Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Right now, Ronaldo >>>> Ibrahimovic >>>>> Messi.

Do people not watch the best team in the world? Ribery has got to be before Ibrahimovic. Ibra hasn't even scored the most in his god damn team, spectacular goals shouldn't win awards. I think CRonaldo or Ribery will get it based on the fact that Messi has been injured a bit.

I only included Messi since this is his thread. I'd have Ribery ahead of him this season, but behind Ibra and Ronaldo still. I'm also fairly certain that Ibra has scored the most for PSG this season. He scored another hat trick yesterday and has quite a few in Europe so far.

I think the Ballon d'Or will go to Ribery since it's heavily influenced by honours. The biggest surprise for me with that award is that Mandzukic didn't even receive a nomination despite being superb for Bayern. Not sure what went on there.

Do people not watch the best team in the world? Ribery has got to be before Ibrahimovic. Ibra hasn't even scored the most in his god damn team, spectacular goals shouldn't win awards. I think CRonaldo or Ribery will get it based on the fact that Messi has been injured a bit.

I only included Messi since this is his thread. I'd have Ribery ahead of him this season, but behind Ibra and Ronaldo still. I'm also fairly certain that Ibra has scored the most for PSG this season. He scored another hat trick yesterday and has quite a few in Europe so far.

I think the Ballon d'Or will go to Ribery since it's heavily influenced by honours. The biggest surprise for me with that award is that Mandzukic didn't even receive a nomination despite being superb for Bayern. Not sure what went on there.

Mandzukic? Get the fuck outta here.

Mandzukic? Get the f*** outta here.

Stopped reading at Mand...

Very good player, but one of the worlds absolute best? Agree with the sentiment Tooj.

Not a fan Tooj? I think he's a really good player, and given his contribution to a treble winning side, he should be nominated. If Muller, Suarez and van Persie received nominations then so should he.

So should the other 10 players then I guess. Miller, Suarez and van Persie are all far better footballers than Mandzukic.

Not a fan Tooj? I think he's a really good player, and given his contribution to a treble winning side, he should be nominated. If Muller, Suarez and van Persie received nominations then so should he.

He's a good player but not in the same league as those that you mentioned, especially on performances alone.

So should the other 10 players then I guess. Miller, Suarez and van Persie are all far better footballers than Mandzukic.

It's an award based on the year people have had though. He won the treble with an impressive goals to games ratio. Suarez, while brilliant, didnt even play in Europe and was was banned for ten games for biting somebody.

It's just an example, but I believe he should be in there. Think there's six Bayern players on the list as it is. It's difficult for defenders to get on the list or the other ten may well have been there.

It's an award based on the year people have had though. He won the treble with an impressive goals to games ratio. Suarez, while brilliant, didnt even play in Europe and was was banned for ten games for biting somebody.

It's just an example, but I believe he should be in there. Think there's six Bayern players on the list as it is. It's difficult for defenders to get on the list or the other ten kay well have been there.

Suarez, Van Persie and Muller have all had much better years than him though.

It's just an example, but I believe he should be in there. Think there's six Bayern players on the list as it is. It's difficult for defenders to get on the list or the other ten kay well have been there.

It's based on footballing ability as well, otherwise they could give the prize to someone who has scored 200goals in some other league and won it all in that country. I think it's hard to argue with that list. The world's two best defenders got on there, Thiago and Lahm, don't see how anyone could come close to getting there. 

I dunno I that is highly debatable. Suarez's ban and van Persies dry patch in the second half of last season throw that up in the air.

I agree with your point that they're better players, but had the better year? I dunno. Agree to disagree I guess.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that Messi is picking up more injuries again after Pep has left? Pep seemed to have cracked it with him after suffering a lot of injuries in his earlier days but now he seems to be picking up lots and lots of strains of various muscles again.

That's the downside to steroids. Only joking before somebody jumps down my throat. The Spanish League is fairly shit outside the top three so I don't think Ronaldo or Messi would get anywhere near as many goals in Italy or England. Still a lot though. The teams in England and Italy could be just as bad in the main but would rarely be caught on the counter because of playing with a deeper line

I wonder if it's a coincidence that Messi is picking up more injuries again after Pep has left? Pep seemed to have cracked it with him after suffering a lot of injuries in his earlier days but now he seems to be picking up lots and lots of strains of various muscles again.

That's the downside to steroids. Only joking before somebody jumps down my throat. The Spanish League is fairly s*** outside the top three so I don't think Ronaldo or Messi would get anywhere near as many goals in Italy or England. Still a lot though. The teams in England and Italy could be just as bad in the main but would rarely be caught on the counter because of playing with a deeper line

Still they seem to get twice as much as the PL strikers in the CL...Ronaldo got a shit load in the PL as well didn't he? (30+?? )

That's the downside to steroids. Only joking before somebody jumps down my throat. The Spanish League is fairly s*** outside the top three so I don't think Ronaldo or Messi would get anywhere near as many goals in Italy or England. Still a lot though. The teams in England and Italy could be just as bad in the main but would rarely be caught on the counter because of playing with a deeper line

Still they seem to get twice as much as the PL strikers in the CL...Ronaldo got a s*** load in the PL as well didn't he? (30+?? )

Oh they'd still be top scorers in the prem just not getting about 50 league goals

It's based on footballing ability as well.

To a degree. Don't forget Michael Owen won this over the likes of Zidane, Totti and Shevchenko.

It's based on footballing ability as well.

To a degree. Don't forget Michael Owen won this over the likes of Zidane, Totti and Shevchenko.

Not the same prize, that was based purely on some journalists. This is with all the managers and captains of nationals sides as well.

It was still a prestigious award before it merged in 2010. Would an Argentinian manager or player vote for Ronaldo over Messi anyway?

Oh absolutely, my point being is that many countries will vote based purely on ability. So Messi will probably win.

If we're talking about this season, Ronaldo has been quite clearly superior. I have no idea how that is debatable tbh.

That's not to say Messi hasn't still been phenomenal - just "quite good" by his standards. Ronaldo has excelled more, possibly because he feels like he has a point to prove whereas Messi doesn't. I just think a lot of people will refuse to accept anyone other than Messi is the best player in the world at any given time, and that's not taking anything away from his insane superiority over the past few years.

We'll look back in 10-20 years and maybe then appreciate how lucky we are to have both of them playing like this at the same time.

No idea on the specifics of the injury (hamstring?) but he needs to sort himself out, even if it means missing a bit longer. A pivotal World Cup now only 7 months away and he's got big, recurring injury problems.

Guest firetotheworks

Ronaldo wins it this year almost by default like. There's no real prolonged competition alongside him and he's continued being colossal. He's probably the most complete player that I've ever seen like.