MLS

Kaizero

8 hours ago, cubaricho said:

The “Meet Me In St. Louis” TIFO for the opening St. Louis match was pitch perfect. 

Cool to be a part of it, but, of course, could see fuck all until the replays later.

Enjoying the style we're playing, though it seemed much muddier with more chasing than getting into the passing lanes (apart from Blom who was everywhere) than against Austin. Too small a sample size to have a clue whether teams are already adjusting or whether it was just a function of the difference between the styles of play that Austin and Charlotte employed. 

• 1 month later...

Not the MLS, but the commissioner of the Canadian Premier League has hinted that Alfonso Davies maybe becoming an owner or co-owner of a CPL team, most likely bringing back Edmonton who folded at the end of last season.

Having STL City tickets continues to be a fun ride.

Wife is getting seriously into it -  she wanted to re-watch the first half after we got home at 00:30 due to the tornado-warning-delayed start time because our seats are at the opposite end of the stadium from the goal we were attacking.

On board with the Club's approach to just about everything, and am enjoying the style of play - especially the nice dose of shithousery that is proving to be an effective addition to the high-pressing style of play - not sure which is more responsible for the errors we're creating in the opposition. Still early days, and I'm not sure we have the depth to maintain it throughout the whole season or how long it will be until other teams adapt effectively to it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to find out why Orlando had to play Charlotte at a venue that only held 5,000 people last night in the Lamar Hunt Cup? Doesn't Charlotte get like 70k a game or are they already done with that? :lol:

It didn't even sell out. It just seems so weird. Like the cup will always be a joke if this is how they're treating it.

I couldn't find anything on Google about why it was played there does anyone else know why?

42 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Apple TV are giving 1 month free trial codes for MLS passes that you can redeem until October.

It might help some people get their footy fix during the summer.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/news/mls-season-pass-free-trial-debuts-from-apple-tv-20230513-WST-432779.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1683977564

I got a only valid in US store message, shame

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Stifler said:

Looks like hardly any fans at this New York City FC match.

Is it because they are doing poorly in the league, because they are still playing in a Baseball stadium, or both? 

Neither one helps but people wrongly assume with all sorts of things that NYC = lots of people = big crowds. It’s the same problem for any college team in the NY area trying to break through. It’s the Yankees, Giants, Jets, Mets/Knicks, Nets, and Rangers first, plus a million other things happening in the city on a daily basis (or people getting out of the city in the summer).   

I think they will do much better in Queens, but it will be interesting to see after what I’m guessing will be an initial honeymoon phase.

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/06/2023 at 20:35, timeEd32 said:

Neither one helps but people wrongly assume with all sorts of things that NYC = lots of people = big crowds. It’s the same problem for any college team in the NY area trying to break through. It’s the Yankees, Giants, Jets, Mets/Knicks, Nets, and Rangers first, plus a million other things happening in the city on a daily basis (or people getting out of the city in the summer).   

I think they will do much better in Queens, but it will be interesting to see after what I’m guessing will be an initial honeymoon phase.

Aye, I live in Queens and the stadium is all the way up in the Bronx. Probably two hours to get there by public transportation if you live in Queens or Brooklyn. The Bronx has a large Dominican and Puerto Rican population and their main sport is baseball so that probably doesn’t help either. I did go one time and the quality was quite poor. Attendance was scattered and I can’t think of a notable thing about the game other than poor touches. 

I think the best crowd for sport in NYC is hockey. Ranger fans take over the the public transport and it all looks pretty exciting. I think that’d be the plan of action if I was visiting NYC imo. Easy to get to, too. If you’re not going to live cricket or rugby games in England, there’s no point of going to see a baseball or NFL game here. They’re just less exciting versions. 

Edited by Astroblack

39 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

Aye, I live in Queens and the stadium is all the way up in the Bronx. Probably two hours to get there by public transportation if you live in Queens or Brooklyn. The Bronx has a large Dominican and Puerto Rican population and their main sport is baseball so that probably doesn’t help either. I did go one time and the quality was quite poor. Attendance was scattered and I can’t think of a notable thing about the game other than poor touches. 

I think the best crowd for sport in NYC is hockey. Ranger fans take over the the public transport and it all looks pretty exciting. I think that’d be the plan of action if I was visiting NYC imo. Easy to get to, too. If you’re not going to live cricket or rugby games in England, there’s no point of going to see a baseball or NFL game here. They’re just less exciting versions. 

Going to a Rangers game at MSG is something special. I’ve been lucky enough to go to a lot of NHL games during my life (my father was one of Sweden’s first hockey agents).

MSG and Joe Louis Arena in Detroit (RIP 🥹) were full of history and charm in a way that the newer, shinier arenas can never replicate. In a way that’s similar to SJP in comparison to the newer stadiums in England as well. 

Fun story: I was at the IHL All Star Game at the Van Andel Arena (Great arena as well) in Grand Rapids back in 1997 and got to meet the legend that is Gordie Howe and have a burger and a beer with the Hanson Brothers from Slapshot. 

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, Viana said:

The penalties from the 90s were great too. In all honesty, everything (bar salaries and facilities) were better in MLS in the 90s. 

I'm old, NASL was the league I most enjoyed in the USA. Minnesota Kicks and Minnesota Strikers with Alan Willey.

18 minutes ago, McDog said:

I'm old, NASL was the league I most enjoyed in the USA. Minnesota Kicks and Minnesota Strikers with Alan Willey.

Love a bit of old NASL. 

Honestly, my biggest issue with the modern form of MLS is that it feels a bit devoid of unique identity.