FA Cup revamp

Stifler

The FA are wanting to make changes to the FA Cup for the season beginning 2013. Here is a list of changes.

Early rounds will be seeded, not sure if it will just be up until the 3rd round or the 4th round.

There will be no replays, all drawn games will go to extra time and then penalties.

The final will KO at either 5:15pm or 5:30pm

The winners will qualify for the Champions League (taking the 4th place) and the runners up could possibly qualify for the Europa League.

Also rumoured is a Premier League type squad list so no club play a weak team against lesser teams then a stronger team once the seeding has gone.  

The FA are wanting to make changes to the FA Cup for the season beginning 2013. Here is a list of changes.

Early rounds will be seeded, not sure if it will just be up until the 3rd round of the 4th round. :thdn: x 100bn if its seeded in favour of top teams.

There will be no replays, all drawn games will go to extra time and then penalties. :thup:

The final will KO at either 5:15pm or 5:30pm :thdn:

The winners will qualify for the Champions League 9taking the 4th place) and the runners up could possibly qualify for the Europa League. :thup:

Also rumoured is a Premier League type squad list so no club play a weak team against lesser teams then a stronger team once the seeding has gone. :thup:  

THE 2013 FA Cup Final will kick off at 5.30pm as part of the biggest overhaul in the competition’s 140-year history.

The FA’s top brass are set to bow to pressure from television chiefs and beam the Wembley showpiece to a global audience at teatime.

The FA will finally cave in to rights-holding broadcasters who have long advocated a 5.30pm kick-off as the prime-time for a maximum audience.

Until now, bosses have resisted attempts to move the competition in line with Premier League teatime kick-offs on the basis of tradition.

But senior officials recognise the need for change to achieve maximum exposure and keep broadcasters and sponsors happy.

The move will be a major blow to traditionalists who view the famous competition as the last bastion of the game’s heritage in England.

But FA chiefs believe that they must implement a radical revamp, with the competition’s future threatened by falling TV audiences and dwindling interest from fans and sponsors.

Switching the kick-off from 3pm is the main plank of a series of changes the FA hope will improve the Cup’s profile and secure its future.

A think-tank has said a fresh look is needed to boost attendances, attract a younger audience and raise the tournament’s profile.

Plans include seeding big clubs so they are not drawn against each other early on.

The review comes against the backdrop of a desperate search for a new sponsor.

E.ON agreed an £8million extension for this season, having earlier called time on their four-year deal, but are not expected to renew again,

An FA source said last night: “We’ve been concerned for some time at falling attendances and waning interest in the FA Cup, and the need to make the changes necessary to ensure the competition retains its unique position.

“Hopefully, the ideas we have will ensure the FA Cup has a strong profile and appeals to a wide fan base.”

Absolute fucking madness IMO.

The kick off thing just makes it a massive inconvenience to anyone not living in London as they're more than likely going to have to stay over or get a coach rather than the train. Idiots, once again thinking of their pocket rather than the fan.

The CL place for the winner seems to be Liverpool's fail safe now. The only negative thing about those plans apart from the KO off time is the fact that the bigger clubs will just list their strongest teams which will just make it even harder to knock them out as they won't be able to go into some games thinking they can win it with their reserves. Also the seeding will lose it's novelty after a few season, seems quite shit how Man Utd won't be able to knock out Liverpool in the 3rd round.

Early rounds will be seeded, not sure if it will just be up until the 3rd round of the 4th round. :thdn: x 100bn if its seeded in favour of top teams.

:lol: What other way would seeding be? :lol:

No to the seeding for me, but the rest are good, it's always been that teams supposedly have as much chance of drawing Liverpool away and Accrington Stanley at home, can't leave that...

The dominance of the big clubs winning the cup has made the competition predictable and stale. I certainly don't think it's got the same feel about it these days.

There's absolutely nothing really interesting seeing Chelsea/ Man Utd in the final 9 out of 10 years.

No to the seeding for me, but the rest are good, it's always been that teams supposedly have as much chance of drawing Liverpool away and Accrington Stanley at home, can't leave that...

Clubs from league below when drawn against a Prem team automatically play at home like I think they do in the French Cup.

Clubs from league below when drawn against a Prem team automatically play at home like I think they do in the French Cup.

Either way it favours the top teams.

We have seedings in our Norwegian cup for the first three rounds (even one step worse with it being geographical seeding), it's absolute horseshit and we never get any fairy tale cup runs from real minnows. No top division teams play at home for those three rounds either, though, which is good.

How'd you work that out? Surely playing at home would make the lower league team more likely to win?

How'd you work that out? Surely playing at home would make the lower league team more likely to win?

It eliminates the possibility of Man Utd drawing Chelsea or Arsenal or whatever...

The thing is, that would be shit. Part of being in the cup for them is getting to play at the likes of SJP, OT, and Anfield. Having to play one or two home games against a bigger team before you get that chance is shit.

It eliminates the possibility of Man Utd drawing Chelsea or Arsenal or whatever...

No it doesn't. I'd still have an open draw just with that rule if that situation arose.