KK - "Pardew Won't See A Penny Of It"

Crumpy Gunt

A bit rich accusing others of spouting the same old s*** when you roll out the "spat the dummy out" argument repeatedly in the face of evidence compelling enough to convince an independent Premier League panel that KK had been, in effect, forced out.

Yes that judgement again, the one that went a long way exposing what everyone suspected of Ashley but not so much excuse Keegan of quitting again. But as long as he was 'right', ey? That's what matters most, not the state in which it left the team.

A bit rich accusing others of spouting the same old s*** when you roll out the "spat the dummy out" argument repeatedly in the face of evidence compelling enough to convince an independent Premier League panel that KK had been, in effect, forced out.

Yes that judgement again, the one that went a long way exposing what everyone suspected of Ashley but not so much excuse Keegan of quitting again. But as long as he was 'right', ey? That's what matters most, not the state in which it left the team.

I seriously suggest you look up the definition of constructive dismissal before making any more absurd second guesses as to what matters to me, or draw equally spurious references to the state of the team at that time.

That's constructive DISMISSAL.

Ashley shouldn't have tried to pander to supporter sentiment by appointing Keegan. Keegan shouldn't have accepted the job when he knew there was going to be a DOF in the picture. Ashley and Wise shouldn't have tried to foist players on Keegan. Keegan shouldn't have walked out on the last day of the transfer window. And the Keegan fan-boys should accept that not every toon supporter is prone to adolescent hero worship.

Ashley shouldn't have tried to pander to supporter sentiment by appointing Keegan. Keegan shouldn't have accepted the job when he knew there was going to be a DOF in the picture. Ashley and Wise shouldn't have tried to foist players on Keegan. Keegan shouldn't have walked out on the last day of the transfer window. And the Keegan fan-boys should accept that not every toon supporter is prone to adolescent hero worship.

Exactly. A whole big ball of wrong for all concerned.

I seriously suggest you look up the definition of constructive dismissal before making any more absurd second guesses as to what matters to me, or draw equally spurious references to the state of the team at that time.

There we go again. I'm not even contesting the verdict at all, more that we even got there. What good did it do anyone other than Keegan? It left the team sportingly in a lurch, that should be part of the bottom line to NUFC fans.

Also, if he was in such a privileged position to know what they were like he could have chosen any time to get the truth out and would no doubt have been backed by all supporters. But he chose to make it damaging.

His lawsuit is very similar to how he quit. Shortermism thinking from him where he was desperate to spite Ashley even though it meant fans and the team would be the ones in the crossfire. Hooray for his 'morals'.

There we go again. I'm not even contesting the verdict at all, more that we even got there. What good did it do anyone other than Keegan? It left the team sportingly in a lurch, that should be part of the bottom line to NUFC fans.

Also, if he was in such a privileged position to know what they were like he could have chosen any time to get the truth out and would no doubt have been backed by all supporters. But he chose to make it damaging.

His lawsuit is very similar to how he quit. Shortermism thinking from him where he was desperate to spite Ashley even though it meant fans and the team would be the ones in the crossfire. Hooray for his 'morals'.

How does that work? So, if while he was still in charge, all of this came out, what position would he have been left in? Or do you think it would have meant that Mike Ashley would have automatically sold the club and everything would have worked out ok. I really don't get that.

One of the reasons it became as much of a drama and 'untenable' situation is probably also because of Keegan and him creating such a situation where he then believes he is at loggerheads and has to leave. He's done it before. I'm not saying he didn't get fucked over, he did. Just a real shame he felt the need to just pass the buck and in turn fuck over the team.

Chris Hughton seemed to manage alright in compartmentalising and getting on with it.

Guest Wally_McFool

Also, if he was in such a privileged position to know what they were like he could have chosen any time to get the truth out and would no doubt have been backed by all supporters.

He did actually warn the fans what Ashley and his mates were like in the aftermatch interview after  the last home game of the season against Chelsea but loads of people like you never listened.

Night night.     :dance:

He did actually warn the fans what Ashley and his mates were like in the aftermatch interview after  the last home game of the season against Chelsea but loads of people like you never listened.

Again with assumed Ashley love.

Why not quit at the end of 08-09 then?

Why not quit at the end of 08-09 then?

Maybe after the meetings LDN he gave it go.

Keegan and O'Neill have always been fantastic at spending other people's money. Unfortunately in this day and age it's not considered much of an asset unless the returns can justify it. MON spent a fortune with the blessing of an owner who was considered ideal on this board a couple of seasons ago. Where are Villa now after all their extravagant outlay?

For what it's worth:

Why did you make the decision to go back there, and why didn't it last very long?

Well it's very easy to tell you why I made the decision to go back there, it's a club I love. I played for it, my father was a Geordie. It's a club that I then had the pleasure to manage once and although people see it as a failure we did quite well, won a lot of games, played a lot of good football. Certainly won a massive fanbase for Newcastle other than the Geordies. So I was just ecstatic when I got a phone call from Mike Ashley to go back but unfortunately - well I don't talk about it much now but I went to court to have the right to talk about it - I was surrounded by people who didn't tell me the truth, who deceived me. You don't have to take my word for it, read the evidence of the court case, I don't want to elaborate on it more than that. I could write a book - I've chosen not to - I could go on TV every day and tell you things that you wouldn't believe that happened there, but what's the point?

Newcastle's got to get on with it, Mike Ashley and the people around him have got to live with what they did and I suppose they'll be able to do that. We just move on, but it was disappointing. It's crucial at any football club, you do need as a manager the support of your chairman, owner and your board and you certainly have to have that backing and be truthful with each other if you're going to have any chance. The successful clubs have that and that's probably why unfortunately Newcastle got relegated that season. But they're back in the Premier League now, I'm delighted. Next time I go into football I'll look more closely not at the club but at the people who own it and run it.

One thing about Keegan for me, above all else, is his honesty.

I'll always believe he was, and is, totally honest with Newcastle fans - as he sees it.

For that reason I'll always have the utmost respect for the man.

He had his weaknesses as a manager, sure - who doesn't?

But, for me, I have never, ever, heard what I would call self-serving comments about his time at the club.

In my opinion he always says as he finds it.

He's history now, but he'll always have a special place in my heart - as one of the best managers we've ever had.

He loves the club, like we all do, and like Sir Bobby did. And no-one could deny that is the case.

So that's good enough for me. Anyone who loves what I love is just fine by me.

For what it's worth:

Why did you make the decision to go back there, and why didn't it last very long?

Well it's very easy to tell you why I made the decision to go back there, it's a club I love. I played for it, my father was a Geordie. It's a club that I then had the pleasure to manage once and although people see it as a failure we did quite well, won a lot of games, played a lot of good football. Certainly won a massive fanbase for Newcastle other than the Geordies. So I was just ecstatic when I got a phone call from Mike Ashley to go back but unfortunately - well I don't talk about it much now but I went to court to have the right to talk about it - I was surrounded by people who didn't tell me the truth, who deceived me. You don't have to take my word for it, read the evidence of the court case, I don't want to elaborate on it more than that. I could write a book - I've chosen not to - I could go on TV every day and tell you things that you wouldn't believe that happened there, but what's the point?

Newcastle's got to get on with it, Mike Ashley and the people around him have got to live with what they did and I suppose they'll be able to do that. We just move on, but it was disappointing. It's crucial at any football club, you do need as a manager the support of your chairman, owner and your board and you certainly have to have that backing and be truthful with each other if you're going to have any chance. The successful clubs have that and that's probably why unfortunately Newcastle got relegated that season. But they're back in the Premier League now, I'm delighted. Next time I go into football I'll look more closely not at the club but at the people who own it and run it.

Being a pundit on ESPN is a lot easier and probably pays well enough in case the call never comes.

Guest magpie99

Apologies for the typos. My keyboard is missing the majority of the letter markings........LOL and my fingers are quite big too.

Anyway, let me make this a little easier for some of you to understand, especially Dave.

In circa 2008, the club was broke. Ashley foolishly bought the club without due diligence and failed to find the hidden debt by Hall.Shepherd etc before it was too late. The appointment of Keegan to replace a clearly flagging Allardyce and Co.cost Ashley even more. The fact that we escaped relegation that year was down to KK. No argument there.

If Ashley hadnt bought the club and basically took control of most of the debt, we would be in oblivion now. The fact that a number of players wanted out like Milner, N'Zogbia and Given where the club got in excess of 26 million pounds but spent over 20 million on the likes of Colo, Jonas and Xisco was not MAs fault. The fact he appointed Wise and Co was his fault but it seemed to fit the plan for the direction he wanted to go for the club. After the KK debacle, they were all swiftly dismissed. So, he appears to have learned his lesson there.

Keegan wanted to spend big once Milkner went. Fair enough, He wanted a replacement but the club was so heavily in debt, it was more than likely the banks who refused to loan the money out and asked for a hefty downpayment of the Milner transfer and subsequent transfers after that. With the ego KK has, there was no way he was going to accept no money forthcoming so he walked, just like he did in 97 when he was told the same thing when the club went on the stock exchange.

We had a season of mayhem. Fans wanted Ashley out, he wanted out, players were sold, managers came and went and nothing seemed permanent. Relegation ultimately forced his hand. He had to make a decision whether to stay or go and even offered the c lub at a cut price. Still no takers. So, like everyone else around SJP, he rolled his sleeves up, as did the players, Hughton and Co., got rid of the deadwood, made a fair amount on the sales of the likes of Duff, Martins etc., cut the running costs of the club, reduced player salaries and eventually, provided the manager with several very good signings when players were needed that resulted in promotion.

Having spent a year in the championship and still a very high salary turnover for a club at that level, Ashley found that the club was still further in debt. However, they were nowhere near administration as he kept loaning the club money, interest free of course and provided limited funds to buy some more players.

Ashley has openly come out and said that he wants the club to become self sufficient, work towards a similar model run by Arsenal and be able to buy players up front rather than in installments. This is sound finanmcial planning especially with theinception of future FIFA rulings on turnover.

The sale of Andy Carroll probably perplexed many on here and I suppose the proof of how wise this transfer will have been will only be discovered at the end of August. However, even KK himself said he would have sold Carroll at that price, much as he did when he sold Andy Cole all those years ago.

Newcastle United is a business and Ashley is attempting to get the club out of the financial gloom it was in and on to an even keel. In any business in similar circumstances, unpopular decisions have to be made and he has had his fair share of them.

To finalise, the club gained promotion in one year, will receive a bigger slice of the Sky Pie than in previous years and maintain the high number of customers who are purchasing club merchandise. The 35 milliin pounds will also go into the pot, as I thing the 12 to 15 million pounds we will get for Enrique. The club has recently found a way of buying some good young players (Ben Arfa, Gosling etc) for well below their market value. I feel sure they will do so again in the summer to replace those who have gone/going. But, the club will be on a sound financial footing and heading in the right direction. I, for one, would love to see how well the likes of Ferguson, Kadar and others can learn and become quality young premiership players of the future.

Let me just you, Dave and others, what would you rather have?

1.....A club heavily in debt run by a manager who requests millions more to spend on players

2.....A club on a sound financial footing, punching above their weight with a policy of nurturing their young into superstars of the future.

I am no Ashley apologist but I understand where he is coming from and the hardline decisions he has to make to get there. He has made mistakes in the past but it seems he is learning from them.