MLS

Kaizero

Man, Beckham showed his class last night at the TFC match.  At 35, he's still better than anyone on the pitch. He took some sublime free kicks and at one point, basically looped a 30 yarder onto the foot of the Galaxy striker who whiffed on an wide open goal. 

The MLS is better than 5yrs ago, but still hovering around League 3 standard or below.  That being said, there's entertainment there and it's not like the USL is any better.

First home match for the Portland Timbers tonight.  Should be quite a sight.

goodluck with home opener,cheers.and saw today on the whitecaps site,we get citeh for summer friendly,was hoping for the toon,but oh well...

Did any of my fellow Yanks hear what Bob Ryan said about that national anthem on Around the Horn? I only saw a minute of it, which consisted of Reali cutting him off before he finished. He was not happy about it though, not sure how anyone could not like that.

What a cracking atmosphere.

Bob Ryan is an idiot for having any opinion on that.  The fans sang the national anthem, it showed some pride.  I loved it. 

Portland and Seattle are wonderful cities for embracing the teams in he manner they do.  Thumbs up to them, I'd have season tickets to either if I lived out there. 

Did any of my fellow Yanks hear what Bob Ryan said about that national anthem on Around the Horn? I only saw a minute of it, which consisted of Reali cutting him off before he finished. He was not happy about it though, not sure how anyone could not like that.

:lol: Laughed my ass off listening to him, man. He's dead inside. They just gave it love on PTI.

Was catching up with the World Football Phone In today and despite a bit of skewing on figures the MLS pulls  in more punters than Brazil's Serie A allegedly. Pretty impressive given that a lot of the matches in the league building up the playoffs effectively don't matter too much.

Portland fans singing the national anthem.  :thup:

Do they play the anthem before every game? You lot love that anthem.

:lol: We go a bit North Korea on the Anthem, but this was awesome, from what I've seen.

One of the best parts of this video is the end because of the big tifo display of the city skyline with the sunshine motif behind it and the large cascadian flag made up by holding those pieces of paper.  It's really amazing that the Front Office of the Portland Timbers works so closely with the Timbers Army (their main supporters group) and lets them run wild with this kind of stuff.  To let the supporters in early to set that kind of stuff up is a really excellent move by the team and will only benefit the team itself but more importantly the league as well.  It will show all other franchises how to run one properly.