Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Guest firetotheworks

It's just mental. People are actually criminally underrating Ronaldo now. He have more assists this season than Messi aye? 50 goals in 47 games too. Messi with 47 in 48. Yet Messi is far better? :lol: I'm confused.

Yeah, he is. :lol:

It's just mental. People are actually criminally underrating Ronaldo now. He have more assists this season than Messi aye? 50 goals in 47 games too. Messi with 47 in 48. Yet Messi is far better? :lol: I'm confused.

No he has less assists than Messi but it's close enough. Anyway, goals and assists aren't the only things that matter in football. Messi is so good at dropping back into midfield and picking out a pass

Guest firetotheworks

That through ball that Messi played to Neymar (which he then missed) shouldn't have really been possible, you couldn't even really see that ball as being on while watching it on telly.

He impacts the game in so many different ways, while Ronaldo if he's not scoring isn't really impacting the game at least nowadays anyway.

Not to take anything away from him though, as he's one of the most lethal goalscorers I have ever seen and he deserves all the respect in the world for becoming the player he has.

^^^^ reduced Ronaldo to being described as a lethal goalscorer.

Nowadays he is yes, he doesn't get involved in the build up hardly at all anymore everything he does is in and around the box.

Which is why the likes of Marcelo, Benzema and Rodriguez are so important so he doesn't have to.

Gerrard has more goals and assists than Xavi, stats mean absolutely fuck all.

Also most of Ronaldo's assists are fifa style cutbacks it doesn't mean he's some brilliant creator, also I already said he's comparable to Messi in the goalscoring stakes.

But Messi superior in most other categories, the eye test proves that and I don't really have time to debate with someone who compares the two simply on raw stats.

Gerrard has more goals and assists than Xavi, stats mean absolutely fuck all.

Also most of Ronaldo's assists are fifa style cutbacks it doesn't mean he's some brilliant creator, also I already said he's comparable to Messi in the goalscoring stakes.

But Messi superior in most other categories, the eye test proves that and I don't really have time to debate with someone who compares the two simply on raw stats.

not quite for the bit in bold but the bit that follows is spot on...messi's assists are often top class passes that split through teams, some of the passes he makes are fucking ludicrous tbh

this is why he's comfortably the better of the two imho

:lol: FIFA style cut backs man. He's getting into those positions and putting the ball on a plate for his teammate. I'm happy for people to say Messi is better, but all this nonsense of being far better and on another planet is borderline retarded.

:lol: FIFA style cut backs man. He's getting into those positions and putting the ball on a plate for his teammate. I'm happy for people to say Messi is better, but all this nonsense of being far better and on another planet is borderline retarded.

Nah, he actually is a far better footballer than CRonaldo.

Nah, he actually is a far better footballer than CRonaldo.

exactly, if you took goals out of it and watched clips of their assists and key passes it'd be rather illuminating I reckon

nothing wrong with ronaldos game, he's a fucking machine, but messi is unquestionably the superior footballer

:lol: What the fuck Mojo? "If you took goals out of it." Aye I'm sure if you take goals out of a forwards game it might affect how they're seen. Goals win games.

A few people are being a bit silly with the distance between the players.

:lol: What the f*** Mojo? "If you took goals out of it." Aye I'm sure if you take goals out of a forwards game it might affect how they're seen. Goals win games.

I'm not being silly at all. He's a far better player than CRonaldo at their best. No doubt that distance isn't that far the moment, but in terms of their class and not form Messi is a much much better players.

:lol: What the f*** Mojo? "If you took goals out of it." Aye I'm sure if you take goals out of a forwards game it might affect how they're seen. Goals win games.

I'm not being silly at all. He's a far better player than CRonaldo at their best. No doubt that distance isn't that far the moment, but in terms of their class and not form Messi is a much much better players.

Ronaldo isn't really at his best to be honest; he's just in a far better team than 2-3 years ago, when he was carrying Real Madrid on a weekly basis. His physical decline is pretty noticeable (he's 30), and to his credit he's adjusted his game well - but again he has the supporting cast that he didn't have before.

:lol: What the fuck Mojo? "If you took goals out of it." Aye I'm sure if you take goals out of a forwards game it might affect how they're seen. Goals win games.

Messi is absolutely miles better than Ronaldo. Tell me one way in which Ronaldo is a better player. Messi is better at almost everything by a mile. I posted this article during the world cup but it is worth putting up again. Please read this Froggy http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lionel-messi-is-impossible/

Ronaldo isn't really at his best to be honest; he's just in a far better team than 2-3 years ago, when he was carrying Real Madrid on a weekly basis. His physical decline is pretty noticeable, and to his credit he's adjusted his game well - but again he has the supporting cast that he didn't have before.

I meant that Messi is far better player at his best than Cristiano's at his best. This season the gap has been less because Messi wasn't shining before new year, but he's a far better player than CRonaldo in terms of class.

Messi is absolutely miles better than Ronaldo. Tell me one way in which Ronaldo is a better player. Messi is better at almost everything by a mile. I posted this article during the world cup but it is worth putting up again. Please read this Froggy http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lionel-messi-is-impossible/

Every single physical attribute?

This is hyperbole and pretty much cements Froggy's point. :lol: