Midfield

Guest BooBoo

Have to agree with everything the OP said.

I'd add that I don't think Barton will cut it as a right sided midfielder now that he doesn't have Carroll to aim for. We need to switch him back into the middle (Yes, I realise this leaves Tiote, Barton and Nolan comepeting for 2 places) and get a decent, pacy right winger. Or better still, get a decent pacy left winger and put Jonas on the right. I always have been and always will be baffled at why a completely right-footed player is continually deployed on the left wing, and then people criticise his final ball. Madness.

Pure uneducated guess, but would Tiote and Barton work together? Just don't feel Barton is attack-minded enough. Yes he can put good balls in no doubt, but I feel we need more flair than Barton can provide that end of the pitch.

Assuming either Blackpool, Wigan, Wolves or West Ham get relegated, we should consider these midfielders:

Thomas Hitzlsperger, Matthew Jarvis, Jamie O'Hara, Charles N'Zogbia, Tom Cleverley, Jason Puncheon.

Maybe out of our price-range: Scott Parker, James Mccarthy, Charlie Adam (Probably unrealistic, but worth mentioning).

Matt Jarvis would be excellent. O'Hara too.

Truthly N'Zogbia is the best player mentioned there. If he or Rodallega has a good game, Wigan get points. Not sure about his attitude though.

I don't think we need creativity in the middle tbh. If we have an energetic central midfielder who is comfortable playing a short passing game we would be fine.

We need creativity from wide areas. kranjcar is a great call.

More than anything we need options. Right now if the midfield 4 isn't working then we will struggle.

Pure uneducated guess, but would Tiote and Barton work together? Just don't feel Barton is attack-minded enough. Yes he can put good balls in no doubt, but I feel we need more flair than Barton can provide that end of the pitch.

I don't think it's an ideal combination in a 4-4-2, where you really want one of the CMs to get forward into the penalty area. Barton is more of a playmaker. I don't think Barton lacks flair, it's just that he tends to set up chances rather than get on the end of them.

We had this situation with Parker and Emre, where they ended up playing side by side a lot of the time.

would be a gamble to replace nolan and one that i dont think will be made. ironicly i think the only first teamer who'll be replaced will be jonas and he's the last one i would look at. barton and nolan should be changed before him imo (i'd leave tiote obvs). depends on the ambition as always

Guest pleno1

Nolan would be a good sub to bring on to try and nab a goal. Good squad player and good player in the dressing room, can't be starting though as he literally can't run. He does well when defenders shut off/go to sleep so putting him on later when he's fresh and hungry is definitely going to be the best idea.

I don't think we need creativity in the middle tbh. If we have an energetic central midfielder who is comfortable playing a short passing game we would be fine.

We need creativity from wide areas. kranjcar is a great call.

More than anything we need options. Right now if the midfield 4 isn't working then we will struggle.

Creativity would be nice in the middle, when we've had it in the past in Gascoigne it can transform an ordinary team into a good one. But those sort of players are like gold dust so I would agree that just to get a decent player with a good engine and some mobility and an eye for goal will do just fine.

I don't think it's an ideal combination in a 4-4-2, where you really want one of the CMs to get forward into the penalty area. Barton is more of a playmaker. I don't think Barton lacks flair, it's just that he tends to set up chances rather than get on the end of them.

We had this situation with Parker and Emre, where they ended up playing side by side a lot of the time.

One of Barton's best games this season imo was away to Everton alongside Tiote. Frequently drifted into an attacking midfield position and looked a real threat because he was able to "play football" with Ben Arfa. At the same time, the goal against Villa early on in the season is an example of what Barton can do in terms of his ranged shooting, something we do lack. Personally think a Tiote Barton partnership could be an excellent one, and it would differ completely to the Emre-Parker experiment primarily because we'd not have the problem with roles that those two had. Emre-Parker was a confused partnership because Roeder tried to turn Parker into a box-to-box midfielder whilst having Emre holding, which was a waste of their respective talents. With this it's very simple - Tiote is the defensive midfielder, Barton is the attacking one.

The main problem with Barton though is that he's such a hit-and-miss player. If he's finding the opposition with every other pass (as sometimes happens) and generally being slow/sloppy/unfocused, then we'll have no creativity down the middle. However, two good strikers, Ben Arfa down the left, and a good right winger, and I think we'd see far more from Barton than we have so far. This season he's played a good number of quality through balls and long ranged passes, most of which have been wasted by the likes of Shola and Lovenkrands, so if we could bring in strikers like Gervinho/Gameiro/etc, decent footballers with a bit of pace, it could make a big difference to how effective Barton is as a CM.

The unreliability might be the dealbreaker though. Hence why I would definitely be glad to see us bring in another CM with some creativity. Ideally two, with Smith being moved on and a backup DM for Tiote coming.

One of Barton's best games this season imo was away to Everton alongside Tiote. Frequently drifted into an attacking midfield position and looked a real threat because he was able to "play football" with Ben Arfa. At the same time, the goal against Villa early on in the season is an example of what Barton can do in terms of his ranged shooting, something we do lack. Personally think a Tiote Barton partnership could be an excellent one, and it would differ completely to the Emre-Parker experiment primarily because we'd not have the problem with roles that those two had. Emre-Parker was a confused partnership because Roeder tried to turn Parker into a box-to-box midfielder whilst having Emre holding, which was a waste of their respective talents. With this it's very simple - Tiote is the defensive midfielder, Barton is the attacking one.

The main problem with Barton though is that he's such a hit-and-miss player. If he's finding the opposition with every other pass (as sometimes happens) and generally being slow/sloppy/unfocused, then we'll have no creativity down the middle. However, two good strikers, Ben Arfa down the left, and a good right winger, and I think we'd see far more from Barton than we have so far. This season he's played a good number of quality through balls and long ranged passes, most of which have been wasted by the likes of Shola and Lovenkrands, so if we could bring in strikers like Gervinho/Gameiro/etc, decent footballers with a bit of pace, it could make a big difference to how effective Barton is as a CM.

The unreliability might be the dealbreaker though. Hence why I would definitely be glad to see us bring in another CM with some creativity. Ideally two, with Smith being moved on and a backup DM for Tiote coming.

I'd like to see Barton moved more into the centre, because like you say on form he has a good range of passes and thinks creatively. The more involved he is, the better, and at the moment he often ends up drifting inside from the wing in order to get involved, which can create problems.

The problem with him playing centrally in a 4-4-2 is he's not quick or athletic enough to be the ideal attacking midfield player in that formation. If we were in a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1, it would be a lot better.

I'd like to see Barton moved more into the centre, because like you say on form he has a good range of passes and thinks creatively. The more involved he is, the better, and at the moment he often ends up drifting inside from the wing in order to get involved, which can create problems.

The problem with him playing centrally in a 4-4-2 is he's not quick or athletic enough to be the ideal attacking midfield player in that formation. If we were in a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1, it would be a lot better.

Cos he's got the space out wide to do it, whereas he wouldn't in the middle.

People keep saying that but Barton made his name as a central midfielder and it's not like he's over the hill to explain why the deterioration should be permanent. If he can no longer handle the pace in central midfield then you can understand why there's a reluctance to give him too long a contract.

People keep saying that but Barton made his name as a central midfielder and it's not like he's over the hill to explain why the deterioration should be permanent. If he can no longer handle the pace in central midfield then you can understand why there's a reluctance to give him too long a contract.

Have a feeling we'll cash in on Barton this summer if a good offer comes. I have a lot of respect for his determination and the way he turned his career here but selling him won't be the end of the world, as long as he's replaced obviously.

Nolan is a tricky one in that while he's a passenger for the majority of games he's still one of the top scoring centre mids in the league and while there is no saying he can keep it up I'm not sure we can just drop him in the hope that the rest of the team covers the goals he's getting, for years we've complained about a lack of goals coming from midfield and how it puts too much pressure on our strikers yet now we've got someone that has got into double figures we're keen to move him out of the starting 11.

Anyone know who the last centre mid to get into double figures for us in the league in a season was?

The point about them struggling due to what they have playing in front of them in attack is a valid one and fingers crossed that will be rectified in the summer, with Ben Arfa bridging the midfield and attack (something we've lacked since Bellamy left) then there's a good chance it will leave more room for Nolan to exploit, I think if we can bring back N'Zogbia and look to replace the poorer squad players with free/cheap improvements then the midfield would be the least of our worries then.