Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

4-5-1 at Blackpool with Ireland off Ameobi.

Absolutely. Got in to some brilliant positions tonight but didn't get the ball. If he can take up those positions and we can get the ball to him, with Shola up top and Nolan supporting from deep, we could tear them apart.

4-5-1 at Blackpool with Ireland off Ameobi.

Absolutely. Got in to some brilliant positions tonight but didn't get the ball. If he can take up those positions and we can get the ball to him, with Shola up top and Nolan supporting from deep, we could tear them apart.

I'm up for this now!

:indi:

I'm in two minds on this one. When he got the ball he showed the vision and cleverness that we desperately lack up front. Always looking to pass forwards and make dangerous runs. Off the ball he looked a bit slow. Isn't blessed with much pace and we have our fair quota of midfielders who aren't the quickest. Nice to see some genuine quality on the ball though.

I'm in two minds on this one. When he got the ball he showed the vision and cleverness that we desperately lack up front. Always looking to pass forwards and make dangerous runs. Off the ball he looked a bit slow. Isn't blessed with much pace and we have our fair quota of midfielders who aren't the quickest. Nice to see some genuine quality on the ball though.

Sums it up nicely for me.

:thup:

I don't think he's ever going to be much use off the ball. Saying that, Spurs nearly bought Charlie Adam for £10m and he looks like a spectator when his team are defending at times.

I'm just a bit wary of adding more midfielders who aren't so quick. We already have Nolan, Barton, Guthrie and Smith who are a bit pedestrian. That said, Barton and Ireland do make up for their lack of pace with some genuine quality work in the final third.

I don't think he's ever going to be much use off the ball. Saying that, Spurs nearly bought Charlie Adam for £10m and he looks like a spectator when his team are defending at times.

I'm just a bit wary of adding more midfielders who aren't so quick. We already have Nolan, Barton, Guthrie and Smith who are a bit pedestrian. That said, Barton and Ireland do make up for their lack of pace with some genuine quality work in the final third.

Me too, I think if he is playing it will be behind a single striker so we don't need to sacrifice a body in midfield. Maybe only playing in Nolan's role when he's injured/suspended.

I know what you mean generally though, for midfield the first signing I would be looking for is someone who is genuinely mobile and athletic and could ideally fill it at CM or RW.

We can't afford to have too many games when Nolan, Ireland and/or Guthrie are playing without Tiote.

`4-5-1 at Blackpool with Ireland off Ameobi.`

agree with that....start nolan on the bench?

So you'd start Guthrie ahead of Nolan? :lol:

Guthrie actually does a lot more midfield work than Nolan, but he doesn't attack the opposition penalty area enough which is where Nolan is so good. When you are playing next to Tiote I think you have a responsibility to try and get forward a bit more. Probably Guthrie's main failing for me.

Thought Guthrie had a very good game last night, fairly tidy in possession, made some crucial blocks/tackles and made a few good forward runs.  However you can't leave Big Kev out and I fully agree with Tron's comments, it was obvious last night, and even more so at Villa that we missed any support through the middle of the pitch.  Strikers were really isolated.

I think Pardew had drilled into them to not overcommit from CM, let the wide men support the front two. It was more about one of the strikers making sure they dropped back to help out midfield and trying to keep pressure on as high up field as we could.

Every single one of them worked their bollocks off for the cause, there was more than one MOTM.

Ireland is so unfit but if he can stay injury free I think he can get his fitness up pretty quickly in the remaining 5 games and can be a huge part of our run in.

Guthrie actually does a lot more midfield work than Nolan, but he doesn't attack the opposition penalty area enough which is where Nolan is so good. When you are playing next to Tiote I think you have a responsibility to try and get forward a bit more. Probably Guthrie's main failing for me.

Nolan is currently our best bet for a goal, to not play him is insanity.

Guthrie actually does a lot more midfield work than Nolan.

I used to agree with this. Just isn't the case at all.

Thought he did ok last night all things considered. Neat and tidy and clearly has ability.

If he can play well for the rest of the season and the price/wages are modest then I'd be inclined to bring him in permanently. 

Guthrie actually does a lot more midfield work than Nolan.

I used to agree with this. Just isn't the case at all.

I should rephrase it. When I say midfield work I mean passing and moving to receive passes and generally knitting the midfield together. Nolan's work is mostly done in the penalty areas whether defending or attacking. You don't see him dictating the centre so much. Not that Guthrie does either but that's where he attempts to play.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I will keep Guthri in the side play Nolan of of a front man. then take of Guthri in the second half and put in Ireland......

No.