John Carver

Guest neesy111

At least the terrible results make the situation crystal clear - if Ashley appoints Carver it's proof he literally doesn't care about the football side at all. If Carver had shown any ability at all it would be more arguable that it was a football decision.

At least the terrible results make the situation crystal clear - if Ashley appoints Carver it's proof he literally doesn't care about the football side at all. If Carver had shown any ability at all it would be more arguable that it was a football decision.

I think the ship sailed a long time ago on that one, if he truly cared about the football side of things Pardew would have been pushed way before he jumped. This is just a continuation of the dour football and humiliating defeats, only Carver doesn't have that lucky streak that can keep us alive.

I think the ship sailed a long time ago on that one, if he truly cared about the football side of things Pardew would have been pushed way before he jumped. This is just a continuation of the dour football and humiliating defeats, only Carver doesn't have that lucky streak that can keep us alive.

I know, I just mean that there was a tiny sliver of hope when Pardew went that they would appoint an actual competent manager.

February 6th;

“But to have a group of players that we have here now I am delighted. We are going to have problems this weekend because I will have to leave some people out of the 18 which is the first time we’ve had to do that for a long time.

“So we are in a healthy position. We are looking forward to it.”

March 19th;

“The good thing is I haven’t got a selection problem for Arsenal because I’ve only got 13 fit senior players, plus two keepers so that won’t be too difficult,” he said.

“The squad needs to be stronger and Lee and the board have acknowledged that to me"

“That’s from the top, and the fact that I am sitting here now telling you this is a fact. That fact that I’m sitting here talking about this acknowledgement tells me that they have realised.

I’m excited by the fact that I’ve been part of the process."

For a fraud, he's very occupied with fact. That first sentence is mint btw.

“That’s from the top, and the fact that I am sitting here now telling you this is a fact. That fact that I’m sitting here talking about this acknowledgement tells me that they have realised.

He speaks his sentences the same way Lee Ryder writes his it almost sounds like.

The only thing Ashley regrets is that its all gone pear-shaped and shown him up for the conniving penny-pincher and asset-stripper that he really is - he is terrified that one day the Sky cameras will show a half-empty SJP and his credibility will be illustrated for what it really is....all smoke and mirrors.

Carver is just another Ashley puppet and stooge.

If anyone wants AIDS, have a read of this. Thought she'd been quiet for a while.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/mar/20/john-carver-newcastle-united-problems

Click-clack, click-clack, click-clack. It is the sound of crutches on linoleum and something John Carver has become horribly accustomed to in recent weeks.

“I keep hearing crutches coming down the corridor outside my door,” says Newcastle United’s head coach, who could be forgiven for believing his office is doubling as an orthopaedic surgeon’s consulting room.

With Cheik Tioté, Steven Taylor and Papiss Cissé (who brought forward knee surgery scheduled for the summer after receiving a seven-match ban for spitting) among the eight senior players sidelined by injury, Carver’s side are not in the best of health to entertain Arsenal on Saturday. He has 13 fit outfield players available and a recent acknowledgement from the St James’ Park hierarchy that the squad is far too thin will prove little consolation.

Fabricio Coloccini’s suspension means Carver has only two fit established defenders, Daryl Janmaat and Mike Williamson, at his disposal. Janmaat, a Holland right-back and Newcastle’s best crosser, must play out of position at centre-half.

Up front it is arguably even worse. In Cissé’s absence there is only the potentially brilliant but young, inexperienced and increasingly tired-looking Ayoze Pérez, the inadequate Emmanuel Rivière, the unproven youngster Adam Armstrong and the unutterably hopeless Facundo Ferreyra.

Anyone who has seen Carver work, either coaching on the training pitches or in the “strategy room” at Newcastle’s training ground, where his video analysis of matches, tactics and players is impressive, knows he is being sold horribly short.

Viewed in context, his record of two wins, three draws and five defeats in 10 Premier League games since succeeding Alan Pardew is a bit more respectable than it appears on paper.

He might not be a fashionable name but there was a reason why Ruud Gullit, then Newcastle’s manager, plucked the young Carver from academy obscurity almost 20 years ago. The man can coach, can communicate with players – and who is to say that, given a strong hand, he could not do just as well as Rémi Garde, Christophe Galtier, Thomas Tuchel or anyone else with more than half an eye on taking the St James’ Park job in the summer.

The shame is his chances of trying to prove himself are being undermined by the very same forces which led Pardew to make – on the face of it – the extraordinary move of exchanging Newcastle for Crystal Palace at new year.

Pardew had wanted at least one striker and a centre-half in the transfer window. He knew that without them Newcastle would struggle but the board were reluctant to spend. Selhurst Park suddenly seemed like nirvana.

Mike Ashley, Newcastle’s owner, and Lee Charnley, the managing director, do not like waste. That is why there are strict restrictions on electricity use throughout the club. It also explains why, with the team in mid-table, they took the risk of loaning Davide Santon to Internazionale in January. How Carver could do with the left-back, who will not be returning after Roberto Mancini persuaded his board to make the move permanent last week.

It would help if Carver’s strikers were sufficiently rampant to camouflage defensive deficiencies. Unfortunately a record of three goals in the past five games indicates this is not the case, while also suggesting that Graham Carr’s invariably golden transfer-market touch apparently deserted him last summer. For once Newcastle’s chief scout has failed to come up trumps.

With the £1.5m move to bring Pérez from Tenerife – and what smart business that was – driven by Pardew, Rivière arrived from Monaco for £6m while Ferreyra, seemingly a friend of Coloccini’s, turned up on loan from Shakhtar Donetsk. He has been injured but is said to be barely good enough for the reserves, let alone the first team. Some say Ferreyra is the club’s worst recruit since Fumaça – nicknamed “Formica”, aka “the only Brazilian who couldn’t play” – during the Sir Bobby Robson era.

Armstrong is highly promising with some wonderful movement but, like Pérez, he is not really an out-and-out striker.

Pérez has scored five goals this season but Rivière, whose game has enough about it to suggest he might be a hit in the Championship, has still to score in the Premier League this season after 15 appearances. Had Cissé not registered 11 in 19 appearances Newcastle would not be in the relative comfort of 11th place with 35 points, 10 clear of the bottom three and within touching distance of safety.

Siem de Jong, a £6m summer buy from Ajax, was supposed to score plenty of goals from his No10 role but he has been out for virtually the entire campaign, most recently with a collapsed lung, a problem that had sidelined him in the Netherlands.

Now Carver – toying with the idea of shifting Gabriel Obertan from the right wing to attack (although it is to be hoped his shooting is not as wayward as much of his crossing) – must avoid subjecting Pérez to mental collapse.

“There was an awful lot of pressure on this young lad coming from Tenerife and being thrown into our cauldron,” he says. “When we signed Ayoze, we thought he’d have a full season in the under-21s developing but he was thrown in at the deep end. He’s dealt with it well but I’ve started to see him looking more jaded, finding the physical elements a bit tough. It’s part of my job to deal with him, and one of the other young players – Adam Armstrong – to make sure they don’t disappear into the wilderness.”

Whatever the result against Arsenal, Carver is not the cause of Newcastle’s travails.

:icon_puke_r:

Guest Roger Kint

Think he has passed on his dubious facts to the Chronicle staff :lol:

Mark Douglas ‏@MsiDouglas 6m6 minutes ago

@dcb72 They won't sign 12+. It'll be 4 or 5, maybe with a spend of £40m or so.

0 retweets 0 favorites

Guest Roger Kint

I would bite their hand off for £40m on 4-5 players now TBH, it's beyond my wildest dreams.

With a new manager obviosuly.

Until you factor in Krul, Sissoko, Janmaat & Perez leaving to fund it.

I know when people say this it sounds like hyperbole, but that is genuinely one of the worst articles I've ever seen. Armstrong not an out-and-out striker? Carver's training schedule impressive?

He was happy with the squad, he even said so. Like others have asked, how can this hypocrisy not be illuminated? It's mental.

Not sure if this has been posted-

John Carver believes even Arsene Wenger would struggle with so many injuries

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-carver-believes-even-arsene-8878735

John Carver believes his public backing from Arsene Wenger came because the Frenchman has full appreciation for the predicament Newcastle United find themselves in right now.

Wenger stated Carver had what it takes to be manager in the build-up to the game at St James’ Park.

Newcastle have just 13 outfield players to pick from against the Gunners.

On hearing Wenger’s remarks, Carver said: “That’s nice because people in the game understand what is going on.

“He understands that if he was here in these circumstances, he would have a problem dealing with it.

“We’ve seen sides in the past when they pick up four or five injuries, it effects them – especially when it’s best players.

“We’ve got eight or nine, and six or seven would be in the team.”

Rolando Aarons has been sighted on the training field again, but is not ready for the game with Arsenal, while Massadio Haidara and Mehdi Abeid are also out.

With the likes of Steven Taylor, Cheick Tiote, Paul Dummett and Siem De Jong all long-term injuries, Carver is struggling to pick a team.

Fabricio Coloccini is suspended for three games and Papiss Cisse still has six games to go.

He said: “We are no further forward with Massadio Haidara, so he won’t be involved this weekend.

“Rolando Aarons is getting closer and Mehdi is a week or two away which will help.

“But you are still looking at six or seven long term.

“You are looking at the summer.”

I thought he was happy with the squad? And of course Wenger's gonna say that Carver has what it take to be a manager, it's a piss easy 6 points per season! Or for the one season that we'll be in the PL under him.

Can't believe this guy will be in charge next season. It's absolute torture.

The problem you have is that, if you finish mid-table, for Ashley that's basically a result.

Not going down, still be here for another year of mega tv money, still probably be here the year after next for the even bigger mega-money.

If Carver gets you there, then Ashley has the perfect situation - a cheap, low ego, low profile (compared to some of the others) manager who isn't going to stand up to him or throw his toys out the pram if he doesn't get the money he wants to spend, and who is basically just over the moon to be Newcastle manager.

And that is the problem with the premier league for the likes of us, you, Everton. Maybe Sunderland at a push.

Finishing half way is acceptable, it'll rake in the cash, the difference between finishing there and, say, sixth or fifth is a run in the Europa League (which earns almost zero money).

To go from 10th or 11th to 6th or 5th is going to cost money - better, spendier manager, better, more expensive coaching team, better players. More half decent players so you've got a decent bench.

Maybe you'd also get a decent cup run, it'd be nice, but hey ho, you're probably not going to win it, so getting to a semi final, as we have, is seen as an extraordinary achievement. The fans will get a nice day out at Wembley, it'll keep them off your back for a bit.

That is the mindset that is slowly strangling clubs with a history of being in amongst the top clubs, winning bits of silverware, being in the Premier League almost all the time. It is what makes supporting clubs like ours actually one of the worst positions to be in. Even the plucky recently promoted sides get more out of it, they're just dazzled by being in the money league. It's all a big adventure for them.

Just like it is for the Champions League sides with their top flight experience utterly, totally different to ours. It's going to be a long time till we get to play Barcelona again. No mid week trips to Monaco for us.

It is just to involving for the likes of Lerner or Ashley - time and money - to really try to be anything better in the long run, so fuck it, just bob along in nothing-land and try to keep the supporters (who they probably call "customers" these days) happy enough not to give you too much grief.

I'll tell you what got Sherwood our job, for example. It's the fact he's worked with youth coaching, and when you say that to Lerner or Fox (our CEO), their eyes light up. Youth players = cheap players.

We tried that for two whole seasons under Lambert, naively throwing kids in when they're not ready, basically in the hope that they'll muddle through and in time sort of magically become good enough.

It doesn't work. it makes it horrible to watch. I bet what you like that's exactly what they try again, though.

Guest Roger Kint

Why does no one pull them up on lack of investment, letting players go knowing full well a couple of injuries will wreck the 2nd half of the season.

:rolleyes:

Cameron says the Chronic have done so plenty of times before and will have more in tomorrows paper...........