Newcastle Goalkeepers

LoveItIfWeBeatU
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/03/13/pardew-facing-a-dilemma-over-united-keepers-79310-28326409/

Pardew facing a dilemma over United keepers

Mar 13 2011 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

ALAN PARDEW admits either Fraser Forster or Tim Krul is likely to leave Newcastle over the summer – after ruling out recruiting another goalkeeper.

The United boss says he intends to recall the impressive Forster from Celtic at the end of the season and pitch him into a three-way battle to be Newcastle’s No 1.

While Harper currently has the edge, Pardew will not offer him a gilt-edged assurance he will start the season with the No 1 jersey if either Krul or Forster does enough during the summer.

Conversely, the man ranked No 3 will be allowed to depart St James’ Park – either for a stint on loan or permanently.

Pardew told the Sunday Sun: “In the summer I do not intend to bring a keeper in – our three goalkeepers will be on an even keel probably, with Harps just having the edge because of what he has done this season.

“Tim and Fraser have to come here in pre-season and be challenging.

One will have to go out and one needs to threaten Harps or take his position – that is what the club is about.

We cannot keep them both at the club, we don’t want to.

Although Pardew is not promising him a continued stint in the No 1 jersey next season, he clearly rates Harper as one of the Premier League’s best stoppers.

Hailing him as worth “eight to 10 points a season,” he reckons Harper brings a calmness and serenity to the United defence.

Harper was that good against Everton, pulling off a string of superb stops.

Pardew added: “Harps deserved to win us a point against Everton.

“If Leon Best’s goal had stood I would have said Harps would have won us that point.

“He is the kind of goalkeeper who can save you eight to 10 points a season. That is how good he is.

“I think sometimes you get a young goalkeeper who can reach right to that top corner and touch it over the crossbar and maybe make a save Harps cannot.

“However, 90%, of a goalkeeper’s work is about being in the right positions, cutting out balls, kicking consistently.

“He comes, makes the right decisions on crosses and shots which should be saved by the keeper he saves.”

I guess we'll send Krul out for a season loan and keep Forster next season. Harper's contract ends in Summer 2012 so there's a possibility next season could be his last at NUFC. Having said that, would Forster and Krul be happy to compete with each other to be Number 1? I can also see one of them being sold. Both their contracts run until Summer 2014. Ole Soderberg's contract runs to Summer 2012.

http://www.nufc.com/2010-11html/squad.html

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

It was always going to happen. Think we're in safe hands (so to speak) which ever one we keep.

:thup:

Krul will leave permanently in the summer I reckon.

He doesn't think he will.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/03/11/tim-krul-rubbishes-newcastle-quit-rumours-72703-28319566/

Tim Krul rubbishes Newcastle quit rumours

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Mar 11 2011

TIM KRUL has rubbished claims he will leave Newcastle United this summer.

The Dutch keeper was subject of national reports earlier this season that he would be axed by Alan Pardew and replaced in the pecking order by Hexham-born shot-stopper Fraser Forster.

However, Alan Pardew revealed to the Chronicle last month that the battle for the gloves at St James’ Park is a three-way contest between Krul, Forster and Steve Harper.

And the Dutchman has now hit back at talk he is heading for the exit door at St James’ Park.

He told the Chronicle: “That talk was rubbish.

“I’m committed to Newcastle and any talk to the contrary is just utter garbage.

“I enjoyed so much playing in the Premier League, and I just want to play for Newcastle in the top flight.

“It was amazing playing Chelsea and Liverpool at home, and I’m just looking forward to the next period.”

Krul says he had been inspired by Pardew’s vows that the goalkeeping battle next summer will be just as exciting as the skirmish to lead the line of attack.

The man tipped to be Holland’s No 1 in the future said: “The important thing about the reserve games is to put pressure on the manager and show that I’m here.

“This manager made it really clear that he’ll see who’s going to be the No 1 in the summer.

“I really think this manager gives you a fair chance, and that’s all you can ask.”

Krul performed well in the absence of Harper earlier in the campaign to underline just why sides like Juventus and Feyenoord wanted his services last year.

He said: “This season has been more than I expected.

“Of course, I was disappointed I was out of the team, because I really enjoyed my time in the goal.

“I thought I did well. It was a great experience, and I can’t wait for the next period in goal.”

And Krul delivered a reminder to Pardew and his coaching team just what he is capable of with a superb performance in the second string on Wednesday night.

He pulled off a series of excellent stops against Arsenal reserves at St James’ Park to help nail a creditable victory over the Gunners.

He told me: “It was good to get 90 minutes – that’s what you want from these kind of games.

“I’m really pleased with how it went.

“It was perfect timing. I was speaking with my keeper coach Andy Woodman, and I said ‘I need a game’.

“It’s always nice to get a win and make some saves – it couldn’t have been better.”

Guest toonlass

Nice problem to have, will have to ask some SPL followers about Forster.

Forster has done well at Celtic. I know their fans have been speaking positively about him. Also I think a full season as a number 1 keeper playing week in, week out, playing in front of a demanding crowd at Celtic Park will have been far more beneficial than sitting on the bench for half the season.

Forster has done well at Celtic. I know their fans have been speaking positively about him. Also I think a full season as a number 1 keeper playing week in, week out, playing in front of a demanding crowd at Celtic Park will have been far more beneficial than sitting on the bench for half the season.

This! That's why I have more belief in Forster right now. He's received glowing reports both in Celtic and Norwich.

This! That's why I have more belief in Forster right now. He's received glowing reports both in Celtic and Norwich.

Yeah, I know a Norwich fan that said he'd be future England #1

Amazing that Forster has never even came on as a sub or played in any of the cup competitions for us.

Yeah was thinking that... by many accounts and his spells on loan, he's quite brilliant and has the brighter future. Yet most of us have hardly seen any of him at all.