Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

Becks worked because he was a celeb outside sports, moreso with Posh Spice in tow and her friendships with Tom Cruise et al, that made yanks notice the sport. Not sure Del Piero has that "brand".

Just belt this out everywhere he goes

Del Piero will be a huge success due to the massive amount of Italian immigrants in Australia. Sydney has around 175 000 people of Italian descendancy, so their games are a guaranteed sellout, about 42 000 capacity stadium. Where I live in Fremantle, South of Perth, the town is full of Italian immigrants. So the game in Perth is going to pull a bumper crowd. His signing has the ability to attract fans to the games that have so far avoided it for whatever reason and hopefully enjoy the matchday experience, to return again.

Is there much money in the aussie game?

Always interesting to see big names passed their prime go off on mega money moves. Becks to LA, Drogba to Beijing, Owen to Stoke.

Every club is allowed two marquee players, one overseas and one australian. So Sydney will have Brett Emerton and Del Piero outside the salary cap. Earning around 3 million Aussie Dollars a year between them. The rest will fall under the salary cap which is 2.5 million dollars, looking like they will have Jason Culina as well. The bigger clubs like Sydney and Melbourne have the money to splurge on a big marquee.

Always interesting to see big names passed their prime go off on mega money moves. Becks to LA, Drogba to Beijing, Owen to Stoke.

Every club is allowed two marquee players, one overseas and one australian. So Sydney will have Brett Emerton and Del Piero outside the salary cap. Earning around 3 million Aussie Dollars a year between them. The rest will fall under the salary cap which is 2.5 million dollars, looking like they will have Jason Culina as well. The bigger clubs like Sydney and Melbourne have the money to splurge on a big marquee.

Does the A-League have a single-entity structure like MLS?

Becks to LA

I've been impressed as hell with Beckham's performance in MLS. Technical deficiencies aside, it's not an easy league to play in. Very similar to the premier league in physicality and pace, add to that the fact that every single MLS player loves to take a hack at Beckham and he has held up remarkably well, especially playing as a center-mid. For a past-his-prime 38 year old English wanker, the guy is pretty damn good.

Becks to LA

I've been impressed as hell with Beckham's performance in MLS. Technical deficiencies aside, it's not an easy league to play in. Very similar to the premier league in physicality and pace, add to that the fact that every single MLS player loves to take a hack at Beckham and he has held up remarkably well, especially playing as a center-mid. For a past-his-prime 38 year old English wanker, the guy is pretty damn good.

Plus he can still hit a free better than almost anyone, MLS or otherwise. Only Pirlo has a lighter touch, imo.

Becks to LA

I've been impressed as hell with Beckham's performance in MLS. Technical deficiencies aside, it's not an easy league to play in. Very similar to the premier league in physicality and pace, add to that the fact that every single MLS player loves to take a hack at Beckham and he has held up remarkably well, especially playing as a center-mid. For a past-his-prime 38 year old English w*****, the guy is pretty damn good.

Yeah I remember reading somewhere that he has been very impressive the last few years, especially since he moved to CM or something like that? Another reason i'd have liked to see him play in the Olympics to see him play for the first time in years.

Does the A-League have a single-entity structure like MLS?

No, most clubs have private ownership. Only one is owned by the league.

Yeah he won the championship last season, and has been very solid as a cmf-playmaker type for the last few years. He is still just as good as he's always been on free kicks, but he has really impressed me with his work rate and durability. He's one of the players that is making tackles out of position in the last 20 minutes of games for LA, which is not what you expect to see from overpaid "star players" as they close in on 40 years old.

I'd love to hate on him, mind you, because I have a load of excess hatred for man-united, but he's been a fucking good player out here and I'm kind of happy for him that he finally got his MLS trophy.

Robbie Keane and Henri haven't been bad either, but they haven't adapted as well to the "we will foul the shit out of you because we know the ref won't call it" style of the MLS

As a bonus, there was a moment in the LA/San Jose (my local club) game where a SJ player was rolling around on the ground pretending to be injured because we were up by one in the last five minutes, and Beckham chipped the ball in on him from about 20-30 yards away while play was stopped. He just took a little potshot at him, because he happened to have the ball when the ref stopped the game, and managed to drop the ball literally on top of the San Jose player as he rolled around on the ground. Unfortunately the ball ricocheted off the SJ player straight into the referee and Becks got sent off for it.

It was f***ing classic though, the San Jose player jumped right up and charged Beckham, obviously forgetting that he was "injured"

Hahahahaha yep, that's the s*** right there. Makes me think that he has a second career as an NFL punter once he's done in MLS, that is pinpoint accuracy.

Hilarious how he punks Rafael Baca out with that chest bump too. Motherfucker grows a pirate mustache and shaves half his hair off and all of a sudden he's a hard man.

his wikipedia, reckon he wrote it himself :lol:

David Michael Bentley (born 27 August 1984) is an English footballer who plays for FC Rostov on loan from Tottenham Hotspur. Though he is usually played as a winger his best position is as a central midfielder. Unfortunately the vast majority of managers living in the stone-age have yet to wrap their heads around inverted wingers or midfield threes, instead electing to play Bentley wide of a midfield four and tell him to 'stick it in the mixer', owing to Bentley's disappointing recent history. He actually possesses excellent technical skills and if someone has a brain out there they will see this and play him as a midfielder where he belongs. One can only assume that if Xavi was English he would be languishing in a pit of despair also, as we have yet to fully comprehend the changes that have happened in modern formations and play. Unfortunately for the truly talented players in Britain we fail to appreciate talent and instead force the "hit the big man - lump it long" notion onto young kids. Thankfully Spain have opened most of our eyes and Bentley, Whittingham, Guthrie, Mark Davies, Henderson and Carrick to name a few will be seen in their true light.