Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2011

LucaAltieri

It's somewhere between hope and expectation, I suppose. I don't expect us to sign 2 new starting strikers, and Best is easily the pick of the current bunch.

He's a player that battles for the ball when we don't have it, then gets straight on the shoulder when we do, and i like that. He can get a lot of goals at this level with the right service.

Still, he can't be starting ffs!

Rather have a targetman than rely on Best for a whole season.

Best has been a good buy after all. Who would have thought? How much would we get if we sold him now, and how much would it cost to replace him? No brainer to keep him, possibly as a starter if he continues the form he has been in.

Guest levi914

im tired of hearing samba again and again.  he isnt realistic for a number of reasons. 1 he is captain on blackburn and wouldnt be here 2 he has just signed a new 4 and a half year deal 3 he thinks he is the best player in the world so would want more then 50k a week wages and we wouldnt pay it. 4 if he did want to go or was up for sale arsenal, liverpool and spurs would want him just to name a few.

OUT

Kuqi

Lovenkrands

Xisco

Campbell

Routledge

Smith

Perch

R. Taylor

LOAN

Ranger

Vuckic

Krul/Forster (Both if we sign another First Team GK)

IN:

1 First Team CB: Brede Hangeland, Gary Cahill, Christopher Samba, Sebastien Bassong, Matthew Upson (Free)

1 First Team AMC: Stephen Ireland, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Jamie O'Hara, Matt Jarvis

2 First Team Wingers: Eljero Elia, Adam Johnson, Gervinho, Jermain Lens, Lee Chung-Yong, Charles N'Zogbia, Tom Cleverley, Sebastian Larsson (Free)

1 First Team Striker: Seydou Doumbia, Kevin Gameiro, Youssef El-Arabi, Daniel Sturridge, Ricky Van Wolfswinkel, Connor Wickham, Johan Elmander (Free)

1 First Team GK?: Guillermo Ochoa (Free)

1 Back Up DMC: Blaise Matuidi

1 Back Up LB: Taye Taiwo, Patrick Van Aanholt, Kieran Gibbs

1 Back Up RB: ??

I hope that instead of signing players for opportunistic reasons (availability, unpopular at their club, out of contract, offered to us, already here on loan *cough*) we've actually taken the time to try and figure out specific signings to fit into a coherent game plan.

For instance Pardew should be figuring out a game plan that can get the best out of Tiote, Nolan, Ben Arfa, Barton, or whoever it is he intends to build a team around, or simply who he feels will still be here.

£35m presents a big opportunity to shape the squad for the next few years and we have to get it right. No panic signings please, and easy signings (such as Larsson or Elmander, for instance) should be for backup players rather than improving the first XI.

For instance, it would make sense to go for Gervinho. From the little i've seen he seems to play almost as a winger. This would be perfect if we wanted to play Ben Arfa on the left - we all know he'd take up something of a free role and drift inside, so someone like Gervinho could drift out and cover that space HBA has vacated, and help bring Enrique into the game - a bit like the Henry, Pires, Cole triumvirate for Arsenal a few years back.

But then you're isolating the other striker, so if you bring in Gervinho and want to take advantage of his movement, you may want a big presence in the middle who doesn't mind holding off a couple of defenders on his own. Of course, if you're not intending to use conventional wingers who put high crosses into the box, you might not want that type of player.

I hope that instead of signing players for opportunistic reasons (availability, unpopular at their club, out of contract, offered to us, already here on loan *cough*) we've actually taken the time to try and figure out specific signings to fit into a coherent game plan.

For instance Pardew should be figuring out a game plan that can get the best out of Tiote, Nolan, Ben Arfa, Barton, or whoever it is he intends to build a team around, or simply who he feels will still be here.

£35m presents a big opportunity to shape the squad for the next few years and we have to get it right. No panic signings please, and easy signings (such as Larsson or Elmander, for instance) should be for backup players rather than improving the first XI.

For instance, it would make sense to go for Gervinho. From the little i've seen he seems to play almost as a winger. This would be perfect if we wanted to play Ben Arfa on the left - we all know he'd take up something of a free role and drift inside, so someone like Gervinho could drift out and cover that space HBA has vacated, and help bring Enrique into the game - a bit like the Henry, Pires, Cole triumvirate for Arsenal a few years back.

But then you're isolating the other striker, so if you bring in Gervinho and want to take advantage of his movement, you may want a big presence in the middle who doesn't mind holding off a couple of defenders on his own. Of course, if you're not intending to use conventional wingers who put high crosses into the box, you might not want that type of player.

:thup: We've got a decent opportunity here, may as well do the thing properly and put ourselves in a strong position for seasons to come.

Guest jeffers09

you forget the 1 assist

in my defence them 9 games ive played id say about 7 has been with a hangover

With Gervinho in, we could attempt the 4-3-3/4-5-1 that Mourinho's Chelsea played. Despite Gervinho and Ben Arfa being different players to Duff and Robben, it would give us a solid midfield but an exciting attack. Just a thought.

Guest Roger Kint

With Gervinho in, we could attempt the 4-3-3/4-5-1 that Mourinho's Chelsea played. Despite Gervinho and Ben Arfa being different players to Duff and Robben, it would give us a solid midfield but an exciting attack. Just a thought.

And we can look forward to losing 2 of our best players for 6 weeks during the ACN. Think one African is enough considering its a rollover the following season.

And we can look forward to losing 2 of our best players for 6 weeks during the ACN. Think one African is enough considering its a rollover the following season.

Which is why we need a decent back up for Tiote. Our record without him is dog shit so I dread 6 weeks without him.

Guest Roger Kint

Which is why we need a decent back up for Tiote. Our record without him is dog s*** so I dread 6 weeks without him.

You think they plan that far ahead? Pardew probably uses hotels that charge by the hour knowing the knackas he works for!

Which is why we need a decent back up for Tiote. Our record without him is dog s*** so I dread 6 weeks without him.

You think they plan that far ahead? Pardew probably uses hotels that charge by the hour knowing the knackas he works for!

Well you would hope so but I take your point. It's bad enough that there's two ACN in a row.

Harper

Simpson  Williamson Colo  Enrique

Barton    Tioté

Payet        Ben Arfa    Gervinho

New ST