Darren Bent Signs for Aston Villa

Guest neesy111

Sunderland have done reasonably well with an out of form bent. Bruce just needs to start plating gyan regularly rather than bringing hin on as sub.

I suspect he might bring in some loan from arsenal

They can't bring in any loans.

Guest Thump 1892

Pleased as I am with the signing, it is extra nice to f*** off Potato Head over it, too.

http://www.nufcblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Steve_Bruce.jpg

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2010/10/29/1288379247640/Steve-Bruce-007.jpg

http://www.blogonthetyne.co.uk/images/bruce.jpg

Ah, doesn't that vacant, exasperated expression warm the cockles of the heart?

I would be laughing my ass off if I was a Sunderland fan, 18m rising to 24m. That money could buy them at least two players better than Darren Bent.

Will more than likely finance the Stéphane Sessègnon deal and buy them a decent striker with plenty of money to spare if they want more.

They've only got £18m for cert, rest is addons etc...which could come over several years and apparently of the £18m they are only going to see £6m upfront, plus Tottenham are owed nearly £2m of the 18 as well.

I would be laughing my ass off if I was a Sunderland fan, 18m rising to 24m. That money could buy them at least two players better than Darren Bent.

Will more than likely finance the Stéphane Sessègnon deal and buy them a decent striker with plenty of money to spare if they want more.

They've only got £18m for cert, rest is addons etc...which could come over several years and apparently of the £18m they are only going to see £6m upfront, plus Tottenham are owed nearly £2m of the 18 as well.

Where do you have this from?

Scottwilsonecho Scott Wilson

For the record, the majority of the £24m for Bent will be paid up front. I'm told there's very few add ons after today's talks.

Yeah they could spend that money on two players who are both better Footballers then Bent.  But I'd be very surprised if those two players could score as many goals combined as Bent has on his own.  Just depends on weather the team possibly being more creative/fluent (if they spend on a midfielder and striker) will make up for losing 50% of their goals.

For the record, the majority of the £24m for Bent will be paid up front. I'm told there's very few add ons after today's talks.

Highly doubt that's the case like. Very few Premier League clubs could stump up £20+m upfront.

Every other source has it down as £18m paid over instalments and £6m in addons (appearances, goals, international caps).  I'd trust the majority over one source.

From the mackem who writes for the Northern Echo? Wishful thinking on his part.

Every other source has it down as £18m paid over instalments and £6m in addons (appearances, goals, international caps).  I'd trust the majority over one source.

Ok, haven't really checked anything other than twitter. Would love for the majority to be right on this one.

Bruce might be disappointed, but of all parties involved, the Mackems have got the best deal here. Potentially £24m for Bent, who's out of form? Easy money that. He's generally a good manager when it comes to the transfer market, he'll probably replace him easily.

not aimed at you in particular mate but since you mentioned it. why is it that all of a sudden its deemed a good idea to sell your players when they're out of form? are we so ridiculously impatient these days that we cant wait for a player to get back in form again? i agree that 24m is a bit over the top, but i keep reading people saying stuff like this, dont get it.

Spot on. Sunderland just lost their top scorer, record signing and probably best player. They didn't want him to leave. Yep, that's great for them that.

All depends on how they use the money.

If they manage to find a goalscoring striker who can link up well with Gyan/Welbeck and add quality in another 1/2 areas, it'll have been a good deal for the mackems  :sadnod:

Welbeck isn't their player and appears to be crocked. But regardless of that, what if the next expensive signing (and everyone is going to rip them off now btw) decides he's had enough in only 18 months? What if he doesn't score for a few weeks, should they sell him too? Only Rooney and Drogba have scored more Premier League goals than Darren Bent in the last few seasons. Will £18m get a striker of that calibre or other players to fill the void? Will they even be able to attract players of such calibre?

It's an awful set of circumstances for Sunderland.

Even at £18M there is nothing positive for them about this.

Fans will get over it, but the impact it will have on their reputation amongst professionals in the game will set them back years, with Bent unable to settle and bailing out at the first opportunity.

Something fishy about the way it's happened so quickly like. Not often you see a transfer of that size happen overnight. Sunday he's a Sunderland player, transfer request goes in, and he's gone 48 hours later. Must have been tapped up.

Without doubt.

Bruce might be disappointed, but of all parties involved, the Mackems have got the best deal here. Potentially £24m for Bent, who's out of form? Easy money that. He's generally a good manager when it comes to the transfer market, he'll probably replace him easily.

not aimed at you in particular mate but since you mentioned it. why is it that all of a sudden its deemed a good idea to sell your players when they're out of form? are we so ridiculously impatient these days that we cant wait for a player to get back in form again? i agree that 24m is a bit over the top, but i keep reading people saying stuff like this, dont get it.

Spot on. Sunderland just lost their top scorer, record signing and probably best player. They didn't want him to leave. Yep, that's great for them that.

All depends on how they use the money.

If they manage to find a goalscoring striker who can link up well with Gyan/Welbeck and add quality in another 1/2 areas, it'll have been a good deal for the mackems  :sadnod:

Welbeck isn't their player and appears to be crocked. But regardless of that, what if the next expensive signing (and everyone is going to rip them off now btw) decides he's had enough in only 18 months? What if he doesn't score for a few weeks, should they sell him too? Only Rooney and Drogba have scored more Premier League goals than Darren Bent in the last few seasons. Will £18m get a striker of that calibre or other players to fill the void? Will they even be able to attract players of such calibre?

It's an awful set of circumstances for Sunderland.

Even at £18M there is nothing positive for them about this.

Fans will get over it, but the impact it will have on their reputation amongst professionals in the game will set them back years, with Bent unable to settle and bailing out at the first opportunity.

Excellent point. Bent was an international and as such a magnet for other decent players. Well as much as anyone can be a magnet for a dump like Sunderland.

Bent basically saying he feels Villa deserve to and can achieve top 6, that their current position is a false one and that he's moving for footballing reasons only. The mackems will love that. :lol:

mentioned massive club- and a club he believed in......significant imo.