Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Basically we have Loven and Ranger as '2nd strikers' at the moment, if they are HBA and Ireland next season it's a big step forward.

Again though Ireland isn't a squad player and HBA is first choice.

Neither who has played upfront for any decent part of their career before. It's a step forward (obviously they're miles better players) but in a no way a solid one. Fairish enough if we play 4-5-1 next season but then we're going to massively reliant on the new boy (who chances are doesn't have a Prem pedigree picking it up quick)

Guest palnese

If we sell Xisco, Ireland may be his replacement in the current wage structure... or something like that.

It would take the pressure off if Nolan or Barton moved on. On both of their performances at Liverpool I can't see a single reason why a fit Ireland wouldn't walk into NUFC's team.

I wouldn't sell either of them. We need a squad of quality. We need at least 16 players whom all are good enough to play week in week out. Today we've got about 9 good or decent players.

If we sell Xisco, Ireland may be his replacement in the current wage structure... or something like that.

Hopefully Xisco is gone either way.

I'd like to have Ireland as a replacement for Guthrie, similar wages and value, but Ireland has a lot more going for him on his day, Guthrie is average at best.

Thought we would be after him whatever.

Really torn. Was a brilliant player for a season, still young and would no doubt be cheap. On the downside he has issues, plays his best football in the position HBA will be playing and won't settle for a bit part role.

If we did sign him I would be excited but equally worried.

What he said.

This.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Unconvinced

A season long loan would be best for all parties. He has had 4 months and done fuck all. Why would we outlay millions when getting nothing in return

Guest ykmkmdd

A season long loan would be best for all parties.

Apart from Villa, who will want to recover some cash and are likely convinced that a year on loan will only decrease his value further...

We have to put the days of signing crocks, just because they're cheap, behind us.

I realise it's a gamble on him finding his old form and fitness but I think we'd be better off giving that valuable squad place (and wages!) to a young signing who may or may not make it. How many times have we been stung going down this road? Viduka, Geremi, Smith, Butt, Duff, Kluivert, Carr, Babayaro, the list goes on. All had played very well at some point in their careers but we took a punt on them because their clubs had given up on them due to fitness, form or both. All turned out a failure and we wound up with an expensively assembled squad but struggled to fill our subs bench at times due to unprecedented injury lists. This season we were told Dan Gosling would be ready in the new year and look what's happened.

We could sign a James Perch or a Cheik Tiote but I'd rather take the punt on another player than someone who has failed to start a game in 4 months. You look at our key players now and they are never injured. The likes of Barton, Tiote, Enrique, Coloccini.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Apart from Villa, who will want to recover some cash and are likely convinced that a year on loan will only decrease his value further...

Tell me a team that will pay 4 million and cover 50k+ a week wages for someone with a poor fitness record who has had one decent season

Villa will have to take a massive hit on this

However, if we say "season long loan or nothing", and he says he won't sign for another club, Villa's hands are pretty much tied, aren't they? They either keep a player they don't want and who doesn't want to be there on their books, and with his reported £60k a week wages that would cost them just over £3m, or they agree a season long loan with a clause binding us to buy for X amount if he plays Z amounts of games, similar to our ben Arfa loan.

I cant believe people want us to sign Ireland, he has played 49 Min for us over a period of 4 months. His for the last couple of seasons have been way off, Villa just want to get rid of the greedy lying bastard. His injury record lately has been really bad, and the next thin is that we have players that can play in his best and possible only position(AMC / Behind the stirker(s) ) in Nolan, and Ben Arfa.

If we sign him it reminds me of when we signed Duff, we didnt need a left winger but the deal was to good to turn down. If we were to get him, I would only want him on load or else he would be to high of a risk in my mind.

We need strikers, central midfielder( i would prefer Nolan in the role behind the striker again), another winger and defenders.

I will be really disappointed if we sign Ireland.  He can only play one position and we're not even always going to play a formation to suit him.  When we do, we already have HBA or Nolan to play there (not a fan of Nolan playing off the striker mind).  If we play 4-4-2, he can't play.  Seems like a right waste of time and money if true.

Guest schmuck

I realise it's a gamble on him finding his old form and fitness but I think we'd be better off giving that valuable squad place (and wages!) to a young signing who may or may not make it. How many times have we been stung going down this road? Viduka, Geremi, Smith, Butt, Duff, Kluivert, Carr, Babayaro, the list goes on.

Joey Barton was heading for that list emphatically in most people's minds before this season. There's also the likes of David Ginola, Craig Bellamy, Scott Parker and Kevin Nolan, but you don't tend to remember them as players who ever lost their way because of how well they got back on track. With the level of performance Ireland is capable of, and providing we don't make too many other signings of his ilk this summer (ie risky ones - most of the players you listed were in the side at the same time and I would agree that flooding the entire team with 'question marks' like Ireland would be a big big mistake) he is well worth the gamble. We're not going to move forward playing within ourselves in the transfer market and Hollywood signings are out so, considering every signing is a risk to some degree, a mid-priced one with a potentially massive reward is one I'd be happy to take.

worth a punt at 2mil.  Better squad player then we have atmo.

ryan t vs ireland = no brainer imo. 

get baldy in.

Ryan Taylor has done more for Newcastle than Ireland has.

Joey Barton was heading for that list emphatically in most people's minds before this season. There's also the likes of David Ginola, Craig Bellamy, Scott Parker and Kevin Nolan, but you don't tend to remember them as players who ever lost their way because of how well they got back on track. With the level of performance Ireland is capable of, and providing we don't make too many other signings of his ilk this summer (ie risky ones - most of the players you listed were in the side at the same time and I would agree that flooding the entire team with 'question marks' like Ireland would be a big big mistake) he is well worth the gamble. We're not going to move forward playing within ourselves in the transfer market and Hollywood signings are out so, considering every signing is a risk to some degree, a mid-priced one with a potentially massive reward is one I'd be happy to take.

Ireland isn't worth the risk, we need to bring players in who we can rely on, he can't be relied on at all.

get baldy in.

Ryan Taylor has done more for Newcastle than Ireland has.

Not quite sure thats the point. As things currently stand the likes of Paul Huntington and David Edgar have done more for Newcastle than him, doesn't mean I would sign them ahead of him.

Not quite sure thats the point. As things currently stand the likes of Paul Huntington and David Edgar have done more for Newcastle than him, doesn't mean I would sign them ahead of him.

The point is that Ireland has been here since January and done nothing, we should stay well clear of him.

get baldy in.

For some reason I can't see Ashley being prepared to fork out 50k a week in wages for a squad player.