Newcastle United 1 - 1 Tottenham - 22/01/11 - post match reaction from p22

Dave

Guest sicko2ndbest

Jose should take some responsibility from that frame

If its 3 v 3 and the ball is on the attacking left hand side, it is the left backs responsibility to make the extra man by tucking around

thoughts?

If its 3 v 3 and the ball is on the attacking left hand side, it is the left backs responsibility to make the extra man by tucking around

thoughts?

To be fair to the players, most of them were running on empty at the end, they had little or nothing left.

For those that weren't there, and because we love pictures so much, this is what we deemed the best way to defend a 1-0 lead:

http://i52.tinypic.com/124j5zo.jpg

We were caught like that following a poor ball from Barton and a set up suggesting we werevchasing the game. Ranger had just missed a great chance (should have passed) and we were caught far too far up field.  Very poor play, Bartons reaction to the goal showed what he thought.

One criticism I do have is of Simpson, and the fact that he got caught ball watching. He followed the ball and went to challenge Defoe (even though Colo came from the other side to exactly that) and it left Lennon with miles of space. Lack of concentration brought about from being shattered no doubt, doesn't excuse it as poor defending though.

We were out on our feet for the last 10 minutes and their goal had been coming for ages. Like a weary boxer on the ropes. Spurs deserved their point but we should have slammed the door in their faces but decided to go for the second.

Should have seen it out. 

Guest sicko2ndbest

thoughts?

To be fair to the players, most of them were running on empty at the end, they had little or nothing left.

With that in mind what they need to do is charge up the field and push on for a 2nd

Guest toonlass

One criticism I do have is of Simpson, and the fact that he got caught ball watching. He followed the ball and went to challenge Defoe (even though Colo came from the other side to exactly that) and it left Lennon with miles of space. Lack of concentration brought about from being shattered no doubt, doesn't excuse it as poor defending though.

I get annoyed at how much he backs off opposition players. Not saying he is shite or owt, but it does annoy me.

Pardew makes the point in the BBC interview that the two occasions were opposite. Against Sunderland we were sucked in, playing deep and inviting trouble. This time we were pushing on to get a second, perhaps too much. There's a balance to be found, but perhaps today was a subconcious effort from the players to not let the same happen again. Which it did. :lol:

For the last 15 minutes or so Spurs attacked our right and we were caught two on one at right back. He bottom line is that goal we conceded was poor from front to back and Pardew should have taken action to protect our right hand side.

Btw Spurs got of jail big time and we should gave been comfortable before they put the pressure on us. Somehow the streams they have been watching showed us as a team of thugs who were outplayed for large parts Of the game.......

Guest sicko2ndbest

I get annoyed at how much he backs off opposition players. Not saying he is s**** or owt, but it does annoy me.

He backs off because he lacks recovery pace.

Jose can go close to anyone, Lennon included and have enough to spare to get back

Lennon was only on the game when he switched to the left which highlights a couple of things:

Jose is immense

Simpson dosnt know how to defend against right footed left wingers

Heard some Spurs fan on 606 who said we constantly had 10 men behind the ball!

and what was his point exactly?

(this isn't a dig at you, more so the people who criticize teams getting as many men behind the ball as possible when defending)

With that in mind what they need to do is charge up the field and push on for a 2nd

Pushing for the second wasn't the worst idea, if we had of scored a second it would have been game over, sometimes it works.  We would have all been pissed off if we'd sat back and ended up drawing.

Guest toonlass

Heard some Spurs fan on 606 who said we constantly had 10 men behind the ball!

and what was his point exactly?

(this isn't a dig at you, more so the people who criticize teams getting as many men behind the ball as possible when defending)

His point was that they were always the upper team, and that we supposedly parked the bus. Maybe I was watching a different game but I didn't see that at all.

His point was that they were always the upper team, and that we supposedly parked the bus. Maybe I was watching a different game but I didn't see that at all.

I think we had more of the better chances and deserved more from the game.

Guest toonlass

I think we had more of the better chances and deserved more from the game.

:thup:

The whole United squad and staff - minus those who are required for midweek reserve and FA Youth Cup fixtures - will now fly out to Portugal for a training camp.

Good news IMO. A nice break for the players will hopefully see a few injuries clear up and continue the great (Danny) camaraderie within the squad.

The whole United squad and staff - minus those who are required for midweek reserve and FA Youth Cup fixtures - will now fly out to Portugal for a training camp.

Good news IMO. A nice break for the players will hopefully see a few injuries clear up and continue the great (Danny) camaraderie within the squad.

Sunny optimism that, Dave! More likely we'll be seeing them on the front pages :laugh: ;)

Simpson does all the defending basics of a full back poorly, he allows wingers to turn and run at him and always lets them cut inside hoping someone else will tackle them! His distribution is also very poor and needs to improve. Lennon was  up against him for 20mins and tore him to shreds, imagine if he had of been up against him for 90!!

Heard on radio again yesterday that he was talking about England squad callup again  :facepalm:

Simpson does all the defending basics of a full back poorly, he allows wingers to turn and run at him and always lets them cut inside hoping someone else will tackle them! His distribution is also very poor and needs to improve. Lennon was  up against him for 20mins and tore him to shreds, imagine if he had of been up against him for 90!!

Heard on radio again yesterday that he was talking about England squad callup again  :facepalm:

That deserves more than a single  :facepalm:, deserves something like this.  :facepalm: :dowie: :kinnear: x100

He didn't do particularly well this afternoon but it didn't help that he had a left-footed striker playing in front of him giving him little or no protection. This against one of the quickest wingers in the league. He got burned a couple of times and could have done better but he's not totally to blame. 

Simpson has come on a ton from his performances last season, right back is no longer a priority. Some real arm chair pundit stuff in here though, sometimes you have to back off if you know the winger has superior pace and could get in behind easily. Today wasn't his greatest showing but he was against a winger who has give some of the best a torid time.

Thought the goal had more to do with Lennon's quality then any form of defensive lapse as well.

Another great effort from a depleted team who ended the game dragging weary bones around the pitch and some of them really putting their bodies on the line.

If a football match was 80 minutes long we'd have won, if it was 100 minutes Spurs would have won.

I've seen better Newcastle teams but I've never seen one that works harder for the cause than this present bunch. Proud to support them.