Newcastle United 1 - 1 Tottenham - 22/01/11 - post match reaction from p22

Dave

Simpson has come on a ton from his performances last season, right back is no longer a priority. Some real arm chair pundit stuff in here though, sometimes you have to back off if you know the winger has superior pace and could get in behind easily. Today wasn't his greatest showing but he was against a winger who has give some of the best a torid time.

Thought the goal had more to do with Lennon's quality then any form of defensive lapse as well.

You mention 'arm chair pundit stuff' then come out with that.

Simpson backs off against everybody, it's hardly as if today is the first time he's done it. It seems he has to allow the person who's running at him to get into the box before he makes the decision to get closer to him which often leaves us with problems.

Simpson has come on a ton from his performances last season, right back is no longer a priority. Some real arm chair pundit stuff in here though, sometimes you have to back off if you know the winger has superior pace and could get in behind easily. Today wasn't his greatest showing but he was against a winger who has give some of the best a torid time.

Thought the goal had more to do with Lennon's quality then any form of defensive lapse as well.

Simpson backs off against everybody, it's hardly as if today is the first time he's done it. It seems he has to allow the person who's running at him to get into the box before he makes the decision to get closer to him which often leaves us with problems.

I thought that was the case last season but he seems to be backing off more effectively at the moment generally speaking.

Think I might of phrased that wrong, once we were stretched it was a lovely bit of individual play to exploit the space. Obviously it was an error that saw us caught so far up the field in the first place but I think it's harsh to be blaming Simpson or Williamson.

I thought that was the case last season but he seems to be backing off more effectively at the moment generally speaking.

Think I might of phrased that wrong, once we were stretched it was a lovely bit of individual play to exploit the space. Obviously it was an error that saw us caught so far up the field in the first place but I think it's harsh to be blaming Simpson or Williamson.

Fair enough. :thup: I'd like to see Williamson's role in it again before commenting on him but Simpson allowing Lennon to come in on his right foot was criminal, as Harper and Colo pointed out quite vehemently.

Fair enough. :thup: I'd like to see Williamson's role in it again before commenting on him but Simpson allowing Lennon to come in on his right foot was criminal, as Harper and Colo pointed out quite vehemently.

Williamson came forward and challenged with Crouch for the header, they both missed and the ball landed with Defoe.

I personally thought that Williamson made it incredibly easy for Lennon to come inside with the ball, he wasn't concentrating. Fair enough Simpson got turned, but had Williamson not shadowed Simpsons movement, he'd have been standing where Lennon took the ball.

I've been a fan of Williamson so far, but it was lack of concentration from him that probably caused the goal.

I personally thought that Williamson made it incredibly easy for Lennon to come inside with the ball, he wasn't concentrating. Fair enough Simpson got turned, but had Williamson not shadowed Simpsons movement, he'd have been standing where Lennon took the ball.

I've been a fan of Williamson so far, but it was lack of concentration from him that probably caused the goal.

As opposed to the lack of concentration from Simpson who left the goalscorer to pick the ball up and run at goal?

As opposed to the lack of concentration from Simpson who left the goalscorer to pick the ball up and run at goal?

I'm not opposing anything, or anyone's opinions, so less of the assumptions please.

Clearly mistakes were made leading up to the goal, but the way I saw it, had Williamson not copied Simpson's movement, we may have gotten away with it.

I'm not opposing anything, or anyone's opinions, so less of the assumptions please.

Clearly mistakes were made leading up to the goal, but the way I saw it, had Williamson not copied Simpson's movement, we may have gotten away with it.

The assumption?! :lol: You said "but it was lack of concentration from him that probably caused the goal." - I'm not assuming anything, you say it was lack of concentration from Williamson that caused the goal, I'm say it's lack of concentration from Simpson.

The assumption?! :lol: You said "but it was lack of concentration from him that probably caused the goal." - I'm not assuming anything, you say it was lack of concentration from Williamson that caused the goal, I'm say it's lack of concentration from Simpson.

You assumed that I was opposing Simpson lacking concentration, or making a mistake leading up to the goal (customary :lol: )

Barton's shite pass was a factor in the goal, Simpson's allowing Lennon to pick the ball up was a factor, but the last thing the happened before the goal was Lennon running across Williamson. My point was that despite all of the mistakes leading up to the goal, had Williamson not got sucked in, we might have gotten away with it.

Simpson backed off Lennon far too much imo, so much so that Lennon didn't even have to turn him. Just shift the ball a bit to get a free shot in, no trickery or drop of the shoulder required.

He's been backing off wingers all season long, it's a clear flaw in his game.

Really not convinced that Pieanar is anything out of the ordinary at all.

Agreed. Rarely looked more than a 100%er to me, and not even that today.

On the Simpson/Williamson debate, I have sympathy for the latter - he can't have expected Simpson to show him onto his only good foot.