MLS

Kaizero

yeah,the whitecaps game was,a shocker(in a good way),missing few of players,eric hassli through red card,jay deMerit(our captain),davide chiumiento(best player imoh) not starting(hamstring),russell teibert and omar salgado(our first pick in the draft) at u20"s.we played a young(23) brazilian camilo da silva sanvezzo upfront,he looked dangerous all game,but didn't get much service til chiumiento came on and set up the 2 goal and first for camilo,in 92 min,then scored great header,on perfect cross from nizar khalfan in 93 min,you'd have thought we won the league,as the stands erupted.and sporting must have been in shock,gave up the ball on restart,back four just standing around,we almost got a fourth,all in all a good day,and the fact nufc had won in the morning made it all the better.

cali mag thanks for the invite,will keep it in mind,as i'm hoping to go to a couple away games,will let know as date gets closer,must admit am enjoying msl,never really watched it before,as i can't stand toronto

He looked steady his technique was decent but not perfect he looked a little tense. Seems a nice chap and I think this was really a bit of a mini PR Stunt for Kansas to open up some new markets.

a bigger PR stunt than anything else. it drew over 3000 viewers, which some tweeted was more than most Dallas FC home games last season. so not bad coverage for a reserve game.

Slightly incorrect as the FC Dallas average home attendance was 10,815.

I'd heard mixed reviews of Chiuemiento.

i've only seen,for just over 45min and the bit he came for for the last. he's had slight hamstring problem,since the start. but apparently he signed at juventus at 16went to switzerland at 20 to get some first team games,thats where we got him.but the little bit i've seen of him,he's got a good touch,plays smart passes,plays with his head up. can't wait to see him a bit more. maybe he'll be starting tonight.

Can anybody explain to me this "bid" thing for teams to join the MLS? Don't the best clubs in the division below have good enough economy to handle a promotion?

Not even close, most of them aren't in big enough cities to host an MLS team. The bigger, and best teams have moved up though, despite not being the same franchise.

I see. What happend to Miami FC's MLS bid? Would they extend the league or disqualify the least powerful teams from MLS?

As far as I can see they have changed their name to FL Strikers. Actually I am going to the game on Saturday against FC Edmonton.  It's going to be fun to see how the level is like and most of all how the stadium atmosphere is.

There's still a few spots open over the next few years for them to come in, but I honestly have no clue what the status of their bid is or anything like that.

I've only been to a PDL game since that's all I have around here, I'm sure the atmosphere will be great in Edmonton, even if numbers are low, the people that go love it and create a great atmosphere at most lower level games.

Garber wants 24 teams total last I heard.  That's what we have now (18), plus Montreal next season, and then a few more.  Another NYC franchise is very likely (Cosmos) and then they will be looking into other markets and see what comes around.  As far as I know, they plan to stop after Montreal though for at least a few seasons to let the talent pool catch up with the expansion of the league.

Which newspaper do you recommend for US and international soccer coverage? I've read USA Today and NYT a couple of times, and big soccer news are barely mentioned in the sports section.

The setup of the MLS follows the US Franchise model (NFL, NBA etc), rather than the open league model that the rest of the world follows.

Franchises each own a fraction of the league, and as such the league is closed to external teams. Franchise leagues do not have relegation or promotion.  These franchise leagues do have expansion possibilities to accept new teams - but the entire league (i.e. each franchise) must vote to accept the new entrant and grant them a franchise to the league.

When the NHL expanded, new teams had to buy their way into the league and the entrance fee was distributed amongst the existing franchise holders. I don't think that MLS soccer is rich enough to have that process (maybe they do) but the expansion is carefully controlled as they must ensure that the talent pool of players available is good enough to maintain a worthwhile product.

A league without relegation or promotion is strange to non-americans, but that's just how sports works in the US.