Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Often forget Ronaldo is already 30 as well.

jesus yeah, if last season was anything to go by messi might just be hitting his peak :lol:

as long as he stays fit and barca well managed they might have a few decent years coming up!

Things can change quickly in football (I mean Barca were in 'crisis' just before the new year) but its hard to see them not dominating for the next 3-4 years with that front 3.

• 2 months later...

Neymar finished fifth in the first round voting, behind Buffon.

Neymar was better than Suárez overall - mostly because of Suárez's ban and the time he needed to get up and running after that. But Suárez scored some damn big goals this season. Real Madrid in the league, the PSG brace, the winning goal in the final...

Neymar finished fifth in the first round voting, behind Buffon.

Neymar was better than Suárez overall - mostly because of Suárez's ban and the time he needed to get up and running after that. But Suárez scored some damn big goals this season. Real Madrid in the league, the PSG brace, the winning goal in the final...

Based on quality Suarez is better, but Neymars season was unbelievable. Scored in every of the last 5 or 6 CL games. Think its good for Neymar though. Will only motivate him more.

Guest firetotheworks

Neymar was more consistent over the season imo, but I think Suarez was at a higher level once he got going. That front 3 though man, best I've see and by a considerable distance as well.

Neymar was more consistent over the season imo, but I think Suarez was at a higher level once he got going. That front 3 though man, best I've see and by a considerable distance as well.

Can't disagree with that last sentence like, surely the best front line ever seen? Hope they get a good 2-3 years together, they could have it all. Well they already have it all but they could have it all for ages.

• 4 months later...
Guest firetotheworks

So good that he's won the Ballon D'or for the 5th time and no one's surprised. The greatest there's ever been and looking back I think 14/15 was his best season so far.

Always been a Ronaldo fan boy - and he will deservedly be remembered as a true great - but what Messi is doing is absurd. Surely there can be no debate? No player has ever scored so many for so long against such strong opposition and been the fulcrum of arguably the best club side ever.

So good that he's won the Ballon D'or for the 5th time and no one's surprised. The greatest there's ever been and looking back I think 14/15 was his best season so far.

France Football made a list of who'd have won the Balon D'Or if it wasn't only for European players up until couple year back. Pele would've had 7. Pele still #1.  ;)

Although to be serious I want to disagree with 14/15 being his best season so far, he was magical (and says it all when he's magical and imo it's not his best season), but Barcelona were nowhere near playing as well as they were before Suarez got comfortable in the team. Suarez gets very little credit in comparison to Messi and Neymar.

Guest firetotheworks

Personally think that Suarez was better than Neymar last season, but Messi's all round game was just unbelievable, even for him. Not only did he get the goals and the assists, but he was scoring the ridiculous goals, scoring at the big moments in matches and on the biggest stages, making the best defenders in the world look like fools and turning into a hybrid of him, Xavi and Iniesta in the way that he dictated and composed the way Barcelona were playing. He was absolutely ridiculous.