Newcastle United 1 - 1 Tottenham - 22/01/11 - post match reaction from p22

Dave

Haway people, to expect a young striker to pass when he's in that position is total nonsense. If he doesn't have the instinct to shoot in those situations, he shouldn't be playing up front.

If he was 30 with 200 goals in his account he might have had the maturity to look up. But at this stage in his career it's a non-problem.

Actually Kazeiro, I was shouting at the time that Loven should have gambled at the back post. Don't think anyone was really to blame for us not scoring there, it was just one of those unlucky situations where it ends in a near miss.

If he'd not have stopped running he'd have been at the back post, I concur.

If there's a game that Kevin Nolan clearly won't be any use in, it was this one.

Agreed, he really wasn't in it at all. Did his neat and tidy stuff, but to a minimum, and that was about his only contribution.

Yeah, if he gets put under any pressure in open play, he tends to lose it.

He does complicate the decision by scoring all these goals though. Sod him.

He misses having Tiote behind him more than anyone really. He needs to play a different sort of game when Cheick's out and it doesn't exactly utilise his best abilities.

Guest firetotheworks

Simpson wasn't very good today I thought, there's a reason Lennon swapped to the left in the second half.

Jose Enrique.

I wouldn't say any one individual player was to blame for what happened, but we need to simply keep playing when we're ahead and not just try and defend what we've got for most of the second half. We've been doing that for as long as I can remember and annoys the s*** out of me! :angry:

Strange comment considering we were still bursting forward to score a second even though it was ET and we were in the lead.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/187/explanationa.jpg

Perch is not in a good position either? Stood unmarked on the 6 yard box with a free pass ffs :lol:

He's coming in really fast, he'd not have composure to slot it in. You can't see that in the pic, though. :lol:

There's no goalie, how much composure do you need? :lol:

Haway people, to expect a young striker to pass when he's in that position is total nonsense. If he doesn't have the instinct to shoot in those situations, he shouldn't be playing up front.

If he was 30 with 200 goals in his account he might have had the maturity to look up. But at this stage in his career it's a non-problem.

There's not a chance on earth Shearer wouldn't shoot in that position. ;)

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/187/explanationa.jpg

Perch is not in a good position either? Stood unmarked on the 6 yard box with a free pass ffs :lol:

He's coming in really fast, he'd not have composure to slot it in. You can't see that in the pic, though. :lol:

There's no goalie, how much composure do you need? :lol:

Someone else than James Perch. :pow:

I understand what you mean, but that's none sense tbh. If he had passed to Lovenkrands, you wouldn't be sat there saying that he doesn't have the striker's instinct to shoot. Strikers are there to put the ball in the back of the net. Whether by scoring themselves or providing chances is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

I understand what you mean, but that's none sense tbh. If he had passed to Lovenkrands, you wouldn't be sat there saying that he doesn't have the striker's instinct to shoot. Strikers are there to put the ball in the back of the net. Whether by scoring themselves or providing chances is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Absolutely, I don't give a toss about strikers instinct, there's a time to shoot and a time to pass and when you have a player to pass who will then be shooting at an open net then you should be passing.

Well I agree with that sort of, but if you don't have the hunger to get goals and the instinct to shoot then you won't make a very good striker. At least not unless you'r a non-scoring one like Kevin Davies.

Obviously I wouldn't have been criticising him if he squared it and we'd scored. That doesn't mean that I do have to criticise him because he didn't! Bit of a logical stretch that one.

Guest firetotheworks

I've decided to say fuck it, due to the players we had out. It's a good result. I wish the last 2 matches had had no stoppage time though.

Harper - 8 - Did really well in general. The back four looked confident with him. Good saves. Really poor distribution though.

Simpson - 6.5 - Coped well for most of the game, so misplaced passes and at fault for the goal.

Colo - 9 - Ridiculously good again.

Williamson - 8 - #Solid as a rock!

Enrique - 8 - Beat Lennon so many times, he had to switch sides. Good cross in the first half too.

Barton - 6.5 - Fully appreciate just how good his season has been, but he just gave the ball away so many times. Important contribution but by his own high standards, poor.

Nolan - 4.5 - So anonymous. Did well as a body, but no more.

Guthrie - 5.5 - Only slightly better than Nolan.

Gutierrez - 8.5 - Sensational. Just excellent.

Best - 6.5 - Got involved, good link up play with Ameobi. Still not too alert.

Ameobi - 6.5 - The enigma of the century. Mixes the sublime with the egregious. Did really well first half before his Jekyll & Hyde second.

Loven - 5 - Why are you still getting games?

Ranger - 8 - Dangerous in the paltry time he was given.

Absolutely, I don't give a toss about strikers instinct, there's a time to shoot and a time to pass and when you have a player to pass who will then be shooting at an open net then you should be passing.

Look at my picture, it'd not have happened. :huff:

Simpson wasn't very good today I thought, there's a reason Lennon swapped to the left in the second half.

exactly. forgot how to play rb today