Graham Carr

Guest sicko2ndbest

He looked decent fro the first year or so he was here.

Decent where? He's not a good winger by any imagination. As a striker he just doesn't attack the right areas to get goals. He's a nothing player now, maybe he was a proper striker at his previous clubs and we've coached it out of him.

Gouffran is Pardew's greatest work. If there is anyone who can be defined as Pardewed it is him.

He at least looked like a football player then, now he looks more like he is trying out the sport for the first time.

I have seen Cabella have good matches/halves for you; I remember for example the first half against Stoke (a pretty physical team), where he was extremely active. He's just the kind of player that needs movement around him. Whenever I watch you it's pretty damn obvious that the guys upfront are woefully isolated; many times Cabella or Ayoze pull off a decent bit of skill and find themselves completely without options.

It's also a mistake to see him as the HBA replacement. He's more of an advanced playmaker; he's Iniesta, not Messi (if we go with the Barça comparisons).

I came in to post this (more or less) in response to ronaldos latest proclamation that cabella isn't physically up to it...I was wondering how he was ghosting past the Chelsea midfield and defence looking every bit a 15m player in one of the only games under carver where the team played with confidence and movement, for a half

Ryan Taylor, Jonas, Gouffran and Sammy Ameobi have had good games against Chelsea over the years. If you think Cabella's physicality isn't a problem I'd suggest you re-familiarize yourself with his general impact on games this season. He's a very fine player technically but he'll never succeed at this level unless the physical issue is addressed. 

HBA had phenomenal balance and acceleration. He didn't need to be strong. He was hardly weak either.

In real life - balance and acceleration derive from core strength, poise & power. That's what acceleration is - explosive power over short distances. You don't have great balance or acceleration without strength and power.

I have seen Cabella have good matches/halves for you; I remember for example the first half against Stoke (a pretty physical team), where he was extremely active. He's just the kind of player that needs movement around him. Whenever I watch you it's pretty damn obvious that the guys upfront are woefully isolated; many times Cabella or Ayoze pull off a decent bit of skill and find themselves completely without options.

It's also a mistake to see him as the HBA replacement. He's more of an advanced playmaker; he's Iniesta, not Messi (if we go with the Barça comparisons).

I came in to post this (more or less) in response to ronaldos latest proclamation that cabella isn't physically up to it...I was wondering how he was ghosting past the Chelsea midfield and defence looking every bit a 15m player in one of the only games under carver where the team played with confidence and movement, for a half

Ryan Taylor, Jonas, Gouffran and Sammy Ameobi have had good games against Chelsea over the years. If you think Cabella's physicality isn't a problem I'd suggest you re-familiarize yourself with his general impact on games this season. He's a very fine player technically but he'll never succeed at this level unless the physical issue is addressed. 

If the team functions it'll be much less of an issue than it is now, but aye why not ideally he could do with bulking up.

HBA had phenomenal balance and acceleration. He didn't need to be strong. He was hardly weak either.

In real life - balance and acceleration derive from core strength, poise & power. That's what acceleration is - explosive power over short distances. You don't have great balance or acceleration without strength and power.

Giovinco says "areet"

Giovinco says "areet"

:thup:

Giovinco says "areet"

:lol: :thup:

Giovinco says "areet"

You can be small and light and still have power and strength. Remy Cabella is not.

A low centre of gravity produces greater torque, which is why shorter people can be explosive over shorter distances. In football people tend to think of speed and strength as separate and linear but that is not the case. To run fast you need to be powerful. That's what is moving you along.

Silva is pretty well balanced, definitely not strong.

Michael Owen in his prime had ridiculous acceleration and balance. He was anything but strong and powerful.

Your both thinking of strength/power in relation to the ability to lift large amounts of weight. To run fast it is the muscles that propel you. They must generate enough power to do so within your frame.

Again - David Silva has a low center of gravity and great core strength. You cannot see core strength through a t-shirt. Cabella does not have great core strength.

Giovinco says "areet"

You can be small and light and still have power and strength. Remy Cabella is not.

A low centre of gravity produces greater torque, which is why shorter people can be explosive over shorter distances. In football people tend to think of speed and strength as separate and linear but that is not the case. To run fast you need to be powerful. That's what is moving you along.

Torque is a term associated with angular movement, in which case pushing a lever further out from the centre of mass will produce a greater torque and is irrelevant. From a purely physical sense, momentum is directly proportional to the mass and speed of the player. A smaller mass will therefore deem it easier to overcome inertia due to the lesser momentum - is how I would think about speed/acceleration/power.

Overall, I'd say smaller mass, quicker acceleration but an inability to reach as high speeds as people with higher mass. This is why Sol Campbell was the fastest man at Arsenal despite being a massive bear of a guy.

Ben Arfa was an anomaly for me, he could reach his comparitively high top speed almost immediately. His thrust was insane. Purely from a physical sense he's a marvel. Tack onto that his dribbling ability at high speeds and he stops making sense.

I think I agree, but I got sidetracked.

• 3 months later...

Surely under pressure at the club now, most of his bigger money signings have failed miserably and so there is massive pressure on this summers signings,particularly Thauvin. Plus he was supposedly  really influential in the McClaren appointment.