Honesty

Jaehyun

ALBERT LUQUE last night gave a damning insight into the cash-crazy reign of Freddy Shepherd which nearly destroyed Newcastle.

New chairman Chris Mort has already blasted Shepherd for leaving the Toon in a state of financial ruin before Mike Ashley’s millions rescued the club.

Mort, who took over in July, insisted last week the club were “close to folding like a pack of cards” before reclusive billionaire Ashley took centre stage.

And now super-flop Luque has shown just why.

The Spanish striker revealed his pure astonishment after plucking a monumental wage demand out of thin air — and hearing Shepherd say ‘Yes’ with no hesitation.

Luque, who pocketed around £85,000 a week, admits he just joined for the money in 2005 and left for Ajax in the summer simply appalled at the way Shepherd ran Newcastle.

He said: “No one could understand why I joined Newcastle but I got an offer I couldn’t refuse.

“I had a meeting with the chairman Freddy Shepherd and he asked me what I wanted to earn.

“So I said an absurd, completely ridiculous amount and he immediately said it was OK.

“The next day he spoke with Augusto Lendoiro, the chairman of Deportivo La Coruna, and in that meeting it was exactly the same.

“He asked what the price was and Lendoiro said 15million euro and the deal was done.

“In both cases, Shepherd didn’t even negotiate.

“Twice, he said ‘Yes’ and in 24 hours my whole life changed dramatically.

“It was bizarre. I was going to earn a gigantic amount of money at a club I had never followed in a city I didn’t know.

“From all the players at Newcastle, I had never heard of them — and I hardly spoke any English.”

The Spain international endured a nightmare spell on Tyneside after being signed by former Magpies chief Graeme Souness for a whopping £9.5m two years ago.

He left for Holland before the transfer window slammed shut for around £1.5m, joining the likes of Jean-Alain Boumsong and Marcelino as the biggest wastes of money during Shepherd’s rollercoaster 10-year reign.

Luque, 29, made just SIX Premier League starts in TWO years and hated working with former Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder.

In his time at St James’ Park, he scored just three goals in all competitions — while earning the best part of £9MILLION.

Luque has already hit two for Ajax to help them go top of the Dutch League.

He added: “It is a wonder I held out that long. In that period I was often asked about returning to Spanish clubs but being perfectly honest nobody could match my contract.

“I earned so much at Newcastle and you don’t let that go so easily.

“But this summer I told myself that money wasn’t everything and isn’t important. So I’ve chosen for life and for football and to feel like a player again.

“In between, Newcastle have a new chairman and I told him that for me he could keep his money as long as I can go.

“For the club it’s good that Shepherd and Roeder are gone.

“I still had a contract for three seasons so I’ve lost a tremendous amount of money.

“But that doesn’t interest me one bit right now. I was fed up living like a tourist in England. I just left for Amsterdam and didn’t want to stay one day longer in Newcastle. It was an awful time and that’s why I’m glad of the challenge that’s awaiting me.

“I am happy now. With my wife we’re living in the middle of Amsterdam and that’s in contrast with a village outside Newcastle.

“In the morning when I open the curtains I see people while, in Newcastle, it was only trees.

“My father is so proud that I’m now playing for the club where his hero Johan Cruyff became a star. Ajax is a choice for my life.”

Joey Barton is another player who has hardly set Newcastle alight — but not through choice.

Barton quit Manchester City for Tyneside in the summer but has been out with a broken left foot.

The £5.8m midfielder played for Toon’s reserves against City this week — his first game since suffering the injury in July.

And he insists he deserves some of the credit for City’s amazing revival under Sven Goran Eriksson.

He said: “I hope they appreciate the job I did last season.

“Were it not for myself, Micah Richards and Richard Dunne they wouldn’t have had Thaksin Shinawatra, the Premier League and Sven Goran Eriksson. They could easily have gone down last season but for a couple of results.”

Eriksson has led City to third in the Premier League, thanks partly to the millions of new owner Shinawatra.

But Barton, 25, insists he has no regrets about joining Toon.

He said: “Hopefully, we’ll get the kind of investment they got at City and get a similar result.

“Newcastle can be as big as they want to be. No disrespect to City but, in Manchester, Manchester United will always be top dog.

“As much as City want to believe it, it is not going to be.

“The big thing about Newcastle is there is only Newcastle.

“Newcastle could be a big side and turn it from a big four into a big five.”

What do you prefer? Luque's honesty or Carroll keeping face?

ha ha ha, from Luque's Wiki page

Following Newcastle United's inability to bring in a striker before the close of the transfer window after the sale of Andy Carroll, rumours have begun circulating that Luque may be making a shock return to Tyneside. Which in reality will never happen. Mike Ashley has more chance shagging Cheryl Cole.

ha ha ha, from Luque's Wiki page

Following Newcastle United's inability to bring in a striker before the close of the transfer window after the sale of Andy Carroll, rumours have begun circulating that Luque may be making a shock return to Tyneside. Which in reality will never happen. Mike Ashley has more chance shagging Cheryl Cole.

:lol:

Bit of bullshit from Luque as the deal took  quite a while to complete. It was defitnaly not a case of " “The next day he spoke with Augusto Lendoiro, the chairman of Deportivo La Coruna, and in that meeting it was exactly the same.

“He asked what the price was and Lendoiro said 15million euro and the deal was done."

Says a lot about his level (or lack) of professionalism and our reputation at that time.

Despite being complete skinflints I am completely confident no-one will be coming here under the impression they are getting stupid wages, if they do they certainly wont be getting them.

As for Luque's comments its easy for him to come out and blast the club when he has no intentions of ever returning to England or Newcastle. AC obviously has self preservation and in ideal circumstances wouldn't have left. I am disappointed by his lack of honesty but unfortunately that is a part of modern day life.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Freddy Sheppard once offered me £10 for my Fish & Chips. Not really, but I can imagine he would do that kind of thing.

Guest Heneage

85000 a week :lol:

Given the pound was way stronger back then that's probably more than we were paying Ronaldinho at the time :lol:

The story going was. (This comes form someone close to Babayaro)

Him and his agent turned up for talks, prior to the meeting him and his agent were discussing possible figures and Luque said he'd be quite happy for between 25-30k a week. They went into the room sat down and his agent demanded 75k Luque was flabbergasted when Shepherd said yes and signed the deal.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Freddy Sheppard once offered me £10 for my Fish & Chips. Not really, but I can imagine he would do that kind of thing.

pah only 10? hes gone all ashley like

Ashley would offer you a Sports Direct plastic fork, and leave you wondering what the hell you can use it on now that he has your Fish & Chips.

Given the pound was way stronger back then that's probably more than we were paying Ronaldinho at the time :lol:

Him and his agent turned up for talks, prior to the meeting him and his agent were discussing possible figures and Luque said he'd be quite happy for between 25-30k a week. They went into the room sat down and his agent demanded 75k Luque was flabbergasted when Shepherd said yes and signed the deal.

Sounds similar to the story about Risdale at Leeds.

heard similar to that from various sources.

Honestly though, Luque was surely on a bag of peanuts at Depor (hardly a rich club), didn't your chairman bother to research how much he was on? He probably quadrupled his wages.

this is freddie we're talking about here, assuming he does research is giving waaaaaaaay too much credit

Sounds similar to the story about Risdale at Leeds.

Seth Johnson.

As opposed to the OP?

Guest Heneage

No surprise, the mate of mine who knew Babayaro said Luque was a really nice guy quite down to earth, very much joined us because 'the offer was too good to turn down'.

As opposed to the OP?

:lol:

ITK

No surprise, the mate of mine who knew Babayaro said Luque was a really nice guy quite down to earth, very much joined us because 'the offer was too good to turn down'.

:lol: :lol: :lol: