Finances 09/10 - 'Our vision for the club is to finish 10th or above every year'

quayside

Guest Brazilianbob

I f***ing hate Llambias like. What a cocksmoker.

I'm far more interested in your previous post in this thread (The Simon Bird article quote) which would seem to indicate, categorically in fact, that Ashley is not the anti-christ so many on here would have him be.

People cherish their opinions as though they were their children, unwilling to relinquish an idea because it means they would have to concede they may have been wrong. (Not you specifically, talking in general now.) Ashley may have made mistakes but he's not a c*** out to destroy the club, nor use it (club) as a cashflow exercise that increases his personal fortune; Lllambias may come across as an odious twerp (indeed does) but rationally he must be doing a decent job despite his persona.

I may be forced to vomit as I try to eat my own words a few more royal f***-ups from now - but I doubt it, Ashley doesn't do failure. At least not willingly. Not saying he's a hero either, but some people seriously need to re-evaluate the big picture.

Well said.  Whatever peoples perception of Ashley is, at the end of the day he has probably saved our club from extinction, and I for one would be more than happy to have a pint with him in the Bigg Market and tell him I am grateful for everything he has done for my (his) club (providing he is buying of course).  I will be castigated for this but it's about time he was welcomed back into the fold not as an owner but as a genuine fan of NUFC!

I think the main thing highlighted by this is how important it was that we bounce straight back up, we fell into a piranha filled lake and managed to get out quickly with only a few cuts and scratches. Some credit does have to be given to the management for hanging onto our top players during that time, but then again they had no other sensible choice, and it doesnt make up for some of the failures this season. But the fact we're back in the league (and should be staying) shouldn't be forgotten, imagine the club (and this board) if we were still down there.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/03/30/newcastle-united-reveal-cost-of-relegation-61634-28426521/

THE true cost of Newcastle United’s relegation from the Premier League was revealed today as the club published its annual accounts.

Records will show bosses at St James’ Park were forced to focus on cutting costs as the club’s income fell by 39%.

In 2008/09 Newcastle pulled in £86.1m, a figure which dropped to £52.4m last year. Television fees alone fell by 57%, from £37.6m to £16m.

The figures show the club was left with no option but to off-load top earners, including Michael Owen, to keep its wage bill under control.

Despite achieving a 33% cut in the total being paid to players – down from £71.1m to £47.5m – the wages bill still absorbed 90.6% of all money coming in to the club.

The accounts, which will be filed with Companies House today, will also underline the significance of owner Mike Ashley in maintaining the club’s financial health.

In total the club owed £150m last year, including £139.8m to Ashley, who last night confirmed the loans would remain interest free.

The figures show Ashley was also forced to step in and pay off £25m owed to banks and advance £13m the club was waiting to receive in transfer fees.

Despite the hardship of being away from the top flight for a season the club’s overall loss only increased by £2m, from £15.2m to £17.1m.

Managing director Derek Llambias described the figure as a “significant achievement” in the same season the club stormed to the Championship title.

Mr Llambias said: “Our overriding aim in 2009/10 was to secure promotion back to the Premier League at the first attempt. Relegation presented a considerable challenge for us financially.

“With such a marked reduction in turnover, largely due to reduced TV and media revenue, we needed to cut our operating costs accordingly without jeopardising our ability to return to top-flight football straight away.

“We succeeded in reducing our wage bill considerably whilst maintaining the basis of a Premier League squad.

“It has been a significant achievement to keep our overall loss at a level similar to the year before despite the impact of relegation, and our ability to do this has been helped immeasurably by the continued financial support of Mike Ashley, who injected a further £42m into the club last year interest-free.”

Relegation meant all but one of the club’s other revenue streams fell, with the amount being brought in by corporate hospitality and boxes more than halving from £6.7m to £2.8m.

The club’s commercial income, including sponsorship and catering, dropped by a fifth from £19.4m to £15.4m.

A 24% reduction in operating costs, from £98m to £74.4m was achieved, but the savings came against a backdrop of revenue from season tickets dropping by £4.6m between 2008/09 and 2009/10.

The fall was partly off-set by a £1m increase in gate receipts from £5.5m to £6.5m.

The accounts show the wages to turnover ratio increased by 8% from £82.5m in a season which saw Danny Simpson, Mike Williamson, Wayne Routledge and Leon Best brought in.

Last night the club said it has been helped through the difficult season away from the top flight by more than a million fans visiting St James’ Park, with an average league attendance of 43,388, – the fourth highest in English football.

The full annual accounts, including the financial statements of the Group and the Independent Auditors’ Report for the year have been submitted to Companies House today.

Guest Wally_McFool

[

Well said.  Whatever peoples perception of Ashley is, at the end of the day he has probably saved our club from extinction, and I for one would be more than happy to have a pint with him in the Bigg Market and tell him I am grateful for everything he has done for my (his) club (providing he is buying of course).  I will be castigated for this but it's about time he was welcomed back into the fold not as an owner but as a genuine fan of NUFC!

I dont like Mike Ashley, however he would probably be doing himself a favour if he he ditched his smarmy, idiotic shite talking foureyed sidekick Llambias and brought in somebody to run the club who actually knows something about football and actually knows what they are doing.

Llambias is a total embarrassment to the club and dare I say it, to Mike Ashley.

His gaffes and double standards are staggering, the latest one "We are starting to get the stability we need into the football club both financially and within the squad. That stability is one of our most important goals." is fucking laughable.

Guest Brazilianbob

Some people need to give themselves a good hard kick up the a*se!  Ok so Mike Ashley could have avoided the relegation.  How?  We were skint and losing money hand over fist.  So you wanted him to put his hand in his pocket and buy players?  You all say he is a big fat c**t but you are happy for him to spend his dosh.  Ok so he does that and has to pay big wages to those players to keep us in the EPL, so we lose even more money hand over fist.  Existing like that means eventually you reach a point where even the Sky TV and media money is outstripped by the outgoings, so he then has to put his hand in his pocket every season to the detriment of his own personal fortune.  Get real people!  The way he has gone about turning round the then limited future of NUFC is remarkable.  OK so he has made mistakes, but who hasn't made mistakes that they truly truly regret, but no amount of regrets can change what has gone before, so stop being so insular and accept he might know a little bit more than most NUFC fans about turning a business into a profitable oprganization.

£17.1m losses.. hmm his own fault though!

Next thing he should do to try and get fans back onside and a full house every game.. SACK Lambias & INVEST MORE than the £35m we got for Carroll.

Oh maybe just SELL UP & FUCK OFF

If that £37m figure is right, if SJH hadn't sold up we'd have been headed for a few very interesting years. Wonder what would have happened.

NUFC was running out of cash but someone would have bought the club, even via the administration route. The status quo could not have continued. That could have relegated us, but hey we got relegated anyway. So life would probably be not to dissimilar to now, just probably with a different owner and without the eye watering intercompany numbers.

To say 'NUFC would not be here without him' is to assume there is not another buyer in the world who would have been interested in a distressed sale.

Guest icemanblue

Some people need to give themselves a good hard kick up the a*se!  Ok so Mike Ashley could have avoided the relegation.  How?  We were skint and losing money hand over fist.  So you wanted him to put his hand in his pocket and buy players?  You all say he is a big fat c**t but you are happy for him to spend his dosh.  Ok so he does that and has to pay big wages to those players to keep us in the EPL, so we lose even more money hand over fist.  Existing like that means eventually you reach a point where even the Sky TV and media money is outstripped by the outgoings, so he then has to put his hand in his pocket every season to the detriment of his own personal fortune.  Get real people!  The way he has gone about turning round the then limited future of NUFC is remarkable.  OK so he has made mistakes, but who hasn't made mistakes that they truly truly regret, but no amount of regrets can change what has gone before, so stop being so insular and accept he might know a little bit more than most NUFC fans about turning a business into a profitable oprganization.

Urgh. I really do despair.

Some people need to give themselves a good hard kick up the a*se!  Ok so Mike Ashley could have avoided the relegation.  How?  We were skint and losing money hand over fist.  So you wanted him to put his hand in his pocket and buy players?  You all say he is a big fat c**t but you are happy for him to spend his dosh.  Ok so he does that and has to pay big wages to those players to keep us in the EPL, so we lose even more money hand over fist.  Existing like that means eventually you reach a point where even the Sky TV and media money is outstripped by the outgoings, so he then has to put his hand in his pocket every season to the detriment of his own personal fortune.  Get real people!  The way he has gone about turning round the then limited future of NUFC is remarkable.  OK so he has made mistakes, but who hasn't made mistakes that they truly truly regret, but no amount of regrets can change what has gone before, so stop being so insular and accept he might know a little bit more than most NUFC fans about turning a business into a profitable oprganization.

For starters...

Not employing Wise, Kinnear or Shearer. Nowt to do with players. It was the managerial merryground that was probably the key point in us going down.

Avoiding all that wouldve saved money too so win/win

After all this from Llambias i feel nothing but depression and i shouldnt feel like that ,we are healthy financially arguebly than we have ever been in the last 20 years but i still cannot accept that the club wants nowt better than to remain out of the relegation zone and a buy young sell for profit mentallity it fills me with dread and its not a ambitious direction in my eyes.The Carroll transfer money has already been eaten away by Tiote and to a lesser extent Rangers contracts with Barton and Enrique possibly to follow leaving us with money for possibly 3-4 players and a piss poor quality squad with ageing players . :weep:

Guest Roger Kint

Again, PR is not Llambias's strong point. Whatever he means there, the figure that leaps out at you is '10th', and that's not very inspiring.

We failed to acheive that in 10 of the last 14 years, not that im overly confident we will start to do it regularly now mind.......

Guest Brazilianbob

Ok so Mike Ashley could have avoided the relegation.  How? 

There isn't enough space on the internet to answer this.

Short answer.... BACKING KEEGAN.. would have been a start.

At the time I thought it was the wrong appointment and that Mike Ashley was simply pandering to the wishes of the NUFC fans who went crazy over the appointment, despite the fact that KK had failed at England and Man City and hadn't worked in football for over 3 years.  But using that argument of backing KK, I take it you would have been just as happy to see Ashley backing JFK in the transfer market with big money?

:facepalm:

:facepalm:

What you think we would have still gone down ?