Newcastle United vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers, 02/04/11 - Pre-match Thread

ChrisMcQuillan

I guess on some level I can understand the "OMG we went down once and it hurt so much, I don't think I'd be able to bear going down again, so I'll just have a super negative attitude to begin with to soften the blow just in case it actually happens" attitude.

Glad to hear it.

We're pretty much done imo. Never going to pull out once we're deeper than 3 points into the shithole, which we will be in two weeks time.

I really don't have the proper tools to process this. I've never experienced a relegation before and honestly never thought I would so I can't even understand what I'm going through never mind deal with it.  I just have this sick phantom pain in my stomach that I don't know what to do with.

I've never said anyone was less of a fan for betting against us, I just said I see it as wrong and tried to make my point as to why I think it is wrong.

And yes, most of the time I get a lot of enjoyment. I don't bet on NUFC a lot, mind. Just when I have money in my betting account to spare, and I'm not "relying" on those bets. I'm putting them on for the off chance we do well, and the extra joy that would bring. My bets aren't random, (bar the odd knee jerk here and there) and I make quite a good amount of extra money from betting, without going against my own views on what is right/wrong in footy betting. So I'm quite content.

Kaziero agrees. I'm sure he has loads of enjoyment placing those £200 doubles on that he's 'relying on'. :lol:

Anyway, we all gamble for different reasons. It's f***ing ludicrous that some little b****** tells me i'm a less of a fan for putting money where my opinions are. I never want us to drop points, ever.

Areet. He's entitled to an opinion. Less of the insults.

I, for one, enjoy a good debate with Ronaldo. Admittedly, I did get a bit thrown off by the "little bastard" remark as I thought it was aimed at me, which felt a bit unecessary as we usually discuss things well without insults. That said, I understand the view as some people did say that betting against your own team makes you a lesser fan. Which, even though I'm well against it, it obviously does not.

Edit: And fuck you Sewelly. :(

He's already said he hopes he doesn't collect.

yeah i'm putting the Euromillions on this week but hope i don't win.

nobody bets and doesn't want to win,  otherwise you may as well just throw the money away.  I still don't understand why you'd bet on your team to lose and then say hope i don't they don't collect.

i have done many times, i've probably had money against us in nearly all our games at old trafford and anfiled over the past 6 or 7 years. it's the difference between what i think will happen with what i want to happen. whats the difference between those in the match threads that predict a defeat and those prepared to put their cash where their mouths are ?

i have £5 on us going down at 37/1 a week or two a go. i wouldn't have took the bet had it been 12/1 or similar.

Guest ovesbar

Well I for one will win a shitload of money if the worst thing should happen and we go down. Will i be happy? no. But I can afford to go to St James 4-5 times and see us live. Nowadays I can watch every single game on TV, if we go down I cant see any of them unless I go to Newcastle. For me its just an insurance, im not less of a fan than I was when I didnt bet.

You can't measure "fanhood" in any respects due to betting, man. :lol: I started arguing as I think it's a predisposed pessimistic train of thought which IMO is somewhat unecessary as I like being optimistic going into every one of our matches and, as Jonny Hall pointed out earlier, I find it more enjoyable to bet on things that would make me (extra) happy compared to winning from a sad experience.

Guest Flatline

Betting on us going down is plain wrong.  Akin to taking out life insurance in the hope of getting cancer.  Anyone who does this isnt a genuine fan.  Simple as.

I respectfully disagree. Blindingly thinking we wont ever go down is akin to being borderline fanatical.

You can support the team but acknowledge that the squad isn`t good enough to stay up. I havent placed any bets but I still think we are in the dangerzone given our injuries and current form.

What has not betting on the team to lose got to do with blindly thinking we won't ever go down?

I would never bet on us losing/going down but that's me.  Other people can do what they want with their life/their money.

What has not betting on the team to lose got to do with blindly thinking we won't ever go down?

I would never bet on us losing/going down but that's me.  Other people can do what they want with their life/their money.

They can, but I still fucking hate their guts :lol:

Guest Rey Mysterio

Last season at the rugby, me and my mate were at the game and we were getting thrashed about 24-0 at HT. Bet365 only had the handicap one score in front of the current winning margin so we both backed the opposition on the handicap. As the half went on and Wigan kept scoring and scoring, Bet365 kept moving the handicap up but only by one score every time. So we continued backing Wigan on the handicap until about 10 minutes from the end then stopped.

Our team got thrashed but we each made a few hundred quid, more than covering the price of our season tickets. Did we feel bad for doing it? No. Would I do it again? Absolutely.

I can see both sides of this debate but if there's a silver lining to be had, why not take it?

I guess on some level I can understand the "OMG we went down once and it hurt so much, I don't think I'd be able to bear going down again, so I'll just have a super negative attitude to begin with to soften the blow just in case it actually happens" attitude.

Glad to hear it.

We're pretty much done imo. Never going to pull out once we're deeper than 3 points into the shithole, which we will be in two weeks time.

I really don't have the proper tools to process this. I've never experienced a relegation before and honestly never thought I would so I can't even understand what I'm going through never mind deal with it.  I just have this sick phantom pain in my stomach that I don't know what to do with.

I'm kind of honored that I'm important enough that Dave will dig through my two year old quotes.