NUFC summer activity prediction thread

Pilko

I'll be surprised if we spend a significant amount of cash. Why buy N'zogbia when we can get Marveux in on a free. Just Enrique, Gutierrez, Barton, Colo, Tiote left to cash in on now. Hopefully by this time next year he'll have recouped his cash and will finally sell up and f*** off for good.

:thup:

This. I'm not saying we're doing poor business in this tranfer window. We're buying actually good players for almost nothing. Sadly, by splashing virtually no cash, it seems to me that it's same old Mike Ashley.

My thoughts exactly.

He's running the club how he runs his other businesses with his market trader mentality. If it works then we've got a strong financial footing and a decent squad that cost very little and is on lower than average wages.

If it doesn't work then it's the old case of penny wise, pound foolish.

And ultimately football is a very different industry to flogging sportswear.

What impresses me about Ashley is he's not afraid to back his judgement and make an unorthodox decision. He doesn't follow the crowd, he thinks things out for himself. At first, he got things wrong, but he's learned.

At some stage since he bought the club, he must have asked why he was buying players for x millions when similar players could be available on a free or for fractions of the amount. Simple as that, really.

I'll be surprised if we spend a significant amount of cash. Why buy N'zogbia when we can get Marveux in on a free. Just Enrique, Gutierrez, Barton, Colo, Tiote left to cash in on now. Hopefully by this time next year he'll have recouped his cash and will finally sell up and f*** off for good.

This. I'm not saying we're doing poor business in this tranfer window. We're buying actually good players for almost nothing. Sadly, by splashing virtually no cash, it seems to me that it's same old Mike Ashley.

:lol:

Does not compute

Guest Mantis

So basically, since we have a lot of money, we have to splash it? Despite Ba being a good player and Marveaux seemingly a good player with a decent reputation? No point in splashing cash for the sake of it. It's not like these players are s*** and just squad fillers. Ashley does a good job in getting players in on the cheap and he gets slated, would you rather we did a Liverpool and splash 20 mill on someone like Henderson?

Exactly. Maybe a player will become available near the end of the window who will actually require money to buy, and we may be saving the cash for that kind of transfer.

If we can get more highly-rated freebies in, rather than old crocks like Joe Cole, then it can only be a good thing.

Remember we got Jonas through a similar fashion and no one would have complained if we spent £5-7m on him.

We ended up paying nearly £5m compen for Jonas

So basically, since we have a lot of money, we have to splash it? Despite Ba being a good player and Marveaux seemingly a good player with a decent reputation? No point in splashing cash for the sake of it. It's not like these players are shit and just squad fillers. Ashley does a good job in getting players in on the cheap and he gets slated, would you rather we did a Liverpool and splash 20 mill on someone like Henderson?

Exactly. Maybe a player will become available near the end of the window who will actually require money to buy, and we may be saving the cash for that kind of transfer.

If we can get more highly-rated freebies in, rather than old crocks like Joe Cole, then it can only be a good thing.

Remember we got Jonas through a similar fashion and no one would have complained if we spent £5-7m on him.

:lol:

Sorry. I just can't see that happening.

Why do we have to spend money? If the right players are available cheap, get them.

The market is massively inflated right now, spending money is a bad idea. Look at Torres, Carroll, Bent, Henderson and Jones. All worth half that or less.

Guest Mantis

My thoughts exactly.

He's running the club how he runs his other businesses with his market trader mentality. If it works then we've got a strong financial footing and a decent squad that cost very little and is on lower than average wages.

What impresses me about Ashley is he's not afraid to back his judgement and make an unorthodox decision. He doesn't follow the crowd, he thinks things out for himself. At first, he got things wrong, but he's learned.

At some stage since he bought the club, he must have asked why he was buying players for x millions when similar players could be available on a free or for fractions of the amount. Simple as that, really.

Not 100% true.  KK & Shearer as Manager

Guest pleno1

Krul

Gosling      Colo        Williamson      Enrique

Cabaye        Tiote

Nzog                                        Fabrice

Ben Arfa

Ba

Away from home, swap Fabrice for Barton and make it a narrow 5 in midfield with zog/ben arfa speedy counterattack. This is if we dont sign anyone else except nxog, 1/2 more signings and we can be top 7 for sure.

Krul

Cabaye         Tiote

Nzog                                         Fabrice

Ben Arfa

Ba

Away from home, swap Fabrice for Barton and make it a narrow 5 in midfield with zog/ben arfa speedy counterattack. This is if we dont sign anyone else except nxog, 1/2 more signings and we can be top 7 for sure.

We bringing Pancrate back like?

Krul

Cabaye        Tiote

Nzog                                        Fabrice

Ben Arfa

Ba

Who is Fabrice?

I hope we spend some money. Not just for the sake of it, but because I think one or two additions could really propel us towards the top six. We might be top half anyway, so players like N'Zogbia could push us that bit further.

My thoughts exactly.

All he's done is just apply his usual business methods to NUFC.

Why bother selling decent sportswear brands in Lillywhites when you end up paying Nike, Adidas etc premium prices to stock their products ?

Just buy yourself some sportswear companies that are available for very little (Lonsdale, Slazenger), stick the products in the shop at cheap prices, the masses flock to lap up the "bargains" and you make a massive profit for yourself.

It makes financial sense but it's also a one dimensional / cheap & nasty approach.

Personally I think given the history of NUFC's purchases under Shepherd we need to be more prudent and picking up players on the cheap is sensible, but to build a genuinely decent squad we'll also have to spend some money on decent, well researched signings who may cost more than £5m. And I'm not convinced Ashley is willing to do that going forward.

I am still concerned as I am not sure whether it is a good idea to overhaul the first 11 to such an extent.  The latest rumours about Colo and Simpson means that at this point, it looks like we will only have Krul, Taylor and Williamson involved next season.  I wonder if the bench is still to comprise of the likes of Perch, Raylor, Guthrie etc or whether they will be improved upon.

Also, when there are so many French speaking players arriving, how much effort will they put into integrating with the rest of the squad and learning to speak English - will we be back to the old cliques in the dresssing room that the players have succeeded in eradicating in the last 2 seasons.

How does it impact the home grown rule?  At the moment, it looks like we will have to meet that with the fringe players.

If it all works then great but it sounds to me that one or two of these players are definitely the type to go missing when the going gets tough.  I still think we are taking a huge risk.

I am still concerned as I am not sure whether it is a good idea to overhaul the first 11 to such an extent.  The latest rumours about Colo and Simpson means that at this point, it looks like we will only have Krul, Taylor and Williamson involved next season.  I wonder if the bench is still to comprise of the likes of Perch, Raylor, Guthrie etc or whether they will be improved upon.

Also, when there are so many French speaking players arriving, how much effort will they put into integrating with the rest of the squad and learning to speak English - will we be back to the old cliques in the dresssing room that the players have succeeded in eradicating in the last 2 seasons.

How does it impact the home grown rule?  At the moment, it looks like we will have to meet that with the fringe players.

If it all works then great but it sounds to me that one or two of these players are definitely the type to go missing when the going gets tough.  I still think we are taking a huge risk.

Based on anything other than national stereotypes?

And racism. Don't forget the racism. O0

It's not exactly an uncommonly heard thing that Ben Arfa is not much of a team player, and the new lad is apparently the same. I wouldn't say it was an invalid concern.

It's not exactly an uncommonly heard thing that Ben Arfa is not much of a team player, and the new lad is apparently the same. I wouldn't say it was an invalid concern.

Eh? How is that anything like 'going missing'?

Bellamy and Robert was, according to many reports, not easy to handle, but they were both great on the pitch. I wouldn't give a shit if HBA and Marveaux were hard to handle off it if they are anywhere near as effective as Bellamy and Robert were on it.

It's a massive gamble, but if we keep our main core and add a few I think best we'd have looked for this season is a safe top 10 at best, whereas with the moves we've made and are making, the potentials there to really have a go at a top 7 place, and even if that does happen, we should still be relatively safe mid-table. I'd prefer the latter, having a go at higher and failing that finishing 12th, than plodding along mid-table anyway.

Guest Mantis

And racism. Don't forget the racism. O0

Where did that come from?

Eh? How is that anything like 'going missing'?

You missed the rest of that line. When the going gets tough, ie when there's hard work to be done for the benefit of the team. Tracking back, possibly filling in out of position, keeping things simple and so on.

Nobody is saying it's definitely going to be an issue, but I don't see what's so controversial about it being a concern.