I don't understand the transfer request.

Parky

Ashley is simply buying and selling assets, as rich folk do. He's selling the asset at its peak value. If he wants to make more money, he will have to invest it back, or at least a fair chunk of it at once (we can get 2 or 3 players to improve us with 30m. Fingers crossed thats his plan otherwise we're fucked.

So basically I reckon AC wasn't pushed out as much as he was tempted into the move by all parties concerned including our very own directors. "Famous club, Number 9, Luis Suarez, oh and 3x what you're on now"

Basically think this is the more likely scenario. If it turns out he didn't really care about NUFC as much as we thought, then a move to Liverpool under a new manager with a new striker partner and massive wages is actually a very good package.

It's just the local connection he has that makes it hard to understand. Otherwise it's perfectly normal.

Carroll would have been due a 'loyalty bonus' if he was transferred without officially requesting it. So, It seems like NUFC have said we will sell you for £35 million net. Either Liverpool can offer that + your bonus -something like 40 million- or you can put in a transfer request and forgo it. Given that he increases his wages and gets various other benefits from the deal, Carroll agrees to submit an official request. Both parties 'win'. 

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

Money was the reason for the transfer request makes perfect sense to me they're fuckin tripplin his wages

:idiot2:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h74/hhhhhh_01/Picture2.png

My guess.

Once Liverpool offered 35m Ashley decided he'd be willing to sell. (Hard to really blame him at that either price, IMO)

However, I don't think he was desperate to sell either, so he calls Carroll('s agent) and tells him he has an offer that he'd be willing to accept, but he'll only do so if Carroll puts in a transfer request. If Carroll wants to stay, he won't force him to go and will be happy to keep him.

Essentially he put the decision in Carroll's hands, and Carroll fucked us.

My guess.

Once Liverpool offered 35m Ashley decided he'd be willing to sell. (Hard to really blame him at that either price, IMO)

However, I don't think he was desperate to sell either, so he calls Carroll('s agent) and tells him he has an offer that he'd be willing to accept, but he'll only do so if Carroll puts in a transfer request. If Carroll wants to stay, he won't force him to go and will be happy to keep him.

Essentially he put the decision in Carroll's hands, and Carroll f***ed us.

My thought as well.  I think 35m is a ridiculous offer and Ashley cannot turn it down.  Therefore he left the decision to Carroll.

That's probably what Carroll said "he told me to go".  Bullshit.

If Ashley did want to sell Carroll or Carroll did not want to leave us, he would not make the transfer request. 

Maybe the board realised that £35m was the most we were going to get for Carroll.  Then, maybe, to get out of paying out on a few clauses in Carroll's new contract made Carroll hand in a transfer request.

Shrewd business, maybe.

My guess.

My thought as well.  I think 35m is a ridiculous offer and Ashley cannot turn it down.  Therefore he left the decision to Carroll.

That's probably what Carroll said "he told me to go".  Bullshit.

If Ashley did want to sell Carroll or Carroll did not want to leave us, he would not make the transfer request.  

Unless his agent was pushing it? AC is a pretty young lad, if his agent is pushing him one way (think of the rise he'll get) it would be quite easy for AC to perceive that as the club pushing him.. I dunno, I want to have some skerrick of sympathy for him.

My guess.

Essentially he put the decision in Carroll's hands, and Carroll fucked us.

I think partly what you said, but it also has to be mentioned that it was probably in the club's best interests for Carroll to submit a transfer request as if his contract was like most, we'd have had to pay him a chunky loyalty bonus. If I remember right from the Milner and Barton cases, he'd have had to have been given all the loyalty bonuses he was due for the remainder of his contract which would have been a couple of million.

My guess.

My thought as well.  I think 35m is a ridiculous offer and Ashley cannot turn it down.  Therefore he left the decision to Carroll.

Yeah, same here.

Carroll's been a bit thick, in giving a fanzine those texts. He can't appear at the next Liverpool press conference and say he didn't really want to join them.

My guess.

My thought as well.  I think 35m is a ridiculous offer and Ashley cannot turn it down.  Therefore he left the decision to Carroll.

That's probably what Carroll said "he told me to go".  Bullshit.

Ofcourse he can turn it down. You say "No our player is not for sale" its quite simple. Then if Carroll says "But these lot think im class and are gonna triple my wage", you say "we'll meet you half way as we want to keep our best players & we value you as much as they do if not more"

Im not sure you could hold it against Carroll to use the situation to get a pay rise, when seperate clubs are bidding near or over 30m for the lad & hes getting praise from some of the best managers in the game. I realistically doubt a footballer currently exists that would turn down a 50 grand wage increase regardless of who hes playing for. None of them would, loyalty isnt involved with those kind of numbers.

My guess.

Unless his agent was pushing it? AC is a pretty young lad, if his agent is pushing him one way (think of the rise he'll get) it would be quite easy for AC to perceive that as the club pushing him.. I dunno, I want to have some skerrick of sympathy for him.

Could be as well.  It's the best interest for Carroll's agent to make the deal. 

I am not that devastated for the loss of Carroll.  35m is the best price we could get from him.  I mean, I don't think he will stay with us forever, and he will likely to ask for a transfer within 2-3 years.  I doubt whether we could get that much if he let the public know he wants to leave.

Ofcourse he can turn it down. You say "No our player is not for sale" its quite simple. Then if Carroll says "But these lot think im class and are gonna triple my wage", you say "we'll meet you half way as we want to keep our best players & we value you as much as they do if not more"

Im not sure you could hold it against Carroll to use the situation to get a pay rise, when seperate clubs are bidding near or over 30m for the lad & hes getting praise from some of the best managers in the game. I realistically doubt a footballer currently exists that would turn down a 50 grand wage increase regardless of who hes playing for. None of them would, loyalty isnt involved with those kind of numbers.

Jayson, 35m is a ridiculous offer.  Look at Carroll's record. 34 career goals so far. Start to be prolific just 6 months ago (he is not prolific last year), is "optimistically expected" to be a regular international player, has some personal problems, is far from a complete product.  He is fxxking valuable for us, I know, but 35m is too much for a player who has relatively high risk not fulfilling his potential.

The key point is whether 35m is a ridiculous offer. If you honestly think Carroll is not for sale at any price, then ok, you can continue to bash Ashley.  My stand is if Ashley did give Carroll a choice, then he is doing "what a normal person should do".

Hey, as long as we're inventing conspiracy theories and dirty lies...

What if this has actually been in the pipeline for ages?

What if all this talk coming from club leadership about "not being for sale at any price" was bullshit to begin with?

What if Carroll has been demanding a transfer for a while and his mysteriously extending "injury" was a ploy to force a move?

Jayson, 35m is a ridiculous offer.  Look at Carroll's record. 34 career goals so far. Start to be prolific just 6 months ago (he is not prolific last year), is "optimistically expected" to be a regular international player, has some personal problems, is far from a complete product.  He is fxxking valuable for us, I know, but 35m is too much for a player who has relatively high risk not fulfilling his potential.

The key point is whether 35m is a ridiculous offer. If you honestly think Carroll is not for sale at any price, then ok, you can continue to bash Ashley.  My stand is if Ashley did give Carroll a choice, then he is doing "what a normal person should do".

That's exactly it. If we were offered 80M for Carroll surely noone would be complaining, but 35M is just too much in the grey area of a ridiculous offer, its a lot sure, but small enough that we might never see it reinvested, if we got 80M then even if he pocked 50% we'd have loads. Sadly i think Carroll wanted to go, but i have no idea as to why, liverpool aren't a whole lot better than us at the moment and don't have a clear path back to the CL.

Dont players get a percentage of the final fee, if they dont ask for a transfer?

I know thats what used to happen, in some transfers, they would get 10% of the fee.

So this would be 3.5million for Carroll to have straight away... might have been a factor.

People looking for excuses to believe Ashley. Mongs

I think it's the other way around.  :rolleyes:

Quoted for truth. Hilarious that people really believe he wanted to stay and was pushed out. It seems on this forum you have to either be on one side of the fence or the other. Ashley is a cunt, we'll probably see less than half that money reinvested and aslong as he's here I believe we'll be a bottom half team if not worse. Carroll wanted to go play for a 'bigger club' because there's no such thing as hometown loyalty when it comes to our youth players it seems as evident by Donaldsons comments.

What if Carroll has been demanding a transfer for a while and his mysteriously extending "injury" was a ploy to force a move?

Ugh. Agents sometimes advise players to fake injuries to force a club's hand. There was something a bit strange about the way the injury was handled, with him going out to the Middle East on holiday rather than staying at the club and receiving treatment. The transfer itself has the atmosphere of a charade.

I'd agree with previous posters, that Carroll's agent would have wanted the transfer to happen, and he's the one who the club would have negotiated with. Carroll isn't the sharpest tool in the box, and I suspect would have been easily manipulated. The last minute attempt off his own bat to text a fanzine about his unwillingness to go is evidence of his naivety.

That's exactly it. If we were offered 80M for Carroll surely noone would be complaining, but 35M is just too much in the grey area of a ridiculous offer, its a lot sure, but small enough that we might never see it reinvested, if we got 80M then even if he pocked 50% we'd have loads. Sadly i think Carroll wanted to go, but i have no idea as to why, liverpool aren't a whole lot better than us at the moment and don't have a clear path back to the CL.

35m is not in the "grey area." 35m is obliterates the grey area to pieces. :lol:

Andy Carroll is now the 8th most highly valued footballer in the history of the world. He joins the ranks of Christiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Zinedine Zidane, and Louis Figo.

Yes, he has the potential to be one of the best strikers in the world. But 35m is a fee you pay for somebody who already is one of the best strikers in the world. Not for someone who may or may not be.

Basically the media hype machine and John Henry's desperation to not get stoned by half of Merseyside has landed us a ridiculous deal.

Emotionally, it's devastating of course. But if we had assurances that this would be re-invested into the squad then we should be laughing.

Ah... that last bit though. :facepalm:

Ugh. Agents sometimes advise players to fake injuries to force a club's hand. There was something a bit strange about the way the injury was handled, with him going out to the Middle East on holiday rather than staying at the club and receiving treatment. The transfer itself has the atmosphere of a charade.

I'd agree with previous posters, that Carroll's agent would have wanted the transfer to happen, and he's the one who the club would have negotiated with. Carroll isn't the sharpest tool in the box, and I suspect would have been easily manipulated. The last minute attempt off his own bat to text a fanzine about his unwillingness to go is evidence of his naivety.

Definitely, he will be having a few quid from the deal, that's for sure.

Guest Brazilianbob

Why do you think the Tottenham bid rumours surfaced all through January? To draw out other interested parties.

It was always NUFC's intention to sell him this month.

Dark forces at work.

Of course.  This is ultimately why Hughton was sacked because Llambias and Ashley knew they wouldn't be able to shift Carroll with Hughton still in post.  Its all been very carefully orchestrated by NUFC, starting with Hughtons sacking and the appointment of no mark yes man Pardew.