Newcastle United 1 - 1 Tottenham - 22/01/11 - post match reaction from p22

Dave

crap examples on MotD as its bloody clear to see that simpson does try to show lennon to the line.

Not really. Left a massive gap to Lennon's right.

leaves a bigger gap to his left and it's almost identical to the next example a minute or so on how he should do it right.

He needs to be a yard+ closer to Lennon's right and his body position's all to fuck. Fact is, he finds himself in a position where it's easy for Lennon to get the ball on his right and he's left for dead. Williamson spots it but gets there too late to do anything about it.

crap examples on MotD as its bloody clear to see that simpson does try to show lennon to the line.

Simpson's a full back, his priority is to make sure the winger doesn't go outside and get to the byline. What the fuck was Williamson doing by charging in to cover the same area?

What: against a right-footed player in the box?

I've u-turned on Danny Simpson since last season but that was simple stuff today to show him down the line, no wonder Harper was doing his nut, can't understand why we had so few players back either considering it was just after Barton overhit the pass to Ranger and they were the only two involved, God knows why MOTD didn't show that either.

Annoying that Lennon was able to switch wings and do damage when Enrique had him in his pocket up until then.

thing is when lennon plays down the left he can come inside or outside, it's easier to say "show him to the line" than to do it and best was getting slated off shola,barton,simpson and nolan for not giving any support down that side......and when he went off it didn't really change. simpson left isolated many times against a very good player.i can't blame simpson for their goal.

I thought Williamson was more at fault tbh. Simpson as a full back has to cover the outside. It was Williamson's job to cover the inside but he ended up in the same position as Simpson. Their lack of understanding just made me appreciate the Coloccini/Enrique even more.

Enrique playing alongside Colo did exactly the same thing against Adam Johnson earlier in the season, as someone else pointed out.

Colo wasn't on the pitch.

Well done. Point still applies to Enrique, you telling me he forgot what to do when Colo went off?

No, just saying he wasn't alongside Coloccini.

leaves a bigger gap to his left and it's almost identical to the next example a minute or so on how he should do it right.

He needs to be a yard+ closer to Lennon's right and his body position's all to f***. Fact is, he finds himself in a position where it's easy for Lennon to get the ball on his right and he's left for dead. Williamson spots it but gets there too late to do anything about it.

hang on, he's got to get closer ? he'd just been covering in the middle as williamson appeared to have gone awol then as the ball broke to his side had to get there, he got as close as he could and showed lennon the outside, got caught off balance when lennon cut back across and williamson (whom i'm really starting to have my doubts about) chased the ball not the pattern of play.

Guest neesy111

Should have won, spurs slighty edged the 1st half while we defo had the best chances 2nd half.  Spurs fans are moaning cunts (which most on here already know), in the pub i was they werre moaning on from the 10th minute.  Would have loved to beat the twats.

Otherwise a good performance considering, Jose, Colo,  Barton, Guthrie and Shola all top performers for me.

I think Simpson switched off after a tough 90 minutes and completely forgot that he was up against a right footer.

Personally I think he just got skinned. Lennon is fast as fuck - particularly when changing direction - and underrated by many. Okay it was likely he'd cut inside onto his right but there's only so much a defender can do to coax someone to a particular side.

He needs to be a yard+ closer to Lennon's right and his body position's all to f***. Fact is, he finds himself in a position where it's easy for Lennon to get the ball on his right and he's left for dead. Williamson spots it but gets there too late to do anything about it.

hang on, he's got to get closer ? he'd just been covering in the middle as williamson appeared to have gone awol then as the ball broke to his side had to get there, he got as close as he could and showed lennon the outside, got caught off balance when lennon cut back across and williamson (whom i'm really starting to have my doubts about) chased the ball not the pattern of play.

Don't fancy drawing a diagram. :lol: Looked to me like he'd backed off a little too much towards the near post (as if he were up against a lefty) and gave himself no chance of recovering once Lennon cut in. Simpson's one-footed and has nee chance tackling on his weaker side, so he has to be really careful about that.

Anyway, I don't want to harp on, but he could've done better, clearly.

Don't fancy drawing a diagram. :lol: Looked to me like he'd backed off a little too much towards the near post (as if he were up against a lefty) and gave himself no chance of recovering once Lennon cut in. Simpson's one-footed and has nee chance tackling on his weaker side, so he has to be really careful about that.

everytime i've typed about it i've watched it again and i don't see much he could've done.

everytime i've typed about it i've watched it again and i don't see much he could've done.

Look, I don't want no trouble. I know you've had a few.

Guest neesy111

Fact was on the goal where was the midfield, it was 4 on 3 in the 91st minute no excuses.  We need a a bigger squad as Nolan (who did well for 1st 75 mins) was at of breath for the last 15 mins and looked exhausted which almost cost us dear at the end.

Simpson could have closed down better, but our defence clearly has been told to do that all the time it wasn't just for that 1 moment in which simpson did not close down.

Guest neesy111

I think Simpson switched off after a tough 90 minutes and completely forgot that he was up against a right footer.

Nit picking here.  Did you blame 3 or 4 of our players for switching off last sunday when we were defending a 1 goal lead?

A good result considering the absentees but it should have been 3 points on chances created.

They were the better side in 1st half, Newcastle in the second although I could see their goal coming as our m/f were knackered by then and losing their shape. Even then, Ranger should have won the match for us after doing well to beat Dawson and attempting a very tight angled shot when Lovenkrands was unmarked at the far post ; a simple tap-in if Ranger had squared it....

Their m/f quality enabled them to keep possession well when building up attacks(we missed Tiote badly in that area)but our defence was up to the job for 90 minutes. Noticeable that the goal came from Lennon who had lost his battle with Enrique and switched to the other flank, probably on managerial instruction...

With regard to apportioning blame for the equalizer, I would edge towards pointing the finger at Williamson ; Simpson was always going to find it tough against Lennon but he did a reasonable job until the player beat him on the inside...it was then that Williamson should have made a better job of helping him out but he fluffed it and Lennon scored.

A pity - another 2 points would have been edging the club to safety but as it is, we shall still have a few nail-biters to contend with ; reinforcements for the squad are badly needed or players like Barton will start to flag. Overall, I would have accepted a point before the game but we could have snatched it on chances.

Ranger can go and f*** himself.

???

For what exactly?

for being a glory hunting c*** looking for his first goal, when Lovenkrands is stood alone in the 6yd box. A tap across and its 2-0. You could see half our team point straight towards Lovenkrands before he tried to score from behind the goal line.

The one where he took it around Dawson? Come off it man, he's entitled to go for goal when he's made himself an opening like that.

Disagree Dave - would Beardo have done that?(er-wait, yes he might have done, but he would have scored..!!)? No, in all probability, he would have seen the man on the far post ; that's what makes great players - they have the vision to know whether to shoot or pass. Hopefully, Ranger will develop that because his first duty - as is all the players' - is to win the game for the club, NOT personal glory-seeking.