Plastic Fans and Pliable Allegiances

Vinny Green Balls

Fucking Steelers.

Anyway, not that I know anyone in the US that has switched allegiances with any sport, but people in the US generally have so many sports/teams to follow (with all the different sports & the whole college sports thing) that I imagine Soccer is so low down on their support index that switching teams isn't inconceivable. Especially if their preferred team is not getting any TV time.

My gfs sister keeps telling me to sack off the Falcons and follow the Eagles. I've tried many times to explain the notion of supporting my team, but she keeps bangin on.

As an aside, I suppose that it is good for the NFL that two teams with fiercely loyal fan bases are in the Superbowl.  Although in truth my interest has waned ever since the Oilers became the Tennessee Titans.  Not that I liked the Oilers.  In fact, I hate every Texas team.  But the very possibility of an Oilers-Packers Superbowl was too fantastic, specifically because my loyalty to comedy trumps everything else.

We'll go through bad times and we'll have good times, we should be thankful we didn't have to deal with what Leeds fans have in recent years, they are as big a club as us.  I'll support the club no matter what happens.

Living in Leeds and growing up in Newcastle allows me to say this is bullshit

why? :lol:

One thing that bothers me.  I can't stand when people say that they are the best fans, the most loyal, etc.  Fuck it.  I won't deign to speak for anybody else.  My love affair with this club is my own personal battle, and I won't pretend to know what other fans are going through.

Saying that you're a better fan is just petty self-congratulation.  It's fucking pointless.  So I'd never go that far.  I do believe, as I said earlier, that I have a bit more context than a "plastic fan", so the highs probably mean that much more to me

Fans of Man U or Chelsea, or the NY Yankees or LA Lakers, who have never know anything but first or second place etc  will never truely know what it's like to really support a team.

You have to experience the lows to truely comprehend how high the highs are.  I know that if/when Newcastle are Premier League Champions then I will celebrate the achievement across many more levels than Man U or Chelsea will the next time they win it all.

To be fair I know about half a dozen Chelsea supporters and all of them have been supporting them for years.My next door neighbour used to be a season ticket holder there,but stopped when Roman bought it because he didn't agree with the blanket buying of success.Manchester United and Liverpool are the pld school glory hunting twats tbh.

Well said, my man.

This whole newcastle united thing has troubled me off and on for years. Seriously.

I wanted to be a man united fan when i was a kid, told my day, he took it as though i'd told him him i was gay, so he bought me a black and white shirt. We started going to games and the rest is history.

Only now i'm approaching the point where pretty soon i'm gonna have to make that decision for my child, when he / she arrives. We don't live in the toon so it's not nailed on. Most local kids "support" man united, but there's a big celtic support too. Many of my family are celtic supporters, as is the wife, and they win stuff most seasons. Surely that would be the best route to send my kid.

But then i think, would i have changed anything? The away games i've been to, travelling miles sometimes through the snow, despite expecting the lads to get humped. And on the occasion they pull a result out the bag it's the best feeling in the world. Do man united fans feel as good as that when drinking cups of tea on the way home. on their nice clean 52 seat coach? I'm fairly sure they don't.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

In Baltimore, there are all these new Citeh nonce fans who come into the pub with their pristine Yaya Toure and Tevez kits.  They know fuckall about that club, just got into them in the last couple years.  I could even tell you about Baltimore Manure fans who don't seem to know the laws of the game.

Even with all the pain and bullshit since SBR left (hmm I started supporting NUFC around 2001, owing this to who else, Big Al.), seeing those mercenary fuckwit muppets further reminds me of what has always been true about my feelings about NUFC:

I love this club and city and will support them through and through.  f*** all the rest!

Fans of Man U or Chelsea, or the NY Yankees or LA Lakers, who have never know anything but first or second place etc  will never truely know what it's like to really support a team.

You have to experience the lows to truely comprehend how high the highs are.  I know that if/when Newcastle are Premier League Champions then I will celebrate the achievement across many more levels than Man U or Chelsea will the next time they win it all.

To be fair I know about half a dozen Chelsea supporters and all of them have been supporting them for years.My next door neighbour used to be a season ticket holder there,but stopped when Roman bought it because he didn't agree with the blanket buying of success.Manchester United and Liverpool are the pld school glory hunting twats tbh.

I'm from near nuneaton billy loads of em there. disgusting. That said few toon supporters about because of mining and that too.

Well said, my man.

This whole newcastle united thing has troubled me off and on for years. Seriously.

I wanted to be a man united fan when i was a kid, told my day, he took it as though i'd told him him i was gay, so he bought me a black and white shirt. We started going to games and the rest is history.

Only now i'm approaching the point where pretty soon i'm gonna have to make that decision for my child, when he / she arrives. We don't live in the toon so it's not nailed on. Most local kids "support" man united, but there's a big celtic support too. Many of my family are celtic supporters, as is the wife, and they win stuff most seasons. Surely that would be the best route to send my kid.

But then i think, would i have changed anything? The away games i've been to, travelling miles sometimes through the snow, despite expecting the lads to get humped. And on the occasion they pull a result out the bag it's the best feeling in the world. Do man united fans feel as good as that when drinking cups of tea on the way home. on their nice clean 52 seat coach? I'm fairly sure they don't.

Can't think of many things worse than having to watch the SPL all your life like. :undecided:

be an Earthquakes fan in the MLS, and before that in the NASL.

I spent 9 fucking years going to games at Spartan Stadium when there were 6,000 of us, and when the Clash/Earthquakes were absolute dross in a shit league.  Then we got good, we played exciting shit, we got a good manager in Frank Yallop, then a  fantastic manager in Dominic Kinnear, and we move to fucking Houston.

Then they bring the team back after I fuck off to Los Angeles, and although I still support them, the magic of 2001-2005 completely gone.

I'm from near nuneaton billy loads of em there. disgusting. That said few toon supporters about because of mining and that too.

Whereabouts mate?I'm pretty close to you by the sounds.

Agreed that there are a few of the old guard who remember Ken Bates or Ron Atkinson but probably not that many.  Besides, how many even remember when their was even something called the First Division...didn't football start in 92? (and I don;t mean 1892 either)

Well said, my man.

I don't think they've necessarily got nicer buses than us mate :lol:

Whereabouts mate?I'm pretty close to you by the sounds.

Atherstone upon tyne...I always have to default to Cov though because nee bugger has heard of it. Full of placker mancs. There's a Cov city bus that pulls up on a saturday and no-one gets on it whilst the pub nearest is full of red shirts of the worst kinds. horrid.

Is it not just an American thing ?

Here most of us bear the burden of our club from cradle to grave. In the US fans switch allegiance just because they like some player or coach.

I just know life would have been a lot easier if my father had been a Man U fan.

In the US, it really depends.  Take baseball fans in Boston or and their eternal struggle against the Yankees. Sure, the Yankees have won something crazy like 27 world series compared to Boston's one championship. But I wonder who celebrated more - I'm thinking the BoSox for overturning "the curse".

I don't think you can compare fans of teams from sports from other countries.  I think American's supporting english teams is about as fickle as Brits picking an NFL team to follow. Very few pick Bolton or Blackburn, and equally very few pick Cleveland or Cincinati.

One cup, just one measly cup is all I am asking. God willing, I should have at least another 50 years on this Earth but I honestly fear that I will go to my grave without seeing Newcastle lift a major trophy. With the way the club is continuously run by owner after owner, year after year I just cannot see us ever doing it!  :lol: It sounds ridiculous when you think about it but I could quite easily see us going another 50 years without winning a single thing. Our club is like a 40 year old virgin who just cannot manage to stick his cock in the hole. Now THAT is depressing.  :sigh:  :lol:

Sorry to all you foreign folks (Not Mike) for choosing this club but thanks anyways. :hello: 

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

In the US, it really depends.  Take baseball fans in Boston or and their eternal struggle against the Yankees. Sure, the Yankees have won something crazy like 27 world series compared to Boston's one championship. But I wonder who celebrated more - I'm thinking the BoSox for overturning "the curse".

I don't think you can compare fans of teams from sports from other countries.  I think American's supporting english teams is about as fickle as Brits picking an NFL team to follow. Very few pick Bolton or Blackburn, and equally very few pick Cleveland or Cincinati.

Please don't talk about the Boston Red Sox!  They are owned by the same prats that own Liverpool.  As a Baltimore Orioles fan and an NUFC fan, I've got enough reason to drive up there tonight and piss on their ramshackel dogshit stadium.  I've been thinking about doing it a lot in the last 36 hours.

Followed the Aint's since my sister moved over there 10 years ago, got my reward last year, never been to a game but I do wear the colours with pride, great city & great people they know how too party. just like us...

Please don't talk about the Boston Red Sox!  They are owned by the same prats that own Liverpool.  As a Baltimore Orioles fan and an NUFC fan, I've got enough reason to drive up there tonight and piss on their ramshackel dogshit stadium.  I've been thinking about doing it a lot in the last 36 hours.

LOL (forgot about that connection)

We'll go through bad times and we'll have good times, we should be thankful we didn't have to deal with what Leeds fans have in recent years, they are as big a club as us.  I'll support the club no matter what happens.

Living in Leeds and growing up in Newcastle allows me to say this is bullshit

why? :lol:

Moaning yoyo fans, terrible stadium, dying city, and they all prefer rugby league.

I remember one of my first months in the USA, watching NBA Bulls-Lakers (Bulls getting fucking hammered) with some locals.

Me: *expletives after yet another shit play by the Bulls*

Yank: Hey, why are you getting so worked up?

Me: Man, when I was a kid Michael Jordan was the fucking king of the world, Bulls are my NBA team and always will be.

Yank: Here it doesn't work that way, just support somebody who isn't shit.