Happy Birthday...

Guest Tall Striker

Guest Tall Striker

... To my favourite ever Toon player, Rob Lee.

Certainly the best value for money player I've seen at United.

:booze:

Guest firetotheworks

Times like these cement my love for players like him. I remember in the '90s my dad saying that players weren't loyal enough. We could do with all of their loyalty now.

Best midfielder in England for a good three seasons if you ask me. Never got the recognition he deserved, outside of NUFC people of course. A true club legend.

21 England caps say otherwise.

Best midfielder in England for a good three seasons if you ask me. Never got the recognition he deserved, outside of NUFC people of course. A true club legend.

A criminally low amount for such a talented player.

Batty got 42 and was inferior in every way. Neil Webb, Kieron Dyer, Nicky Butt, Gareth Barry, Phil Neville and SWP all have more. I rest my case.

Batty got 42 and was inferior in every way. Neil Webb, Kieron Dyer, Nicky Butt, Gareth Barry, Phil Neville and SWP all have more. I rest my case.

Batty was a better defensive midfielder than Lee,and every other holding midfielder in England ,hence 42 caps.

Lee was behind Platt, Gazza and then Scholes: just unfortunate timing I guess. All those players mentioned were from a different era so irrelevant and Batty played a different role so again irrelevant. Also Butt was on the whole a solid performer for England and before he came to us a genuinely good player.

Anyways I shall not derail - HBRL, I will always remember when you signed an autograph for me at Durham CCC game. Whether I still have it is another question.

Batty was a class holding midfielder. Which was the role Lee only started playing when his legs went later on in his career.

Batty was the ultimate one dimensional player. Limited in ability and got by purely because he was 'terrier like' and fierce in the tackle. Lee had everything, was the complete central midfielder. Went box to box, tackled, scored, created and inspired.

There is just no comparison. Batty should have been nowhere near an england team that had Paul Ince to do that job. He never impressed me when he played for us. He was nothing special.

Batty was the ultimate one dimensional player. Limited in ability and got by purely because he was 'terrier like' and fierce in the tackle. Lee had everything, was the complete central midfielder. Went box to box, tackled, scored, created and inspired.

There is just no comparison. Batty should have been nowhere near an england team that had Paul Ince to do that job. He never impressed me when he played for us. He was nothing special.

He was essentially Ince's understudy though and that comment I will respectfully disagree.

Disco man, every team in the Premier League now has a player doing the same job that Batty did and many of them are technically more gifted aswell. He did a job, but in terms of being anything more than ordinary, I'm afraid he was not.

Disco man, every team in the Premier League now has a player doing the same job that Batty did and many of them are technically more gifted aswell. He did a job, but in terms of being anything more than ordinary, I'm afraid he was not.

I will respectfully disagree but I'll interpret that as Batty inspiring the next generation of defensive midfielders, before his time he was.

Ince was more than just a holding player, man.Batty was a modern day Nobby Stiles,won the ball and knocked the ball 10 yards to a more creative player...was superb at it.

Guest firetotheworks

It's utterly bizarre how little I remember of Batty. I think I'd been spoiled with a creative midfield of Beardsley and Lee, that my young attacking minded mind thought that Batty was a downgrade. I'd love to get my hands on some full matches of him playing for us, while we were still good.