Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Didn't turn up for the whole of the tournament. He was like a normal player, good, bad, sometimes great, but not the super human white hot knife through butter pisstaking self we've seen for years at barca.

If he carried through any kind of pre 2013-14 form Argentina would have bagged this no bother.

Really wanted him to win it, but he disappointed me tonight.

Why? Not his fault his team mates couldn't finish if they do its an entirely different discussion.

It's not like he played bad, that FK was horrendous mind. :lol:

I think it's more to do with the fact that, he is probably one of the greatest players of all time, but the fact that he will have never won a World Cup will hang over him, and will always be referred to when looking back at him when talked about after he retires, so he probably deserves one.

Didn't turn up for the whole of the tournament. He was like a normal player, good, bad, sometimes great, but not the super human white hot knife through butter pisstaking self we've seen for years at barca.

If he carried through any kind of pre 2013-14 form Argentina would have bagged this no bother.

The Messi you describe hasn't existed since say 2012, he'll still get his goals and capable of ridiculous moments but he's not that ridiculous player who dominated European football for 5 years.

Nobody really mentions Cruijff not winning a World Cup, he just gets appreciated for the genius that he was.

That's a tad different, like. Not that I disagree with the overall point at hand about Messi.

Why? Not his fault his team mates couldn't finish if they do its an entirely different discussion.

He was alright in bursts but he looked mopey all game to me. I just wanted him more involved.

Guest Howaythetoon

He was very poor tonight and extremely disappointing. He didn't show for the ball enough or want the ball enough. He was lazy and went through the motions. Compare his performance to Schweinsteiger who was brilliant all game. Messi is the best of his generation, but falls short of the likes of Pele and Maradona. Quite simply he just didn't turn up in the biggest game of all.

He was alright in bursts but he looked mopey all game to me. I just wanted him more involved.

Messi has been like that for two years, basically since Guardiola left he's got lazy and doesn't get involved in the build up anywhere near as much.

Hopefully losing this will motivate him to do as such.