Football in the summer?

Taylor Swift
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sir Alex Ferguson is in favour of football changing seasons to become a summer game - but remains unconvinced it will ever happen.

UEFA president Michele Platini has in the past argued in favour of playing games in the summer although FIFA and UEFA say there are no concrete plans to change the calendar.

Ferguson, a long-time advocate of the winter break, sees some merits to playing in the summer.

However, whilst he does not feel competition from other areas of the leisure industry would be an issue, he does feel TV and other companies with a vested interest might be a far bigger stumbling block.

"For as long as I have been a coach I have been banging the drum about a winter break," said Ferguson.

"There is no doubt we don't utilise the best months of the year in terms of the fans, players and the states of pitches.

"People say there is too much opposition in the summer; cricket and rugby for instance, but nothing beats football. It is always going to be the best supported sport in the world.

"Playing it in the summer probably would be an advantage.

"But the tradition of the game being played in the winter has a strong argument too.

"TV and the pools companies have always had a big say about when the game is going to be run.

"That is why you don't get a winter break, because of TV."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/alex-ferguson-favours-switch-to-summer-season-2190887.html

I agree with Fergie. Football in the summer would be brilliant. The pitches are much better than the cold, hard and uneven ones that you get in the harshest winter months, which is not conducive to football. Imagine football being played on smooth, almost carpet-like pitches in the sunny months of June and July. I think that'd be pretty nice.

but i like things the way they are, english league football in winter etc irish league football in the summer.

won't get through anyway, spain and italy would never allow it through with their hot summers and the germans are against it too

Guest Roger Kint

No it will end up with almost no sport at all between Nov-Feb aside from a few football friendlies and fucking darts :frantic:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

From a coaches point of view - yes, please. Its been 7 weeks since my youngest side of had a game of football due to the snow and now frozen pitches.

but i like things the way they are, english league football in winter etc irish league football in the summer.

won't get through anyway, spain and italy would never allow it through with their hot summers and the germans are against it too

fuck them fuck the lot of them fuck Blatter fuck Platini

Guest dazzanufc1892

No it will end up with almost no sport at all between Nov-Feb aside from a few football friendlies and f***ing darts :frantic:

NFL, all you need really