Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What a signing.  I take my hands off to the idiots who allowed this to go through.

Mike Tyson made that exact mistake after being beaten-up by Lennox Lewis for 8 rounds. What's your excuse?

Fair enough, people tend to look a bit silly when they jump in two footed with a decision early though (Enrique, Carroll, Hughton etc...).

Things change over time, something being wrong after a period of time doesn't have to be wrong earlier.

That's why I tend to wait a while before judging, especially when the judgement is on the harsh side.

Each to their own though.

"He's still got time to impress me because I still think there is a chance of something permanent here for Stephen," said Pardew. "Things at Villa aren't going too well. I want to have a good look at him before he goes back.

"He is under a little bit of pressure because there aren't many games left, but when you've got a player of Stephen's character, I don't think that is a bad thing. He is a player who has played on a big stage in the past, it's not like he is coming from a team which isn't high profile.

"Manchester City [where Ireland played before joining Villa] have been very high profile. There were big players arriving but he was their best player. I think he can handle the big stage here.

"He's a really nice guy, he's fitted in well. He needs our full attention. You can't let him drift. He needs to know he is important and he could be here. If he doesn't feel important he doesn't play his best."

Guest BooBoo

Really hope he can show some quality as he was a a very good goal scoring midfielder in his City days.

Can't see him in a Villa shirt next year after the things he's said about the club and the city. Always thought that if his head's right then he's a good asset and it sounds like Pardew fancies him next year.

That said he's got to show something on the park before we even think about making it permanent.

Can't see him in a Villa shirt next year after the things he's said about the club and the city. Always thought that if his head's right then he's a good asset and it sounds like Pardew fancies him next year.

That said he's got to show something on the park before we even think about making it permanent.

His wages are surely going to be a massive stumbling block though if all the quibbling about paying them during his loan and the size of them we made are to be taken as truths.

Guest BooBoo

Agreed. I think way too much is made over the "oooh he's a nutter". If we can put up with Barton, Ranger and Carroll's antics we can put up with him telling the odd porkie pie.

His wages are surely going to be a massive stumbling block though if all the quibbling about paying them during his loan and the size of them we made are to be taken as truths.

:dontknow:

Maybe he's willing to take a wage cut in exchange for playing somewhere he feels a bit more comfortable and happy?  I know it's a long shot like. :lol:

I really like what Pardew says about how Ireland needs to feel wanted and important to perform his best. Think thats very much the case. Well of course it can be said about every player but his personality seems to require that more than most.

On Radio Newcastle tonight, they had an interview with Pardew which I think was done today.  I wasn't listening that closely but the talk afterwards seemed to be that what Pardew had said implied that Ireland would not make the Stoke game.

On Radio Newcastle tonight, they had an interview with Pardew which I think was done today.  I wasn't listening that closely but the talk afterwards seemed to be that what Pardew had said implied that Ireland would not make the Stoke game.

Just checked. Says he will 'definitely not figure in that game', and we're going to have to wait and see on Barton.

Guest Chubby Jason

We've signed another injury-prone player with a bad attitude that's also a moron to top it off. Huzzah!

Houllier had the right idea dump him on some other sap.

This lad needs to do a Redondo if he has taken a penny

Q: Is it true you asked Milan not to pay you while you were injured?

A: Yes. It didn't seem fair. They had signed me to play football and though it wasn't my fault I felt I was letting them down, taking money under false pretences.

The club said no initially but I insisted - so that's what happened. I'm not a mercenary. Football has a lot of problems with violence and racism but there is room in the game for humanity as well.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Football:+RED+ALERT;+Two-year+agony+over+as+Milan+ace+roars+back.-a096371653