Midfield

Guest BooBoo

Assuming either Blackpool, Wigan, Wolves or West Ham get relegated, we should consider these midfielders:

Thomas Hitzlsperger, Matthew Jarvis, Jamie O'Hara, Charles N'Zogbia, Tom Cleverley, Jason Puncheon.

Maybe out of our price-range: Scott Parker, James Mccarthy, Charlie Adam (Probably unrealistic, but worth mentioning).

This is exactly why Ireland is worth a gamble.

All the obvious bad signs aside, where would he play? On the wing? or instead of Nolan? Purely on footballing grounds this wouldn't make sense to me..

Ireland is everything that we should avoid tbh. s*** for the last 3 seasons, yet expensive and occasionally injured or just not bothered.. 50k a week in the hope that he might get his s*** together and come good.. f*** that, I'd rather play Guthrie..at least he attempts to defend sometimes. Ireland is was a panic buy by Pardew and like I said in Januray nothing good will ever come up of this. If we are to get him again this summer, it would be in similar circumstances, which would mean that Pardew, Carr, Llambias or whoever's involved in transfers has failed spectacularly.

I agree with junkhead in that Ireland would be too much of a gamble if you are to assume that he would arrive on such high wages. 

We've done well for ourselves only loaning him and we have learnt very little about him (what he can offer to our first eleven), nowhere near enough to seriously justify what appears to be a considerable gamble.

A further loan with a view to buy would be the safest option, but I have no idea if that is feasible.

Dont forget Gosling... I think he will be canny in Barton or Nolan position next season....

The only opinions on Gosling I trust are those of two Everton fans I know on another forum.  Their opinions on Gosling were by no means flattering, and that was way before he jumped ship.  Not exactly damning, but they don't lead me to believe that he will be a surefire first team option next season or ever will be for that matter. 

'One for the future' has been banded around his signing and I think that is exactly what he should be considered.  I would be no means place any expectation on him being a significant improvement or even addition to the first team next season.

Anything other than competence as a back-up will be a huge bonus.

Guest BooBoo

Dont forget Gosling... I think he will be canny in Barton or Nolan position next season....

What basis is there for saying that though? A smattering of decent performances for Everton two seasons ago?

:lol:

Erm yeah, this point is being discussed above...

Doesn't need one of your trademark pointlessly condescending posts to point it out, does it?  You're a really good poster aside from this kind of s***.  It really is pathetic.

That would mean dropping Nolan, surely?

He's slowest most one dimensional player we have in the midfield...

I do agree with that, but I wouldn't want us to sign a really limited physical player.

That would mean dropping Nolan, surely?

He's slowest most one dimensional player we have in the midfield...

I do agree with that, but I wouldn't want us to sign a really limited physical player.

Yeah, and he might not be easy to replace. But although he's played a big part in getting us to where we are, if we're going to push on we need someone with more pace in that position.

I haven't seen enough of Gosling to know if he can step up.

If we had:

LM: Jonas, Ben Arfa, Ferguson

CM: Tiote, Nolan, Barton, Ireland, Guthrie

RM: NEW, Barton, R. Taylor

DM: Tiote, Gosling, Smith

I'd be satisfied with the depth of each position.

Assuming we sell Routledge, we need a new right mid/winger.  Larsson would do.

Still think we need a central midfielder me, like.

People will say we have depth there, but none of them bar Tiote are going to take us anywhere. Would love somebody with  the confidence to control and play the ball in the centre of the park, somebody with good passing range and decent enough energy to get around the field. Tiote does too much of the work in there at the moment.

So aye, if there's enough money floating round a centre mid and a versatile winger in the summer. That's on top of the strikers  :lol:

Still think we need a central midfielder me, like.

People will say we have depth there, but none of them bar Tiote are going to take us anywhere. Would love somebody with  the confidence to control and play the ball in the centre of the park, somebody with good passing range and decent enough energy to get around the field. Tiote does too much of the work in there at the moment.

So aye, if there's enough money floating round a centre mid and a versatile winger in the summer. That's on top of the strikers  :lol:

:thup:

Forgetting any potential replacements we may need in defence. Our main issues right now to me is a need to replace Nolan, along of course with up front. Not knocking what he's done at all for us, he's played a big part these past 2 years. But he's not a top 10 player, if that's what this club is aiming for next year. We need a player that can work alongside Tiote, dictate play when needed, link up with the front 2, whoever they may be. If they're good in a dead ball situation too, to get Barton off that duty, then all the better.