Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

Including Bale staying i'd say they are about 5 players away, far too many weak points and squad fillers.

No quality LB, lacking in quality CBs Vertonghen aside, No real quality AM or CF and they need a alternative/competition for Lennon.

Left-back and central defender is where they really need to strenghten. Dempsey/Holtby/Sigurdsson can do a job behind the striker. It's a shame for them that Adebayor doesn't care too much, because on his day he can be unstoppable.

The debate is what they need for a title push though.... Dempsey, Holtby and Sigurdsson are not title winning AMs.

For a title push they need 5 or 6 players of real quality IMO, there's a reason they finished 5th.

They need a RB, LB, CM, A winger and striker, at least.

Not sure I agree they need that much. A striker and a winger should do the job.

To go from 5th to winning the league they surely must need quite a bit.

Depends on whether you think there'll be a team capable of running away with it next year. I don't see a candidate for that.

True. Man Utd were 17 points ahead of them this season though, and Bale had the season of his life. Anyway, good to have more teams competing for stuff, we'll see.

Depends on whether you think there'll be a team capable of running away with it next year. I don't see a candidate for that.

True. Man Utd were 17 points ahead of them this season though, and Bale had the season of his life. Anyway, good to have more teams competing for stuff, we'll see.

I mean, I'd be surprised if they won it, but this season they were nowhere near. I think next season you could see all 5 of those twats fighting it out, because I think Spurs will be a little better, having had a full season with AVB (and therefore probably not have so bad a start to the season), and I think everyone else will be a little worse. Though I'm going to assume that City/Chelsea will end up taking the title.

Aye, that's half the reason I asked. Could be a great opportunity for them if they buy the right players.

They presumably have Rose coming back next season, him and BAE should be fine at LB. Walker can be a liability, but he's good enough and young. The last three are what they really need.

Including Bale staying i'd say they are about 5 players away, far too many weak points and squad fillers.

No quality LB, lacking in quality CBs Vertonghen aside, No real quality AM or CF and they need a alternative/competition for Lennon.

Left-back and central defender is where they really need to strenghten. Dempsey/Holtby/Sigurdsson can do a job behind the striker. It's a shame for them that Adebayor doesn't care too much, because on his day he can be unstoppable.

The debate is what they need for a title push though.... Dempsey, Holtby and Sigurdsson are not title winning AMs.

For a title push they need 5 or 6 players of real quality IMO, there's a reason they finished 5th.

I don't think that's true at all. Cohesiveness wins championships as much as talent. I don't think many would claim ManU had a better starting XI position-by-position than City or Chelsea this year. But they still ran away with the title. That's a testament to SAF, but also to how well they play as a single unit. Spurs too play very well as a team. With an addition or two, they're quite capable of challenging for the title in AVB's second year there, especially considering the managerial turnover at the top 3 after this season.

IMO, Bale had his best year as a pro largely because of the instability at striker. He is the kind of player who loves getting the ball and running with it...if given the time and space, he'll run the ball straight into the goal. Which is what happened this year with Adebayor not playing. Dempsey was played up top several times this season, and he certainly isn't a striker. But that's an asset with a player like Bale in the side, as Dempsey moves well and knows when to get the hell out of the way when Bale is charging forward with the ball.

If Spurs want to keep Bale as their primary weapon, which they should, they need to invest in a forward like Aguero. Someone who can put the ball in the net, but who also knows when to move and can interchange with Bale/Dempsey/Sigurdsson/Lennon/Holtby/whomever. They're too fluid a side for an Adebayor-type target forward.

I'd say they're one striker and a quality CB away at this point, though they could use another wide player to challenge Lennon. Getting Rose back will help on the left side and he can challenge for the starting LB gig.

They presumably have Rose coming back next season, him and BAE should be fine at LB. Walker can be a liability, but he's good enough and young. The last three are what they really need.

Pretty much. Walker is clearly good enough to play for a title-winning team if the other players in the team are good enough. They really need a striker and another winger to lighten the load for Bale. If I'm a Spurs fan, I'm really excited about next season.

Don't have to be a top top side to win the title like. Not sure man utd had a RB of any note this year...

Rafeal is a great player, its time to stop the fixed opinions and realise players can improve. ( not aimed at you btw just a sweeping statement)

Spurs are a lot more than 2 players away from a title challenge, you don't go from 5th to 1st with 2 players.

Don't have to be a top top side to win the title like. Not sure man utd had a RB of any note this year...

Rafeal is a great player, its time to stop the fixed opinions and realise players can improve. ( not aimed at you btw just a sweeping statement)

Spurs are a lot more than 2 players away from a title challenge, you don't go from 5th to 1st with 2 players.

Depends if those two players are Thiago Silva and Messi ;)

Walker can't defend. He's not even close to being good enough for a top, top side, imo.

His recovery speed is good enough to mask his weaknesses, and Naughton isn't a bad backup. You don't need a standout fullback to win the title if the rest of the team is playing well enough.

Spurs will thrive under Villas-Boas. They need one or two strikers and some more goals from midfield. Got all the basics of a great team there, both quality wise and in depth. They'll most likely replace Assou-Ekotto this summer which will give them some more consistency to their back four. Verthongen having to fill in at LB has been a disruptive influence. Kaboul/Dawson/Vertonghen/Caulker is probably the best CB set up in the league.

Walker can't defend. He's not even close to being good enough for a top, top side, imo.

His recovery speed is good enough to mask his weaknesses, and Naughton isn't a bad backup. You don't need a standout fullback to win the title if the rest of the team is playing well enough.

:thup:

Is Dawson even good? Every time I've seen him he's been no more than average. I have liked Caulker on the other hand but he's not good enough to be a starting central defender for a title challenging team just yet in my opinion.

Dawson started for them pretty much all season, and they were one of the best defenses in the league. I think his key strength is organizing the back four, makes a lot of hero blocks too.

:thup: Fair enough.

I was thinking of realistic signings :lol:

Is Dawson even good? Every time I've seen him he's been no more than average. I have liked Caulker on the other hand but he's not good enough to be a starting central defender for a title challenging team just yet in my opinion.

This is what i was talking about they are far away from a title challenge.... half their defence isn't even top 4 level matter about champions level.

Their midfield without Dembele and Sandro is mid table level, they have no quality 10s, Lennon is injury prone and he needs some competition anyway plus the obvious striker.

Even if they bought a quality CF, kept Bale and got a quality partner for Vertonghen and none of the contenders bought anyone they still wouldn't finish above the Mancs.

I think a lot of you are underestimating how much is needed to go from a top 4 contender to a title contender.

Same goes for Chelsea and Arsenal.

I was thinking of realistic signings :lol:

This is what i was talking about they are far away from a title challenge.... half their defence isn't even top 4 level matter about champions level.

Their midfield without Dembele and Sandro is mid table level, they have no quality 10s, Lennon is injury prone and he needs some competition anyway plus the obvious striker.

Even if they bought a quality CF, kept Bale and got a quality partner for Vertonghen and none of the contenders bought anyone they still wouldn't finish above the Mancs.

I think a lot of you are underestimating how much is needed to go from a top 4 contender to a title contender.

Same goes for Chelsea and Arsenal.

I have to think you're the one doing the underestimating here. They probably have the most depth in the backline than anyone else in the league. Kaboul is easily a top centerback if he's able to return to form after being out all season. As a group they're very solid and capable of challenging for a title. A quality striker, competition for Lennon, and one or two centermids to replace Parker and give Dembele a backup would probably put them in a shot of the title.