Newcastle United vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers, 02/04/11 - Pre-match Thread

ChrisMcQuillan

Betting on us going down is plain wrong.  Akin to taking out life insurance in the hope of getting cancer.  Anyone who does this isnt a genuine fan.  Simple as.

I respectfully disagree. Blindingly thinking we wont ever go down is akin to being borderline fanatical.

You can support the team but acknowledge that the squad isn`t good enough to stay up. I havent placed any bets but I still think we are in the dangerzone given our injuries and current form.

...and isn't it more like taking out life insurance in case you get cancer? Not that it's like that, but that's closer to the truth.

I don't bet, but I can understand someone betting against their team. People bet for all kinds of reasons. Some people apparently only bet on things they feel comfortable cheering for, some occasionally bet to soften a blow. Don't people sometimes lay bets off halfway through to protect their money - less of a risk for less of a win?

I think that Fantasy Football is more insidious.

Guest Vinkent

Absolute nonsense talking about being more or less of a fan. It's not a measurable quantity - you're either a fan or you aren't. Simple as.

As for bets, being called for betting "against" your own club is rubbish too. There's a difference between optimistic and sensible with your cash.

Guest Spark

Some utter toolbags in this thread, like. I've bet on us to lose at home a few times this season and won a bit of money. Did that make me any less gutted when we lost? No. I'd much rather have the 3 points any day of the week. But I'm skint and I'll take any advantage over the bookies I can get.

I got good odds on our game against Spurs away this season and bet (Spurs -1) with like 300€. And didn't feel like lesser fan after the game. I even kinda forgot the bet during the game because we could have got something out of it.

We know our team probably better than some bookies, why not take advantage of it?

Got a straight red 3 games ago, and was suspended for the next two.  He has another game suspended, so Chronicle is wrong.

Direct quote from Pards though.

Walter Mitty himself.

Guest Nikos34

If Jose is out then we shouldn't hesitate at all putting Ferguson in the side, the lad has looked great when he's played. I'd play them both when fit to be honest.

Sadly, I've got a horrible feeling we could see the 'S.Taylor, Williamson, Coloccini, Simpson' back four this weekend  :facepalm:

Is Enrique going to be out then or what? Does anybody know?

Imo, everything depends on Enrique. If he's back, we will probably see Ferguson on lw, Jonas on rw and Barton as cm.  I think that's a pretty good lineup, that should take care of Wolfes. Especially since they're lacking Doyle and that central defender.