Darren Bent Signs for Aston Villa

Guest neesy111

What are the chances of Bent suddenly "not being that great" according to Sunderland fans or stuff along those lines?

Bent carried the entire Sunderland team last year - one of the most one-man teams I've ever seen. He's done brilliantly for them - the reasons for his apparent departure remain to be seen.

Guest johnson293

Bent must really be desparate to get out of there, considering he was sat in a birmingham hotel within hours of the news breaking of his transfer request and the bid from Villa.

Poor Bugga!  ;D

A Villa fan was on before and replied to Collymore's comment on resale value (was either about Keane having none or Bent having little) that they bought him for £7m and the only way they could get rid of him was to give him to Leicester.  bluelaugh.gif

I have a lot of time for Stan and admire the way he's built his radio career, and think he's quite a natural, but he doesn't half speak some utter bollocks.

Ask any Villa fan about the irony of SVC talking about Villa taking big risks on expensive striker signings, and see what they say.

Could be a blessing for them, Bent leaving. They're very one-dimensional and overly dependent on him when he plays - could be a good deal if they reinvest the money wisely.

aye their form took a marked turn for the better when he was crocked.

Could be a blessing for them, Bent leaving. They're very one-dimensional and overly dependent on him when he plays - could be a good deal if they reinvest the money wisely.

aye their form took a marked turn for the better when he was crocked.

Yep. They're nowhere near as dependent on him this season as they were last year. They will however need to bring in a decent striker - they surely can't rely on just Gyan and Welbeck for the rest of the season, can they?

Isn't Welbeck currently injured?

Due back shortly though.

They may decide to keep their powder dry instead of replacing him and having a push for Europe this season. They're out of the cup and have small cushion in the league with 15 games to go.

Due back shortly though.

They may decide to keep their powder dry instead of replacing him and having a push for Europe this season. They're out of the cup and have small cushion in the league with 15 games to go.

With only 2 strikers? They'll have to sure as hell hope neither gets injured. I can't see them sticking with just 2 in their squad; they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

How many points would they have without Bent's goals this season? I'm betting they'd be right near the bottom (if not bottom).

As I say, he's contributed significantly of course, but not to the 'one man band' extent he did last year.

Guest neesy111

How many points would they have without Bent's goals this season? I'm betting they'd be right near the bottom (if not bottom).

They haven't been as reliant on him this season.  But they'd be well 2nd half of the table without him.

Guest johnson293

Aye.

They'll struggle then.

Mind you, 18 million is a lot of money to find a replacement.

Money doesn't always buy (many) goals though.....

See... Michael Owen £16m.... Oba Martins £9.5m.... to name 2!