Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

According to the Daily Mail, Arsenal have offered Thierry Henry a two-month loan deal.

:anguish: for the sake of himself and his reputation I hope he says no.

He has been training with the club recently (presumably to keep his fitness up). The article actually mentioned that Henry would act as cover while Chamakh and Gervinho are at the ACoN.

Can see him saying yes tbh.

EXCLUSIVE: Arsenal offer club legend Henry two-month loan deal

By Sami Mokbel

Last updated at 12:53 AM on 29th December 2011

Comments (18)

Arsenal have finally offered Thierry Henry a contract to return to the club on a two-month loan.

Arsene Wenger had been mulling over whether to take back the club’s all-time leading goalscorer to boost his side’s chances of finishing in the top four.

With Gervinho and Marouane Chamakh heading to the Africa Cup of Nations next month, the Arsenal manager has concluded that top scorer

Robin van Persie needs help to lighten his scoring burden.

Wenger decided to make the offer after the 34-year-old returned from holiday in Mexico this week. Henry has a $4.5million (£2.9m) deal with New York Red Bulls but has been training with Arsenal in the MLS off-season and does not have to return to America until March.

He could feature in seven Premier League games if he accepts the offer — as well as FA Cup ties and the first leg of Arsenal’s Champions League last-16 clash against AC Milan. But it is the Premier League where Wenger’s side need most help, with key games against Manchester United and Tottenham coming up.

Henry has impressed with his sharpness, attitude and effect on the Arsenal squad. He has become increasingly in favour of a return to the club and was moved to tears when a statue of him was unveiled at the Emirates this month.

The former Arsenal captain scored a record 226 goals and won two league titles at the club between 1999 and 2007.

His return would excite fans smarting from the summer departures of Cesc Fabregas, Gael Clichy and Samir Nasri.

He will be welcome in the dressing too, with Alex Song and Per Mertesacker among those singing the former Barcelona man’s praises.

‘He is a great opportunity for us,’ said Mertesacker after Tuesday’s frustrating 1-1 draw against Wolves.

‘But I’m not the manager. I am happy training with him. He is playing well. Training against him is a great experience. He shows his class. He has the same attitude he showed in a lot of Arsenal games.’

Mertesacker has also been in touch with fellow German Lukas Podolski, urging him to join the club in January.

Sportsmail revealed Wenger’s interest in the striker this month, and Mertesacker said: ‘Of course I’ve been on the phone to him. He is a great player. He scores a lot of goals. His left foot is unbelievable.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2079585/Thierry-Henry-offered-deal-Arsenal.html#ixzz1ht3JnQP3

According to the Daily Mail, Arsenal have offered Thierry Henry a two-month loan deal.

:anguish: for the sake of himself and his reputation I hope he says no.

He has been training with the club recently (presumably to keep his fitness up). The article actually mentioned that Henry would act as cover while Chamakh and Gervinho are at the ACoN.

Can see him saying yes tbh.

a plan B for cover, wouldnt it be nice :(

Guest kingdawson

Before we needed 3 signings in January but now i think it's gone down to two. Before the priorities was as follows...

1)CB

2) Striker

3) Right winger (Lennon cover)

now it's

1) Striker

2) Right winger

3) CB

Now if Samba is available i'd still take him 100% but with Dawson nearly returning as well as all the other cb's currently fit (touch wood that lasts) it's not so much of a priority anymore. A striker to cover Ade is now the ultimate priority. Leandro, Amauri are players weve been linked with recently and those type of strikers is what we need as we'd be totally fucked if Adebayor gets injured.

A right winger to cover Lennon is still needed in January. Hoilett seems to be the main target but we're also interested in Forrest from Celtic. Never seen him play so can't comment.

Anyway..

Pav , Gio and Bassong (if a cb is brought in) are the only players i can see leaving in January. Slight chance we might let Pienaar go too but not sure about that one.

I think Bassong would be a cracking signing for us at the right price although I would imagine Spurs would want too much.

Absolutely agree on your two top priorities, you need another striker not just to compete with Ade but also one you're happy to start with him (Harry doesn't seem keen on starting Defoe) to give you a different shape and more options for different fixtures. It's weird how reliant your shape seems to be on Lennon a lot of the time too, clearly need cover there.

There was an article in today's Independent where the headline was comparing Gareth Bale to George Best. f***ing hell.

The press certainly do a good job in overrating players. I like Bale, he's a good player imo but he's nowhere near the level of George Best man.

Guest kingdawson

I think Bassong would be a cracking signing for us at the right price although I would imagine Spurs would want too much.

Absolutely agree on your two top priorities, you need another striker not just to compete with Ade but also one you're happy to start with him (Harry doesn't seem keen on starting Defoe) to give you a different shape and more options for different fixtures. It's weird how reliant your shape seems to be on Lennon a lot of the time too, clearly need cover there.

Yep agreed. Altough against Norwich Arry admitted he gave both VDV and Bale free roles and it worked brilliantly. It was something like..

-----------------------Sandro-----------------------

-----------------Parker----------Modric-------------

-------VDV------------------------------------Bale--

-------------------------Adebayor--------------------

that was the starting formation but throughout the game vdv played far more centrally, Walker overlapped, and Bale basically played upfront whilst Ade dragged a few defenders to Bale's starting position when he dropped deep. When it work it looks great so hopefully we stick with this until a inger is purchased.

Yep agreed. Altough against Norwich Arry admitted he gave both VDV and Bale free roles and it worked brilliantly. It was something like..

-----------------------Sandro-----------------------

-----------------Parker----------Modric-------------

-------VDV------------------------------------Bale--

-------------------------Adebayor--------------------

that was the starting formation but throughout the game vdv played far more centrally, Walker overlapped, and Bale basically played upfront whilst Ade dragged a few defenders to Bale's starting position when he dropped deep. When it work it looks great so hopefully we stick with this until a inger is purchased.

Didn't see that but it shows the benefit of having two quality full backs. Plus Sandro and Parker working together will give enough cover. I hate to say it but Spurs really have some class players at the moment, a really good team.

Before we needed 3 signings in January but now i think it's gone down to two. Before the priorities was as follows...

1)CB

2) Striker

3) Right winger (Lennon cover)

now it's

1) Striker

2) Right winger

3) CB

Now if Samba is available i'd still take him 100% but with Dawson nearly returning as well as all the other cb's currently fit (touch wood that lasts) it's not so much of a priority anymore. A striker to cover Ade is now the ultimate priority. Leandro, Amauri are players weve been linked with recently and those type of strikers is what we need as we'd be totally f***ed if Adebayor gets injured.

A right winger to cover Lennon is still needed in January. Hoilett seems to be the main target but we're also interested in Forrest from Celtic. Never seen him play so can't comment.

Anyway..

Pav , Gio and Bassong (if a cb is brought in) are the only players i can see leaving in January. Slight chance we might let Pienaar go too but not sure about that one.

Forrest is one of my mates mates. Good little player. Fast as fuck and only 20, would probably be worth a punt. Villa left it too late with Maloney.

We've been down this road before, but how exactly do you know how good George Best was? His best days were over more than a decade before you were both born.

Exactly. Everyone knows television, radio and the internet only dates back to when Sifu was born. For all we know, Ryan Taylor is as good as George Best.

What good are those mediums in determining how good a player was who peaked in the late 60s/early 70s? You can't accurately gauge a player from some match highlights or YouTube compilations.

I'm not for one second suggesting Bale should be compared with Best. But it seems daft to criticise the very existence of a comparison when you have absolutely no basis whatsoever to make the opposing argument.

What good are those mediums in determining how good a player was who peaked in the late 60s/early 70s? You can't accurately gauge a player from some match highlights or YouTube compilations.

I'm not for one second suggesting Bale should be compared with Best. But it seems daft to criticise the very existence of a comparison when you have absolutely no basis whatsoever to make the opposing argument.

Other than a vast quantity of secondary sources and a reasonable amount of primary sources, you mean?

Besides, comparisons with other time periods are always invidious. I'm not that interested, just glad Bale is playing for us.