Leon Best

Godot

Been thinking about leon today, i think the best case scenario us as a club could do is send this guy on a half year loan to a championship club. In the summer sign a young striker with potential and get him to sit on the bench (or just use sammy). That would give us the best balance for when demba and papis go to the ACON as hopefully leon would have found some form and would be able to slot straight in and do the business. I know we have alot more games next season however i believe we will be using a 1 striker formation in europe.

Guest NufcBano

I dont see the need in getting rid of Besty. How much wud we get anyway? £2mil. May as well keep him.

...plus if Demba decides to cash in.....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news//tm_headline=leon-best-offered-excellent-package-by-blackburn%26method=full%26objectid=31243656%26siteid=72703-name_page.html

Leon Best offered excellent package by Blackburn

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Jun 23 2012

LEON BEST has been made an offer he may find hard to turn down by Blackburn Rovers.

Sources in Lancashire have indicated to the Chronicle that Best has been offered an excellent package that could be enough to persuade him to drop down to the Championship, with Steve Kean’s side looking for promotion at the first attempt.

It is believed that Best’s pay offer at Blackburn will rise if he hits the heights next season and helps them back to the top flight with a string of personal incentives included in his contract.

Best, who has also attracted interest from Celtic, has slipped down the pecking order at St James’ Park and could find himself SIXTH choice at Newcastle with Papiss Cisse, Demba Ba, Shola Ameobi, Sammy Ameobi and the strong possibility of new faces leaving him with a tough future on Tyneside.

Despite reports that Blackburn bid £2million for Best, it is believed that Rovers have offered an extra £1million on top of that figure for the Republic of Ireland striker – and the fee will rise again should Kean’s side clinch promotion back to the Premier League.

United are keen to offload several players this term to freshen up their squad and while Best has enjoyed some good times since joining from Coventry City in 2010, injuries and the emergence of Cisse and Ba last term hardly helped his cause at St James’.

However, Kean will offer Best a place in his frontline and the chance to rejuvenate his international career.

Kean has already lost Nigerian star Yakubu to Chinese club Guangzhou and is desperate to add firepower to his relegated Rovers.[/Quote]

If this story is true I couldn't see NUFC turning down £3m for Best, especially when he cost us £2m and is now in the last year of his contract.

Would say he was third choice tbh, although as a sub Shola put in some good performances last season. Would definitely start Best over Shola but not sure who I would bring off the bench.

Think it's too early for Sammy to be relied on in any role other than impact sub (ie wouldn't be confident if he had to come in for an extended period). He could do with a loan tbh.

I'd like to see us bring someone in before selling Best, even if it's just a promising younger player. Shola isn't good enough to start games so without Ba or Cisse (or both during the ACoN) we've got very little in reserve. Considering he doesn't seem to have kicked up much fuss when he's not playing I'd sooner just keep Best tbh. He's a Williamson type player.

Guest neesy111

Best isn't good enough for 3rd choice next season.  I'd snap off blackburn's hand for any deal tbh

Guest neesy111

Best isn't good enough for 3rd choice next season.  I'd snap off blackburn's hand for any deal tbh

I'd wait till we had someone better first.

Shola's better than him tbh.

I'd wait till we had someone better first.

Shola's better than him tbh.

Shola can only play for a half though.

I'll not lose any sleep over Best leaving providing he's replaced effectively, lad needs first team football and he's never going to get that here anymore. Arguably we need another striker to come in regardless so he better be at least replaced.

Wouldn't worry about that. If we sell Best, we'll buy a new striker in time.

We saw with the attempts to bring in a centre-half in January that if the deal isn't right we're content to just go without, even if we're talking a three or four million pound backup. Best is already that player and already here. If we definitely get someone better then I've no problem with selling him.

Would say he was third choice tbh, although as a sub Shola put in some good performances last season. Would definitely start Best over Shola but not sure who I would bring off the bench.

Think it's too early for Sammy to be relied on in any role other than impact sub (ie wouldn't be confident if he had to come in for an extended period). He could do with a loan tbh.

I'd agree. I'd have Best ahead of Shola to start a game. For me Shola is now a super sub. Getting £3m for Best would be good but we'd have to replace him with someone who's an improvement. Lovenkrands is gone, NUFC are looking to sell Best and Ranger (and Xisco but he hardly counts). We'll be low on strikers unless we get replacements (e.g. de Jong). If we play 4-3-3 it could be argued that we could play with one out and out striker.

Best's injury record is pretty bad over last 2 seasons as well.

No one is disputing that it's not worth upgrading on him, but just to wait till we have an upgrade till we move him on given how strict we are in negotiating transfers.

We know Ashley would rather cash in on Best for £3m now and worry about securing a replacement later. He won't risk losing him for nothing at the end of this coming season. I certainly can't see Best getting offered a new contract at NUFC. Best himself may not even want a contract extension being that he's way down the pecking order.

Guest neesy111

We know Ashley would rather cash in on Best for £3m now and worry about securing a replacement later. He won't risk losing him for nothing at the end of this coming season. I certainly can't see Best getting offered a new contract at NUFC.

Pardew inset too keen on him IMO as well.