Leon Best

Godot

im still a fan of Best,  maybe its just me but don't think he had a bad game yet apart from vs bolton.

yes he hasnt scored but he so good at making that ball stick.  think he change alot of peoples minds when Ba leaves for ACON, 

having someone like  Barfa behind Best will bring the best out of both of them i beleive.

keep the faith,  hope we dont start booing him like we do to obertan,  pointless.

How do you think Best did against Swansea and West Brom?

im still a fan of Best,  maybe its just me but don't think he had a bad game yet apart from vs bolton.

yes he hasnt scored but he so good at making that ball stick.  think he change alot of peoples minds when Ba leaves for ACON, 

having someone like  Barfa behind Best will bring the best out of both of them i beleive.

keep the faith,  hope we dont start booing him like we do to obertan,  pointless.

I agree with that. Look forward to seeing Ben Arfa and Best when Ba eventually leaves for the ACoN. People seemed to have turned on him very quickly.

I agree with that. Look forward to seeing Ben Arfa and Best when Ba eventually leaves for the ACoN. People seemed to have turned on him very quickly.

You agree with somebody saying his only bad game was against Bolton.  :lol:

Think HBA has something to do with this, when Obertan wasn't producing then he was the scapegoat for HBA not being in the team, now Obertan has produced and HBA has scored 'up front' it's Best's turn to be the scapegoat.

He's not an amazing player but as someone said earlier, we're going to need him and Shola when Ba is missing - don't see much benefit in slagging him off.

You agree with somebody saying his only bad game was against Bolton.  :lol:

I agree with the sentiment he hasn't been as terrible as has been made out by some of the jackals on here, yes :lol: He's in a bad run of form, there's no question about that, but starting next to Ba and having HBA benched has, I suspect, prompted some to get on his back more than they otherwise would.

Objectively, he's been bad lately, but he isn't bad at all. His goal record at the club is still very competent. He still has all the attributes and components necessary to succeed and be in and around our first team squad (an eye for goal, strength, skill, hold-up play). He isn't getting the benefit of the doubt other more popular players in the team would to turn it around. FWIW though, yeah, I would have played Ben Arfa ahead of him in the last few games (as I've attested to previously).

Also, Ba has (in part) been helped in shining so brightly this season because of the largely unsung work of Leon Best. He's a fantastic player independently of Best of course, but Best has been a very unselfish team striker this season. The kind of striker that never gets the plaudits they deserve. (Not the last couple games, obviously!)

Edit: Sorry to keep modifying my posts, but I don't think it's coincidence Best's play has deteriorated at the same time as Pardew's reversion to long-ball tactics. He's a beast in the air, but he has more value to the team than is being used. Point to his game against Blackburn as an example of this. Ba got the hattrick, but Best was fantastic on the deck.

Guest kingdawson

Well i specifically remember him being shite against us tbf.

Would I be incorrect in saying Best stopped scoring around the same time Ba started (and can't stop)?

I am surprised at how a few have turned on him though so quickly. saw someone on Toontastic saying he isn't even a decent championship player :lol:

Would I be incorrect in saying Best stopped scoring around the same time Ba started (and can't stop)?

I am surprised at how a few have turned on him though so quickly. saw someone on Toontastic saying he isn't even a decent championship player :lol:

You would not be incorrect. Such a shame he didn't get a goal or two when he was playing well. Oh well.

For Liverpool, I'd rest him. I'd like to see us line up with something a little bit more difficult to defend against with more moving parts and unpredictability.

Cabaye      Tiote      Jonas

Ben Arfa        Vuckic

Ba

Off the ball, defensive responsibility would have to revert something more conventional though.

[/cloud cuckoo land]

Best has scored in 2 games this season, he's scored in 6 Premiership games in total for us.

Just think he thrived a little as the 'main man', like when Carroll left.

I don't think he is a bad player at all, just not outstanding and will never consistently put in brilliant performances. More than good enough for the squad but we do need one more striker in January which I don't think we will get.

He's a lot like Shola imo (but a bit better due to being more hard working) overall he's completely average but he does add something to the team on his day hence quite a lot of debate over whether he's any good or not. He's never gonna be the answer like, we should have another striker keeping him out of the team but that's a different thread.

I'm not sure I'd ever start him ahead of Ben Arfa but that might say more about the sort of football i like watching than anything else.

Just think he thrived a little as the 'main man', like when Carroll left.

I don't think he is a bad player at all, just not outstanding and will never consistently put in brilliant performances. More than good enough for the squad but we do need one more striker in January which I don't think we will get.

Think there's something in this actually. When Carroll left (or when he got injured in January), Best more than stepped up to the plate, scoring a hat trick against West Ham and then going on a canny goalscoring run until he unfortunately got injured.

At the start of this season, Ba didn't have the best of starts and consequently Best was still the "main man" and so we relied on him to score the goals which he did.

So using this theory, I wonder what will happen when Ba sets off for the ACoN..........will Best suddenly hit top form? (would be very nice if he did like) Hmmm.

Guest Howaythetoon

He needs a goal, and is clearly a confidence player. Next pen that comes along for us providing he is on the pitch and hasn't scored, I'd maybe give him it as he looks desperate for a goal and is snatching at shots and trying to smash the ball goalwards whenever he can. I quite like him though, he's a decent all-rounder without being outstanding at anything and he seems a good guy on and off the pitch too. He's the best bet if you like with Ba up front if we are going to play two up top.

You would not be incorrect. Such a shame he didn't get a goal or two when he was playing well. Oh well.

For Liverpool, I'd rest him. I'd like to see us line up with something a little bit more difficult to defend against with more moving parts and unpredictability.

Ben Arfa        Vuckic

Ba

Off the ball, defensive responsibility would have to revert something more conventional though.

[/cloud cuckoo land]

Would love to see this tried sometime, I think both Cabaye and Jonas would do admirably covering the full backs and channels when we're not in possession. When we are in possession it has so much potential, (on paper).

How do you think Best did against Swansea and West Brom?

he was excellent vs swansea, got subbed as he clearly wasnt fully fit,  He also had a good game vs brom first half, faded quickly in the second half, lack of fitness and got subbed

lets not forget he's been out for a while, these footballers are athletes, not cyborgs.

I like them both, think they both do a decent/good job when needed. Neither would be first choice in the long term though, just reliable back up.

yeah fair do's. i've got more faith in Williamson though

Both are average Premier League players with limitations.

Guest optimistic nit

Ben Arfa        Vuckic

Ba

[/cloud cuckoo land]

giving vuckic his second start away to liverpool would be madness.