West Ham to get Olympic Stadium

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Spurs ST prices are quite expensive due to the fact they have a big waiting list.

A big waiting list yes, but a waiting list the same size as their average attendance?, I'll believe it when I see it.

Spurs are very well supported in London, probably have a bigger size support than Arsenal actually.

From my experience Arsenal have loads of supporters from the home counties though. Being the sad cunt I am I always find it fairly interesting who supports who in and around London, a lot of it seems so random aside from the cores around each stadium.

Guest Slippery Sam

Does anyone know if there are planing issues preventing Upton Park's expansion? Is it just profit incentive driving the move?

It is pretty tight given the surrounding buildings but I believe they have previously been given planning permission to expand to 40,000.

They are only averaging just under 28,000 in a 35,000 capacity stadium as it is.

West Ham have been rebuilding Boleyn Ground for a number of years. Their plan was to move the pitch to towards their new main stand (if you see the ground on the telly, you can see the playing surface is 20m (?) or so from the main stand), knock down the opposite stand and build a bigger one in its place.  Why these plans have changed is probably due to the emergence of the Olympic stadium becoming availble and new owners of the club.

• 2 weeks later...

The government and London Mayor have approved West Ham's bid.

Inevitable that Barry Hearn will now put the wheels in motion for a judicial review. 

West Ham have already said that they will try to attract additional support by offering family tickets for 2 adults and 2 children for just £40.  I would say it's impossible for West Ham to prove that their discounted ticket prices won't adversely affect Leyton Orient.  I reckon that at the end of the day West Ham will move in to the OS  and Orient will fold within 5 years.

Leyton Orient have some s*** support if they poof off to West Ham just because they save some quid.

It's not that, though, it's the kids, families and floating fans. If you live in the area, aren't that into football yourself but want to take the kids to a game, Orient used to be the cheaper, friendlier and safer option. Now, if you can take them to a Championship (cough) game in a massive stadium with great facilities (provided by the taxpayer) for less, of course you're going to. So the future of Orient disappears. The hardcore will obviously continue to go, but they age, dwindle and die.

Guest taps01

Spurs ST prices are quite expensive due to the fact they have a big waiting list.

A big waiting list yes, but a waiting list the same size as their average attendance?, I'll believe it when I see it.

Spurs are very well supported in London, probably have a bigger size support than Arsenal actually.

From my experience Arsenal have loads of supporters from the home counties though. Being the sad c*** I am I always find it fairly interesting who supports who in and around London, a lot of it seems so random aside from the cores around each stadium.

I live in Herts about an hour away from both the emirates and WHL and there seems to be far more spurs supporters. 

• 1 month later...

Don't know if it's mentioned in another thread.....................

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=reu-englandstadiumorient

Leyton Orient have followed Tottenham Hotspur by applying to the High Court for a judicial review over West Ham United’s planned move to the 2012 Olympic Stadium after the Games, chairman Barry Hearn said on Thursday.

Orient, who play in League One (third division) claim that West Ham’s move into the stadium will put their own existence in doubt and, like Spurs, say Newham Council were not entitled to provide a loan of up to 40 million pounds ($65.05 million) to the stadium company that will be set up to run the venue and from whom West Ham will rent the ground.

They also claim the Premier League has broken its own rules in sanctioning a move by one club close to the established home of another club in the area.

“We are taking action against Newham Council because the loan is unlawful,” Hearn told Sky Sports News.

“We will follow this with judicial applications against the Government, the Minister of Sport, the Mayor of London and will take action against the Premier League for being in breach of their own rules as well.

“It is an all-encompassing charge by Leyton Orient, a battle by the little man against the big forces of evil if you like.

“This represents a challenge to our entire future and our survival and we have no choice but to fight our corner.”

The Olympic Park Legacy Company (OPLC) in February approved West Ham’s bid for the 80,000-seater stadium which took three years to build, cost close to 500 million pounds and was completed ahead of schedule in March.

Tottenham, who also wanted to move to the stadium, are contesting the use of public funds to help remodel the stadium after the Games.

I never thought Spurs would benefit from a judicial review but Orient have a strong case imo.

What I don't understand is what the fuck Orient would do with the stadium??

I don't think Leyton want it, do they? They just don't want anyone else landing on their doorstep and taking their casual fans. Not sure how real that problem is, but still.

Guest Roger Kint

What I don't understand is what the f*** Orient would do with the stadium??

They dont want it, their reasons are in the above post.

Guest Roger Kint

I don't think they want the ground, they just don't want a much bigger club moving in a stone's throw away from their place, which seems fair enough to me.

Exactly, considering WHU have openly spoke of giving free and subsidised tickets for locals to help fill it then it could seriously damage Orients current and (more importantly) future fanbase.

Desperation from both clubs there, it's not like West Ham were exactly a million miles away from Orient in the first place, in fact both Spurs and West Ham going after the stadium in the first place was desperation for both clubs.

I don't see why Orient do exactly what West Ham are doing, better still give everyone free entrance and get all the money back via food sales etc inside the stadium.

Desperation from both clubs there, it's not like West Ham were exactly a million miles away from Orient in the first place, in fact both Spurs and West Ham going after the stadium in the first place was desperation for both clubs.

I don't see why Orient do exactly what West Ham are doing, better still give everyone free entrance and get all the money back via food sales etc inside the stadium.

How many pies do you think they'd have to sell to run a football club?

How many pies do you think they'd have to sell to run a football club?

One free ticket given to Nolan, done.

What I don't understand is what the f*** Orient would do with the stadium??

I don't think Leyton want it, do they? They just don't want anyone else landing on their doorstep and taking their casual fans. Not sure how real that problem is, but still.

Orient's objection is West Ham's intention to discount the price of family tickets and give free tickets to schools, both of which would directly affect Orient's attendances.  Hearn isn't enthused over the Spurs option either but he concedes that Spurs wouldn't be selling tickets on the cheap and also have a larger fanbase  to start off with.