Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2011

LucaAltieri

Guest Roger Kint

Did HBA play AM regularly before? I always saw him play on the wing whenever i caught a game for Marseille/Lyon. Seems to me that despite this forums decision to give him that role theres a good chance Pardew will use him on the wing given his 'two up top' quote.

Edit: Agree with colocho that a target man is not essential, bring in two who know where the goal is and are mobile

I watch Marseille a lot, and can tell you he was first and foremost a LW.

What i thought, really can see him sticking to 4-4-2 for the most part.

Guest Roger Kint

players can change position even at a late stage in their careers, see barton and venison

Obviously but my point was i think Pardew will use him as a winger.

Guest Roger Kint

I think he could be lost in the centre ... in this league anyway.

My biggest concern if he did is that we would be using 1 striker ahead of him so unless we buy two new wingers who can score upwards of 5/6/7 goals a season each its asking a lot of him and whoever he plays off. At least 4-4-2 we get a solid midfield with goals in it and 2 up top to share the burden.

For me, we need,in order of priority (In brackets are a few suggestions I've seen us linked with, there probably is better players/value to be found) :

2-3 strikers ( Gervinho,Elmander, maybe a promising young striker from Europe?)

Cover at DM and LB

A quality winger to compete for a first team place (Marveux,Piatti,Perotti?)

Stephen Ireland permanently if he proves to be a success.

Another centre back to act as cover as Sol will probably be on his way out (We could improve on Saylor/Williamson in the first team, but with their 5 year contracts and adequate performances this season I don't think we will).

I heard rumors that one of the reasons why he signed for us was that he was promised his favorite position: AM. And I think Ben Arfa could do much more damage in that position than as LM. His acceleration and touch are beyond belief. A cd is fucked if HBA comes directly at him. The worst thing he could do in such a situation is to back off. That will invite HBA into the box, and we've seen his shot. So the cd has no other alternative than to pressure him. But that disrupts the defense line and a room opens up for other players to run in, enabling HBA to pass them through. However, when the defense line is disorganized, HBA will have few problems dancing through.

If HBA on the other hand is on the LM, it's easier to contain him. Like with Bale, the opponent rm and rb must not give him room, and always double up and lead him  to the edges of the pitch, forcing him to cross, leaving the cd with the job of clearing them. 

Guest Roger Kint

You infidel! Someone punish this man!  :knuppel2:

Were you a regular watcher of his full games in France?

I'm on about three players to upgrade the first team exclusively.

GK: Harper

RB: Simpson

CB: Coloccini

CB: Upgrade

LB: Enrique

RM: Barton

CM: Nolan

CM: Tiote

LM: Upgrade

AM: Ben Arfa

ST: Upgrade

Yeah thats all great and that but any names you'd like to see in these positions?

CB: Douglas (Twente)

LM: Jarvis

ST: Gameiro

I've not seen much of Gameiro so can't really comment on him, bit Douglas and Jarvis would be immense signings for us. I'd try and pick up a backup full back if possible as well, van Aanholt would probably be ideal for that.

I must confess I have not been a regular watcher. I first got my eyes on him when he played CL.  From those matches and videos on the tube, I have on single impression of him: He's an outstanding talent, but he sometimes loves the ball too much. He eases past 2 players, but instead of passing he then goes for the 3rd and 4th player and subsequently looses the ball. He suffers in other words from the Ronaldo syndrome. What SAF tought Ronaldo, that took him to another level as a player, was the skill of when it's appropriate to pass and when you should dribble. If HBA is able to learn this with us, I honestly believe he will play for Barca or Real Madrid in a couple of seasons. His talent is  very rare. Few players  have that touch he possesses. Is this a correct picture of him?

Guest Roger Kint

I must confess I have not been a regular watcher. I first got my eyes on him when he played CL.  From those matches and videos on the tube, I have on single impression of him: He's an outstanding talent, but he sometimes loves the ball too much. He eases past 2 players, but instead of passing he then goes for the 3rd and 4th player and subsequently looses the ball. He suffers in other words from the Ronaldo syndrome. What SAF tought Ronaldo, that took him to another level as a player, was the skill of when it's appropriate to pass and when you should dribble. If HBA is able to learn this with us, I honestly believe he will play for Barca or Real Madrid in a couple of seasons. His talent is  very rare. Few players  have that touch he possesses. Is this a correct picture of him?

Firstly what the hell is a correct picture of him? I have admitted to not watching enough of him other than random games and a few youtube clips. My point is thats not really enough to assume he will be better at AM or that he will be used there. I gnored the Ronaldo bit as he isnt in his class so its irrelevent to this discussion.

His talent is  very rare. Few players  have that touch he possesses. Is this a correct picture of him?

Agreed.

Did HBA play AM regularly before? I always saw him play on the wing whenever i caught a game for Marseille/Lyon. Seems to me that despite this forums decision to give him that role theres a good chance Pardew will use him on the wing given his 'two up top' quote.

Edit: Agree with colocho that a target man is not essential, bring in two who know where the goal is and are mobile

pardew probably will use him out wide but i feel his best position is a non position, beardsleyesque drifting as he seems comfortable wherever he gets the ball. i always wanted ginola to be pulled away from the left aswell for the same reason and on the couple of occasions he did he was fantastic.

players can change position even at a late stage in their careers, see barton and venison

That's how I see HBA too.

Guest Roger Kint

He is also only a young lad and can learn, look what Ronaldo was like...he was all tricks etc.

Turned into a storming game changing player.

I agree he can learn and will get better. The comparison to Ronaldo though...when Ronaldo was his age he hit 40 odd goals and god only knows how many assists and world class performances, different class.

He is also only a young lad and can learn, look what Ronaldo was like...he was all tricks etc.

I agree he can learn and will get better. The comparison to Ronaldo though...when Ronaldo was his age he hit 40 odd goals and god only knows how many assists and world class performances, different class.

True but my point was, when man u bought him he was all tricks and flicks.

Fergie turned him into a game winning machine.

I know the two players are not on the same level.

Guest Roger Kint

Ronaldo is the best player in the world, in many people's eyes. HBA has some way to go before you can mention the two in the same sentence ...

Hence what i said to punk

Guest Roger Kint

True but my point was, when man u bought him he was all tricks and flicks.

Fergie turned him into a game winning machine.

I know the two players are not on the same level.

Wasnt disagreeing with you, just expanding on my point i started to punk.