are not exactly games to welcome either.

As the article states, the games we have at home, 3 of them should be 'winnable', but home form this season has been awful.

called the last relegation miles ahead of it looking likely as i knew there was no hope

this one i think we need one win to kickstart us again and we'll then scrape through - the longer we don't win now then the worse it's gonna get obviously

perfect opportunity coming but then how many have we already blown at home? :(

We're definitely no where near as bad as we were in the relegation season. That relegation was inevitable, this one is just worryingly possible.

I still think we'll win a couple of games and wonder what we were worrying about. Even against Stoke we didn't do that badly, and we were unlucky to concede late equalisers in a couple of games before that.

this has got massive potential to go south like ian, it really has - we're literally at the worst point of the season to start or be on a winless run

Don't disagree, I just think we have much more chance of turning it around than last time. Also, every other team in the bottom half of the table is thinking the same thing.

We need to get 3 or 4 points on the board ASAP though obviously, will make everyone breath a bit easier.

Getting relegated isn't easy. Even in 2008/2009, when by all rights we should have been relegated five times over, we were one Damien Duff own goal away from limping to survival.

You need to have a collapse of catastrophic proportions to get relegated, especially from the position we're in now. With the mental strength and resilience we have in the squad, I don't see that happening.

this has got massive potential to go south like ian, it really has - we're literally at the worst point of the season to start or be on a winless run

Whilst you're right, we could lose every game left this season and still stay up. Losing doesn't = relegation unless all of the teams between us and the relegation zone suddenly putting winning streaks together. Whilst one or two might, I can't see six/seven of them doing so.

anything can happen, could go either way now - for me the balance is tipped towards staying up at the moment but it won't take much for it to tip the other way is all

Win on saturday and i think we are pretty much safe, get beat and i think we could slide.

Just looking at the fixtures for the teams at the bottom of the league.

Wigan - they have a lot of games against other teams in similar position - Villa, Blackpool, West Ham.

Birmingham - they still have to play Tottenham, Liverpool and Chelsea, all away. They also have to come to St James' Park, which is a game we must win.

Wolves - they seem to have possibly the 'easiest' run-in (if there is such a thing). They play us on Saturday, but then they dont have to play any of the top teams.

West Ham - they have still got to play Man Utd, play away at Chelsea and Man City, and games against Villa and Wigan, which will be massive games for both teams.

Blackpool - i can't see them getting many points from their remaining fixtures. We have to go to Blackpool which will be a game we can win, and we must.

Villa - their last 2 games of the season are Arsenal away and Liverpool at home. I cant see them getting anything from those games, they may get a draw against Liverpool, simply because of how in-consistent Liverpool are at times.

A lot of the teams at the lower end of the table still have to play eachother, which will obviously hinder one team's chances of avoiding relegation.

We must win against Wolves on Saturday, which would put 7 points between themselves and us. I think they have the easiest run in in comparison to the other teams at the lower end of the league, so they should pick up some more points between then and the end of the season.

anything can happen, could go either way now - for me the balance is tipped towards staying up at the moment but it won't take much for it to tip the other way is all

Win on saturday and i think we are pretty much safe, get beat and i think we could slide.

Ashley cant get all his money back if we go down.

I think there are only 3 games left where we may get any points with the squad we have left, Blackpool, Brum & WBA.

The last relegation came after the January sale of the premier leagues finest goalkeeper.

This time it looks like it could be after the sale of the finest young striker.

You just do not sell your best players if you want to stay up.

I still cant believe he has done it again.