FA Cup revamp

Stifler

The FA are wanting to make changes to the FA Cup for the season beginning 2013. Here is a list of changes.

Early rounds will be seeded, not sure if it will just be up until the 3rd round of the 4th round. :thdn: x 100bn if its seeded in favour of top teams.

:lol: What other way would seeding be? :lol:

No to the seeding for me, but the rest are good, it's always been that teams supposedly have as much chance of drawing Liverpool away and Accrington Stanley at home, can't leave that...

Clubs from league below when drawn against a Prem team automatically play at home like I think they do in the French Cup.

Either way it favours the top teams.

How'd you work that out? Surely playing at home would make the lower league team more likely to win?

It eliminates the possibility of Man Utd drawing Chelsea or Arsenal or whatever...

No it doesn't. I'd still have an open draw just with that rule if that situation arose.

That's not seeding though and it's clearly not what is planned here.

Guest Brummiemag

Changing the kick off time, no replays and seeding all further devalue a great competition 

However a potential Champions League place for the winner could transform the competition  - it could be boost the competition needs because something needs to be done to stop clubs including Newcastle from fielding weakened teams

So overall I would support the changes solely because more teams will take the competition seriously

The FA are wanting to make changes to the FA Cup for the season beginning 2013. Here is a list of changes.

Early rounds will be seeded, not sure if it will just be up until the 3rd round of the 4th round. :thdn: x 100bn if its seeded in favour of top teams.

:lol: What other way would seeding be? :lol:

No to the seeding for me, but the rest are good, it's always been that teams supposedly have as much chance of drawing Liverpool away and Accrington Stanley at home, can't leave that...

Clubs from league below when drawn against a Prem team automatically play at home like I think they do in the French Cup.

Either way it favours the top teams.

How'd you work that out? Surely playing at home would make the lower league team more likely to win?

It eliminates the possibility of Man Utd drawing Chelsea or Arsenal or whatever...

No it doesn't. I'd still have an open draw just with that rule if that situation arose.

That's not seeding though and it's clearly not what is planned here.

I know its just a change I would look at making if changes are what they want to do.

The cup is fine imo it has been cracking this year apart from our downfall. Not keen on games going to a shootout after 1 game though, rather have extra time with  teams having to reduce the number of players they ended the 90 with by 3.

Would like the cup to go back to one broadcaster as games dotted around on various tv stations & various times is just shite.

Changing the kick off time, no replays and seeding all further devalue a great competition 

However a potential Champions League place for the winner could transform the competition  - it could be boost the competition needs because something needs to be done to stop clubs including Newcastle from fielding weakened teams

So overall I would support the changes solely because more teams will take the competition seriously

How will taking away the replays and changing KO time devalue the competition? ???

Am I the only one that thinks the kick off time change would be canny? Atmosphere is generally better when it's a late kick off in football and gives people more time to enjoy their day/have a few pints/soak up the atmosphere.

Doesn't need changing.  ???

Don't like the idea of seeding PL teams, they already get a bye until the 3rd round so why make it even easier for them to get through to the later stages?

Giving the winners a CL place is too much of a reward too. 

The problem is the fact too much (financial) emphasis is placed on staying in the Premier League or qualifying/progressing in the Champions League. The competition is very much the 3rd priority for the bigger clubs and yet one of them still invariably win the fucking thing anyway. Money talks.

Personally I like FA Cup replays. If you scrap replays and the like, it pretty much makes it exactly the same as League Cup (aside from the Semi's).

I like the Champions League idea, (they should also do this for the winner of the Europa League, but that's another story.)

The only other thing they should change is make teams play their best sides, but that's nigh on impossible to enforce as teams can just say their best players are injured anyway. 

Am I the only one that thinks the kick off time change would be canny? Atmosphere is generally better when it's a late kick off in football and gives people more time to enjoy their day/have a few pints/soak up the atmosphere.

Please don't get a league game played at SJP mixed up with the FA cup final or a FA cup semi final both great occasions with brilliant atmospheres until you realise the dream is over.

FA CUP SEMI FINAL 05

I really don't like the no replays idea, it makes the competition a bit unique in that it has them and has for as long as I can remember. I think the seeding is total BS as well, just a more official/justified way to give the likes of Chelsea easy ties at home.

Throughout the PL era I doubt any more than 2 or 3 winners of the FA Cup have came from outside the top 4. So it means next to fuck all to allocate a CL place to the FA Cup winners. Will UEFA allow the FA to allocate the place to the Cup winners?

Yes, generally UEFA just give us 4 places, they don't really state who they should go too, we could give them to the conference winners for all they care. Thats how Holland were able to create a play off system for one of their places. It's the same with relegation and and promotion, it's just the fact that the top 2 and the play off winner in the case of promotion are given those places, and the bottom 3 are given the relegation slots in the case of relegation. Also teams in the case of European competitions and promotion can reject their places if they wish.

Throughout the PL era I doubt any more than 2 or 3 winners of the FA Cup have came from outside the top 4. So it means next to f*** all to allocate a CL place to the FA Cup winners. Will UEFA allow the FA to allocate the place to the Cup winners?

Yes, generally UEFA just give us 4 places, they don't really state who they should go too, we could give them to the conference winners for all they care. Thats how Holland were able to create a play off system for one of their places. It's the same with relegation and and promotion, it's just the fact that the top 2 and the play off winner in the case of promotion are given those places, and the bottom 3 are given the relegation slots in the case of relegation. Also teams in the case of European competitions and promotion can reject their places if they wish.

You're wrong the CL places go to the top 4 clubs in the PL league that may change if the winner of the CL is from PL but finished outside the top 4 because the CL winner automatically take the place of 4th placed club if they did not make the top 4.

Platini tried to get the domestic cup winners a place but failed & instead settled for six places in the group stage of the Champions League are reserved for league champions from the bottom 40 countries in Europe.

Platini is still up for it though http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/24/michel-platini-champions-league-fa-cup but he knows it is not going to happen.

Nothing wrong with those changes. The Champions League place thing should have happened ages ago, and replays are turboshit.

Seeding isn't as bad an idea as you think. If you're a small minnows club and you get into the third round you are dreaming about a draw against Man United or Liverpool for the financial windfall and the media exposure. You don't want to be drawn against Scunthorpe just because you might have a slightly better chance of winning.

It's good for the big clubs because they get cush third round ties, it's good for the small clubs because they're guaranteed a small fortune if they make the third round. It's good for us because we probably get to avoid our annual third round exit to Arsenal O0

Honestly, I don't see the point in changing the competition format. The Champions League place as a reward is a bit too much imo, the kick-off time is no-no imo.

But I do agree that replays should be scrapped - a completely unnecessary addition to the hectic fixture calendar.

Guest EastEndGeordie

TBH this change should happen as the FA cup has now become a joke. Twenty years ago a team wouldn't dream of fielding any of their weaker players but nowadays it seems that the only purpose it serves is to get reserves a couple of matches.

Early rounds will be seeded, not sure if it will just be up until the 3rd round or the 4th round.  :thdn:

There will be no replays, all drawn games will go to extra time and then penalties.  :thdn:

The final will KO at either 5:15pm or 5:30pm  :thdn:

The winners will qualify for the Champions League (taking the 4th place) and the runners up could possibly qualify for the Europa League.  :thup:

Also rumoured is a Premier League type squad list so no club play a weak team against lesser teams then a stronger team once the seeding has gone.   :thup: