West Ham to get Olympic Stadium

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

whoever gets it will find its a dog - it wasn't designed as a football stadium

after a few years they'll try and remove the running track and then spend years fighting the athletics mafia bleating on about "our legacy"

after a few years they'll try and remove the running track and then spend years fighting the athletics mafia bleating on about "our legacy"

It'll go the same way as the delle alpi. Nice to look at but shite in every other area, despised by everyone who uses it and nobody will go there.

That's been our point all along. I don't mind West Ham getting the thing and itbecoming awhite elephant, as long as they don't get a nudge and a wink to trash the track a couple of years down the line

• 1 month later...

Spurs/Leyton Orient win the right to appeal

Granted a judicial review to be exact, to be held mid October. 

Don't want Spurs to get the OS, West Ham can't afford it or fill it which is bang in Orient's patch.  The sensible decision would be for the OS to revert to the original plan, a 25000 seater and give it to Orient if they want it. 

• 1 month later...

West Ham's deal to move into Olympic Stadium has collapsed.

Not exactly - that's the headline but it looks like they'll be able to rent it for 2M a year. At least they won't own it, or be able to rip up the track. I hope.

... didn't Spurs want to do that too?

Spurs wanted to rebuild without an athletics track and develop Crystal Palace for athletics.  West Ham said they would keep the athletics track but it was common knowledge that the athletics track would be gone within 5 years.

The tender process never stipulated that the athletics track should remain at the Olympic Stadium, just that there should be a legacy for athletics, which Spurs were proposing with Crystal Palace.

Rip up the track? Of course, that's what we've said all along - that that is the only solution that avoids it becoming a white elephant. Thing is, we were up front about it, whereas I'd wager West Ham were hoping to get their foot in the door then rip it up a couple of years down the line. The new deal seems to make it less likely that they'lll do that. Doesn't help Orient out much though.

this is a fiasco and it is all down to Spurs and their greed and the fact that they think they can do whatever they want.

Well I tell you that this is Great Britain and you don't mess with Great Britain so Spurs can fuck off back to their poxy shithole stadium and watch how nice sensible Arsenal continue to increase their bank balance.

Rip up the track? Of course, that's what we've said all along - that that is the only solution that avoids it becoming a white elephant. Thing is, we were up front about it, whereas I'd wager West Ham were hoping to get their foot in the door then rip it up a couple of years down the line. The new deal seems to make it less likely that they'lll do that. Doesn't help Orient out much though.

I don't think West Ham will take it on knowing they have to keep the athletics track, I think they will stay put.

It was pretty well summed up on Nick Ferrari's show on LBC this morning.  Someone from the Athletics board said it was great news as the retention of the athletics track will enable them to host events there like the National Schools Championships. 

Nick said 'with all due respect this is a 80,000 stadium, you'll be lucky to get a couple of thousand for that'  :lol: