Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

I have seen Zidane sleepwalk through way too many games to put him at the top of footballing altars. I think it takes something special for Messi and Ronaldo to be Messi and Ronaldo almost every game. That's why both have these ridiculous stats in addition of performing in big games. Their consistency is ridiculous.

:thup:

Guest firetotheworks

Totally forgot about Senna like. He was quality as well, did he just disappear off the face of the earth?

Totally forgot about Senna like. He was quality as well, did he just disappear off the face of the earth?

Not really, he just didn't became known until his 30s, because Brazil never picked him and thus only gained international recognition when he switched to Spain. He didn't have that much left in the tank after 2008.

I have seen Zidane sleepwalk through way too many games to put him at the top of footballing altars. I think it takes something special for Messi and Ronaldo to be Messi and Ronaldo almost every game. That's why both have these ridiculous stats in addition of performing in big games. Their consistency is ridiculous.

Fair enough, I can't imagine rating a player based on what he does against Cordoba or Granada or Getafe for that sake though. CRonaldo doesn't perform nearly close to what Messi and Zidane did in big game, he disappears way too easily for my liking. The other impose themselves in big games.

Senna is playing with Raul for the NY Cosmos if I'm not mistaken. Think I read that the other day. Could easily google, but I'll trust my memory on this one.

Fair enough, I can't imagine rating a player based on what he does against Cordoba or Granada or Getafe for that sake though. CRonaldo doesn't perform nearly close to what Messi and Zidane did in big game, he disappears way too easily for my liking. The other impose themselves in big games.

Yet every other player plays against Córdoba and Getafe (or Burnley or Cagliari or whatever) and only those two have that kind of impact. They are the best in the world every game; the year we had Ronaldo is the only other time when I have seen a player being so consistently dominant.

How to people rate Raul btw?

Very good footballer, but not in the top echelon.

Yet every other player plays against Córdoba and Getafe (or Burnley or Cagliari or whatever) and only those two have that kind of impact. They are the best in the world every game; the year we had Ronaldo is the only other time when I have seen a player being so consistently dominant.

Agree to disagree ;) Messi is the only player who has done enough of both from the ones I've seen though.

Guest firetotheworks

How to people rate Raul btw?

Never understood the level of fuss around him. Very good player, but the hype around him was daft.

Flip man you're so wrong. :lol: How many goals did Ronaldo score in a row against Barca? He doesn't disappear in big games. :lol:

Like I said he scored many and he does contribute in many big games, but not near enough the amount of what Messi and Zidane or the real Ronaldo did.

Guest firetotheworks

It's the '(just)' that's annoying :lol: Ronaldo doesn't really show up in big matches imo. He has moments and scores, just like Messi has, but I can't remember the last time Ronaldo had a big game against a big team. That's Messi's MO, with the obvious disclaimer that he didn't in the World Cup Final.

This is why I got annoyed the other day. :lol: Messi is unbelievable and the better player of the two (just) but this discrediting of Ronaldo has to stop.

In terms of footballing ability there's no way that Messi is ''just'' better. He's on another planet, god damn it.

Don't agree with VI on that tbh, in big games Ronaldo is reliant on service as they limit his space. If Madrid win their best player usually is Modric or Rodriguez( Di Maria or Alonso last year) because those players get more room and thus can create for him.

That's the difference between Messi And Zidane, they don't need space :lol: Not really Ronaldo's fault tbh but his impact isn't the same and that's why it's a team game, when you zone in on one player it gives room to others.

Guest firetotheworks

Don't agree with VI on that tbh, in big games Ronaldo is reliant on service as they limit his space. If Madrid win their best player usually is Modric or Rodriguez( Di Maria or Alonso last year) because those players get more room and thus can create for him.

That's the difference between Messi And Zidane, they don't need space :lol: Not really Ronaldo's fault tbh but his impact isn't the same and that's why it's a team game, when you zone in on one player it gives room to others.

Zidane didn't need space? ???

I think you're wearing some rose-tinted glasses there mind.

Zidane didn't need space? ???

I think you're wearing some rose-tinted glasses there mind.

He didn't. I don't know what this forum has against Zidane, but Zidane created space by himself. He was overcrowded in midfield so much, he had usually a opposition player man marking him when their team had the ball.

Guest firetotheworks

Zidane was mint, but that's bollocks like. He was an artist with the ball and was brilliant at finding space, but he wasn't unstoppable like, not by any means.

In the sense he could be closed down and use his close control to escape and create for himself and his team mates.

For all Ronaldo's brilliance he can't do that, not a slight on him very few players in history can do that like Zidane could. Messi just happens to be one of them.

It's the '(just)' that's annoying :lol: Ronaldo doesn't really show up in big matches imo. He has moments and scores, just like Messi has, but I can't remember the last time Ronaldo had a big game against a big team. That's Messi's MO, with the obvious disclaimer that he didn't in the World Cup Final.

You're gonna make me feel dirty for defending Cristiano f***ing Ronaldo, but look at the past two games (Sevilla and Juve) and see who scored the goals that are keeping Real Madrid both in La Liga and the CL. Yeah, he doesn't have a good photo in a CL final like Messi does (except looking like a c*** showing off his muscles), but he's saved his team in some clutch moments.

You're gonna make me feel dirty for defending Cristiano f***ing Ronaldo, but look at the past two games (Sevilla and Juve) and see who scored the goals that are keeping Real Madrid both in La Liga and the CL. Yeah, he doesn't have a good photo in a CL final like Messi does (except looking like a c*** showing off his muscles), but he's saved his team in some big moments.

I'm going to sound like a mug here, but he couldn't really miss tbh and outside of that he hardly touched the ball.

You're gonna make me feel dirty for defending Cristiano f***ing Ronaldo, but look at the past two games (Sevilla and Juve) and see who scored the goals that are keeping Real Madrid both in La Liga and the CL. Yeah, he doesn't have a good photo in a CL final like Messi does (except looking like a c*** showing off his muscles), but he's saved his team in some clutch moments.

If he missed the one against Juve, where he btw for the rest of hte game was as invisible as Bale he should've been slaughtered.