Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Guest Howaythetoon

Wasn't as bad as is being made out. An unsung hero's performance imo in the 2nd half. Turboshit the first.

Kept pressing and harrying, moved it quickly and attacked the ball ferociously a few times. You could tell he wasn't on his game (or didn't have the space to play it), but his heart was fully in it.

He was better in the first hald because he was getting on the ball and passing it about or trying to. He can hardly influence the game when the ball is flying over his head or he's being asked to battle for high balls and loose balls all game, that and sitting extremely deep. He needs to play further forward, and so does Tiote. They are too close together and too deep and that means the gap between the forwards and midfield is far too big.

Guest neesy111

Really starting to question my high hopes of him.  He's not the attacking midfielder I was expecting when he signed.

Really starting to question my high hopes of him.  He's not the attacking midfielder I was expecting when he signed.

got to wonder if thats him or team tactics. always more attacking from what i saw of him in lille, not scholesish but not the sit infront of the centrehalves he is now.

Guest neesy111

:lol: Because we play him as a defensive midfielder, okay....

He was playing as a CB for quite a bit 1st half.

Guest neesy111

Still think he is a quality player, just tactics aren't suited to him.

He still ouze's class when on the ball, just how do we get the best out of him :undecided:

Never thought he was as good as some people were saying that the start of the season so, I'm not overly disappointed with the odd poor performance.

Saying that, I still think he's a quality player. Tactics don't suit him (anyone in team btw?) very much at the moment.

Got to say i only saw him 2 or 3 times for lille and france and he played very, very deep for them too. He is more combative and runs around far more now though, which i suppose allows him less time to be composed on the ball.

I think we saw in a couple of games this season that he is capable of fluent, pass-and-move football where he can be a threat on the edge of the box but that demands we control possession. that's so he has more passing options and movement around him and so he's not spending most his time running backwards off the ball.

However you are not allowed to make criticisms of how players have been used under Pardew. We're 6th ffs!!

I just don't think AP is getting the best out of him (AP has failed in his promise of how the team will play: hoof ball rather than on the deck since December really): his tactics don't help, nor does lack of competition for his played. That being said I thought he was much improved in the 2nd half: you're not going to see the best out of him until next season, once he's had one full season to digest the Premier League.

Hasn't performed very well on a few occasions I've seen him play, but I'd question the movement of other players as much as his performances. He obviously has quality about him.

Still think hes just getting used to the league and the lack of space hes afforded. Hes good at closing the opposition down, but less so at making himself easily available in good positions. Which is kind of key for a playmaker.

Wasn't as bad as is being made out. An unsung hero's performance imo in the 2nd half. Turboshit the first.

Kept pressing and harrying, moved it quickly and attacked the ball ferociously a few times. You could tell he wasn't on his game (or didn't have the space to play it), but his heart was fully in it.

He was better in the first hald because he was getting on the ball and passing it about or trying to. He can hardly influence the game when the ball is flying over his head or he's being asked to battle for high balls and loose balls all game, that and sitting extremely deep. He needs to play further forward, and so does Tiote. They are too close together and too deep and that means the gap between the forwards and midfield is far too big.

The gap between the midfield and attack is massive. He's picking the ball from the CB's in the second half. He should be looking to play the strikers in.

Still think hes just getting used to the league and the lack of space hes afforded. Hes good at closing the opposition down, but less so at making himself easily available in good positions. Which is kind of key for a playmaker.

I pretty much think this too. People have to remember that this is his first season in the PL so he is, I suppose, still getting to grips with the PL (especially the physicality aspect of it). He's still learning about the English game really (for example, the QPR/Brighton games were definitely lessons for him in terms of the challenges that happens week in and week out). Come next season (and when/if we play a passing game), I'm sure Yohan will be fine.

He's definitely a quality player but unfortunately, Pardew's tactics of late have not been in favour of Cabaye's strengths. The long balls bypassing the midfield don't help whatsoever and it leaves Cabaye unable to influence the game. The passing game is the way to go if we are to get the best out of such a player. The fact that he plays so deep doesn't really help either, but like I've mentioned before:

He's a much better player if he's allowed to push up. So I say, let Tiote do all the defensive work (and Cheik does have the ability to do that all by himself anyway) and let Cabaye do all the attacking from CM. It really is as simple as that.

Guest BooBoo

Another game where he was a passenger. Struggling to remember his last influential game. No doubt it's tactics/other players fault though.

Another game where he was a passenger. Struggling to remember his last influential game. No doubt it's tactics/other players fault though.

The tactics and gameplan are strangling a number of our best players. It's no excuse making, just facts.

Guest neesy111

The tactics and gameplan are strangling a number of our best players. It's no excuse making, just facts.

It's no wonder why he comes soo deep because he isn't getting the ball enough in midfield.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

It obviously is, though. We play far too directly to suit our players' strengths.

The two central midfielders are forbidden from exiting the cage and getting forward. The ball is kicked long from the goalkeeper, centre halves and fullbacks as often as possible bypassing the deep-lying midfield. The movement from all our players is limited at absolute best.

They're not 'feeble excuses'. The style of football has regressed more and more direct as the season has gone on and as a result Cabaye isn't able to influence on games in the way he did earlier in the season.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

No excuses at all there man, it's the truth. We play long and most of the time remove the midfield completely. We pin a lot of hope on Ba and Cisse to come up with the goods.

Guest BooBoo

I know the lad has ability but at the mo he reminds me of Emre. Step it up ffa because he's contributing little at the moment.