MLS

Kaizero

Guest Cdn_geordie

TFC lose 5-0 to New York tonight. What a f*cking joke that team is. Its a crime to have to live in the worst sport's city in the world.

Hey at least you have 3 big sports teams in the city. I have to travel 4 hours for NHL, 2 hours for CFL and 18 hours for MLS. Rather have a sucky team here than none!

Despite rooting for the Whitecaps I think TFC are much better equipt for Concaf next year, Frings and Kooverman are decent signings. Don't know what has happened to De Guzman, shadow of his former self.

Winter will turn things around there. Not a fan of Baseball so I can't offer any consolation about the Blue Jays. As for the Leafs, yeah they suck and look like they will continue to suck but when my team is the Oilers I feel your pain.

TFC lose 5-0 to New York tonight. What a f*cking joke that team is. Its a crime to have to live in the worst sport's city in the world.

Brutal, just fucking brutal. 

I was just thinking about getting to a game at BMO Field sometime this season.  I've never been, imagine it won't be hard to scoop some tix.  Should I spare myself the frustration?

He's pretty shit, but it'd be nice to have a left-back.

http://www.brotherlygame.com/2011/7/7/2264561/jordan-harvey-philadelphia-union-vancouver-whitecaps-allocation-money

The Philadelphia Union have traded starting left back Jordan Harvey to the Vancouver Whitecaps for an undisclosed amount of allocation money.

Harvey, who has started almost every single game in Union history, was a member of the Union's vaunted defensive back four. So far into 2011, the Union have given up only 16 goals, which puts them as the second best defense in terms of goals against.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Heneage

Do any of you lot listen to the ExtraTime Radio show they do? Literally no mention of our game vs Kansas this week but a stupid segment with some 30 Rock actor about how 'great' he is.

• 2 weeks later...

Carlos Ruiz leaves Philly Union. He was a fat lazy waste of space. Good riddance. He's basically Michael Owen but even shitter.

Of course, he was top scorer of a team that can't score goals, so he needs to be replaced. ASAP.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

MLS frustrates me, the swing in quality numbs the mind. Could be a very good standard of league, but then... its not.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/Freddy-Adu-return-to-MLS-soccer-Philadelphia-Union-081111

Freddy Adu is coming back to Major League Soccer, and he will be joining a team he could help turn into a legitimate title contender.

After initially being linked to a move to Chivas USA, sources within MLS have told Fox Soccer that Adu will be signing with the Philadelphia Union. An announcement on the move is expected to be made on Friday.

The signing re-unites Adu with Union head coach Peter Nowak, who was head coach of D.C. United during Adu’s early years in MLS.

Chivas USA had been lining up a move to acquire the 22-year-old midfielder, and had a move to sign him as a designated player lined up only to have ownership balk at the move at the last minute. That decision paved the way for Adu to move to Philadelphia, where he’ll be joining a Union side currently battling the Columbus Crew for first place in the Eastern Conference.

Adu will not be joining the Union as a designated player.

Adu’s arrival comes just as the Union looks to revamp an offense that recently lost striker Carlos Ruiz to a transfer to Mexican side Veracruz. Philadelphia will be hoping Adu can provide the playmaker the squad has sorely needed since joining MLS last year. Combining Adu with the forward tandem of Danny Mwanga and Sebastien LeToux could give the Union the sort of high-powered attack they will need to make a deep playoff run.

An Adu-Nowak reunion might seem odd considering the way they clashed during Adu’s time in DC, but the two repaired their relationship in the years after, and worked together on the 2008 US Olympic Team. When asked about Adu a year ago, Nowak said he still rated Adu as a player and would love the chance to work with him again.

MLS frustrates me, the swing in quality numbs the mind. Could be a very good standard of league, but then... its not.

i know,my first season(and whitecaps first)watching,its been an expierience.after starting with a win,and having 2 0r 3 injuries,playing sat,wed sat for the first 2 months and no wins ,a few draws,some glimmers of quaility,chiumiento probably best player,hassli been brilliant,rochat has been the steady to very good some nights,and camilo who shows some quaility.other that the rest of the team look pretty pedestrian,some of them like salinas show they can play one night,then look utter crap for the next month.its been a very frustrating summer,although tbh,first year,all new players, i didn't really expect alot.and now,after finaly getting a nice win,4-2 over chicago,and playing well and looking like a team,should be a decent end of season run(hopefuly).

There's just too much parity in the league to be honest.  It's kind of exciting in one sense - you want every team to be able to win - but every league needs underdogs if you ask me.  The quality is just not good enough outside of three or four players in each squad so if your game-changers don't show up that day you can lose, very easily.

That is the soonest they'll be able to join but the problem has been securing funding and what-not for the franchise.  There was a lot of hype but very little substance.  I think they'll press the pause button on expansion after Montreal next season.

There's just too much parity in the league to be honest.  It's kind of exciting in one sense - you want every team to be able to win - but every league needs underdogs if you ask me.  The quality is just not good enough outside of three or four players in each squad so if your game-changers don't show up that day you can lose, very easily.

you nailed there,you need those 3 or 4 players to show up every night and that would be to much to ask,once the expansions are all done,a few years to bring the overall depth up,i mean its great just having a real "pro" team. i mean theres nights you can see squad they had in mind when they picked these guys,but it just hasn't happened enough.but like i said its only the first season,so i'm hopeful.

Grant Wahl just tweeted this:

Philadelphia Union says Adu is not a DP, which wasn't the impression Adu was under when he signed.

This could get interesting.  :lol:

Edit: Followed it with this:

Possible/likely that Adu is earning "DP" salary that's paid down by allocation money so that he doesn't count as official DP.

• 2 weeks later...

i was in portland the other day when they had a match on, the bars were flooded with people wearing the official shirts. reminded me of newcastle in a way cos the stadium is so close to the downtown area.

It is the only MLS stadium actually in the downtown area.  They are the best support in the league to be honest.  Everything is connected to the public transport and is in a central location.

i was in portland the other day when they had a match on, the bars were flooded with people wearing the official shirts. reminded me of newcastle in a way cos the stadium is so close to the downtown area.

It is the only MLS stadium actually in the downtown area.  They are the best support in the league to be honest.  Everything is connected to the public transport and is in a central location.

yeah. they're replaying their game on tv now and showed some lumberjack guy chainsawing a log of wood pitch side. mental.